Best Interim Option if One Does Not Match Fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which of the following is the best option to position the applicant for success in the next cycle?

• Non-ACGME Fellowship (ex. Cardiac Img, Transplant Hep., ICU Clin Assoc.) + Free-time doing research

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Hospitalist Job + Free-time doing research

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Research Fellowship Geared Towards Scholarly Work in the field

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Redpancreas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If one is set on completing XYZ fellowship, but failed to match given the competitiveness of his/her application (assuming step scores are viable, no huge red flags, no visa issues, minimal research experience), could you answer the poll about what the most viable option would be in your opinion?

Please weigh fellowship PD perspective, practicality of the choice, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends.

I imagine the variability boils down to what the weaknesses in your application are and the fellowship programs you're targeting. If you're a good candidate (viable scores that get past filters, from a US MD school, performed well in residency etc.) but you maybe didn't have the extensive research CV your colleagues did, what would be the best option for if you're willing to take any fellowship (academic, community, etc.) within GI (since that's presumably your area based on the username)?

Last I heard, Temple was still guaranteeing GI fellowship to their motility fellows. That seems like the best deal I’ve heard about. Not sure if it’s still true.