Best insurance company?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bedrock

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We all know there is no great insurance company, but which national insurance company sucks the least?

My COBRA is running out from my old job, and I'm going to be getting a personal non-group policy for the first time.

I do use my insurance, may need a procedure in the next year, take a few chronic meds, including one trade name drug, and that procedure may take place out of state.

Debating which is the least terrible national insurance company. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

At this particular moment in my area the best is BCBS which is only god-awful. The only other ones I see are UHC and Humana and they are truly the bane of my existence. I am going to drop them.

Realistically, you are limited to what is available through the healthcare marketplace or your state medical association.

Members don't see this ad :)
I purchased healthnet ppo myself a few years ago. Recently used it and found out its a covered California plan and any plan you buy on your own outside of employment in California is an "obamacare" covered-ca plan!!!!

I purchased healthnet ppo myself a few years ago. Recently used it and found out its a covered California plan and any plan you buy on your own outside of employment in California is an "obamacare" covered-ca plan!!!!

not so sure, I spoke with blue cross last week and they were clear that there were different plans they offered for obamacare if you were under a certain income level vs a regular blue cross PPO if you made more than than that, even if buying it on your own.

That might be more of a healthnet thing. They're not really a national plan, and I have a CA friend who had to use healthnet while in NY state and almost nothing was covered

That is one reason I'm limiting myself to national PPO plans like BC/BS, Aetna, Cigna, UHC, etc.

generic blue cross blue shield. have to cover 20% tho, but you can afford that...

I've been leaning toward a blue cross plan, but as they do their med via express scripts (which sucks), I'm not as excited about their medication coverage as unfortunately I take several.
Plus I've had a lot more denials of genicular or other peripheral RFA by blue cross more than any other insurer.

UHC is terrible across the board so they're out. I hate that cigna doesn't cover much for the SIJ and I have a SIJ issue.

So right now I"m debating BC/BS vs Aetna.

What kinds of issues have you guys had with Aetna? Are they particular bad with covering anything in the pain world, or otherwise as far as you know?

Last edited: