Best known EM Docs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makesomerheum

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

I plan on going into EM but am still unfamiliar with the well-known names in the field. Does anyone mind throwing out the big names and what programs they are associated with? Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Lewis Goldfrank is well known for tox and EM. He's at Bellview.
Peter Rosen at UCSD.
Judith Tintinalli at Chapel Hill.
Bob McNamarra at Temple.
Not complete. Just off the top of my head.

O. John Ma -- ultrasound text author, chair in Oregon
Louis Ling -- tox at Hennepin County
Michelle Biros -- research/academics, editor-in-chief academic em, also at Hennepin County

Members don't see this ad :)
Rita Cydulka - President of ABEM - Case Western
Jedd Roe - Denver Alumnus whose been PD many places - Chair at Beaumont
Doug Rund - Textbook author, former ABEM and ACEP president, true grandfather of the profession - Ohio State
Carey Chisholm - Well known PD and SAEM President - Indiana
Joe Lex - Well known lecturer - Temple

- H

Who is Dr. Iserson (he seems to be mentioned pretty frequently here)?

Robert O'Connor - Christiana
Gabor Kelen - Johns Hopkins
Arjun Chanmugam - Johns Hopkins
Amal Mattu - University of Maryland

Who is Dr. Iserson (he seems to be mentioned pretty frequently here)?

A legend in his own mind! No seriously, he wrote a book on getting into residency (in general). A good book, but it was a bit ahead of it's time in it's assessment of the competitiveness of EM. That said, he is a well known EP. He is in Arizona (at the U of A, I think).

- H

Brian Keaton (ACEP President, Akron City)
Sandy Schneider (U. Rochester)
Jim Adams (Northwestern)
Art Kellerman (Grady)
Glenn Hamilton (former SAEM President, Wright State)

Peter Rosen is now at Beth Israel in Boston (his textbook is one of the most well-known books in all of EM)

also...
Judd Hollander, SAEM President-Elect, University of Pennsylvania

Other big contributors to the Rosen text who are also Department Chairs at very good residency programs:

Ron Walls, HAEMR (BWH)
John Marx, Carolinas
Robert Hockberger, UCLA Harbor

Don't forget Dr. Quinn!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr John Carter - EM Chicago

Caveat:

Don’t confuse big name and EM celebrity with clinical excellence and/or competence. Some of these folks have a great reputation when it comes to publication and the business end of EM issues but are average or below par when it comes to working a busy pit, ( coming from folks who have worked with them).

By the same token there are quite a few, truly amazing EM docs with stellar skills working in community and academic EDs that have no interest in “the limelight” – These are the folks you will benefit from.

Mark Green, MD. Cook County

Is he still alive?

These seem to be some of the bigger programs without anyone on this list up to this point. Anyone else? Thanks for the replies. This has been very informative.

No, it was when he ejected and hit the canopy.

WHAT!! I was hoping that he would be there if I ever did a rotation at John Stroger Hospital. There is no way that I'll be applying to chicago schools anymore.

Anyone well known at Cinci, Denver, or Highland? These seem to be some of the bigger programs without anyone on this list up to this point. Thanks for the replies. This has been very informative.
Art Pancioli at UC.

Anyone well known at Cinci, Denver, or Highland? These seem to be some of the bigger programs without anyone on this list up to this point. Thanks for the replies. This has been very informative.

Probably because 'big name' doesn't necessarily equal great clinician/mentor/whatever. And add to that most of us (at least at SDN) are really not into that whole 'who is famous' thing.

Honestly, when I start seeing this stuff, its hard for me to not roll my eyes. :D Not at the OP, just at the concept in general.

highland has barry simon...known for writing one of the first ultraounds books

highland has barry simon...known for writing one of the first ultraounds books

HGH has a ton of amazing attendings - none of them are big into grabbing the limelight though, so not sure they will have the fame that the OP seems to be looking for.

Look at the Editor list in the front of Academic EM and Annals of EM - the most well known academics in the specialty, and teachers within their field are recognized as Editors in their specialty journals.

I've always been advised throughout med school to look at these places as a source of the well known names. I also used this as a list to start looking at programs this year when I was applying. It did me well during interviews to have a familiarity of these names and programs and led me to some really great places.

BTW, the more recognized programs are also listed there as the home of each of the Editors.
:cool:

Robert Simon - Chair at Cook
Harvey Meislin - Chair at the U of A (President of ABMS)
Peter Rosen - (Also spends some time here at the u of A) Jan thru March (doesnt do clinical)

I can think of a few other faculty we have here John Sakles "Airway man" who is pretty famous. Sam Keim as well.

Anyways I am biased and not afraid to admit it.

Oh and I would throw in Quinn and DocB.. those guys are GREAT!

where's dr. chuck norris these days?

A legend in his own mind! No seriously, he wrote a book on getting into residency (in general). A good book, but it was a bit ahead of it's time in it's assessment of the competitiveness of EM. That said, he is a well known EP. He is in Arizona (at the U of A, I think).

- H

What does it mean that it was ahead if its time in its assessment of the competitiveness of EM? Was it an overestimate at the time, but currently accurate?

Denver has/had some big names. Some of them retired in the last year and some will be retiring soon. They are well known for certain niches and being a very well established program.

On a separate note, I would like to second the comment about "big names in EM" not necessarily being the best teachers. Some "big names" get that designation through great research and not through their interaction with patients, residents, students or faculty.

Denver has/had some big names. Some of them retired in the last year and some will be retiring soon. They are well known for certain niches and being a very well established program.

On a separate note, I would like to second the comment about "big names in EM" not necessarily being the best teachers. Some "big names" get that designation through great research and not through their interaction with patients, residents, students or faculty.

I must say you've got one of the more interesting names on here. I assume by "some dude's hot me" that the "hot me" is you and "some dude" is your boyfriend?

When you walk into any ER and if you talk to the person who was just shot, they will always say: I was minding my own business and some dude shot me.

If you ask the person who was just beaten, they will always answer: I was minding my own business and some dudeS jumped me. (it is always plural)

And if you ask the person who was just stabbed, the answer is: I was minding my own business and (wait for it... wait for it...) that b**** stabbed me!

This is much funnier in person. Sorry if you read all of this post and if I offended anyone.

When you walk into any ER and if you talk to the person who was just shot, they will always say: I was minding my own business and some dude shot me.

If you ask the person who was just beaten, they will always answer: I was minding my own business and some dudeS jumped me. (it is always plural)

And if you ask the person who was just stabbed, the answer is: I was minding my own business and (wait for it... wait for it...) that b**** stabbed me!

This is much funnier in person. Sorry if you read all of this post and if I offended anyone.

Dude - over the past 4 years, this forum has been BUILT on those words - you are very certainly NOT the first one to use them! Hell, I say this: "The most dangerous job in the United States? Astronaut? Lumberjack? Firefighter? Commercial fisherman? Amateurs. It's 'minding your own business'."

Also, one dude can stab or shoot you, but, if it's an unarmed assault, it's at least 2 dudes, because one guy can't, by himself, kick your ass.

Dude - over the past 4 years, this forum has been BUILT on those words - you are very certainly NOT the first one to use them! Hell, I say this: "The most dangerous job in the United States? Astronaut? Lumberjack? Firefighter? Commercial fisherman? Amateurs. It's 'minding your own business'."

Also, one dude can stab or shoot you, but, if it's an unarmed assault, it's at least 2 dudes, because one guy can't, by himself, kick your ass.

Damn, Appol, you're creeping up on the 10K posts. That's alot of 'some dudes' that have been logging in and leaving messages on your behalf....

Lewis Goldfrank is well known for tox and EM. He's at Bellview.
Peter Rosen at UCSD.
Judith Tintinalli at Chapel Hill.
Bob McNamarra at Temple.
Not complete. Just off the top of my head.

By the way, I found Goldfrank's nonfiction book (not written by him) about being a EM doc (some generic name like "ER doc") to be pretty dull. I bought it because of the name, but returned it after reading 12 pages because I was so bored.

By the way, I found Goldfrank's nonfiction book (not written by him) about being a EM doc (some generic name like "ER doc") to be pretty dull. I bought it because of the name, but returned it after reading 12 pages because I was so bored.
I read the whole thing and I agree. Pretty dull.

I find this to be an exceedingly accurate description, of me anyway.

People in Cleveland are tougher. It takes 10 dudes to kick your ass, at least two dudes to jump you and stab you.... "some dude" can bust a cap, though.

mike