Best Laptop for Post-bacc and Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hawktux09

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I just received my acceptance to Loyola University in New Orleans to their Post bacc which I am extremely excited about. I took a couple of science classes in college and used my laptop which no longer works. I am wondering what laptops or tablets or a 2-in-1 you use that you find most useful.

Right now I have my eyes on a surface laptop or tablet, but Id like to hear everyone's experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I just received my acceptance to Loyola University in New Orleans to their Post bacc which I am extremely excited about. I took a couple of science classes in college and used my laptop which no longer works. I am wondering what laptops or tablets or a 2-in-1 you use that you find most useful.

Right now I have my eyes on a surface laptop or tablet, but Id like to hear everyone's experiences.
I have a hp Pavillion that works great I would suggest one of those especially touch screen. The only thing I would stress to be careful about is to not get one with a crappy cpu. I have had a few laptops in the past that were super cheap and after a few years of updates and general use the cpu would make the laptop so slow it was unusable. I'd get an i3 or amd equivalent to prevent that. My laptops 4+ years old and still works great minus a short battery life and has a cpu equivalent of an i3.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a hp Pavillion that works great I would suggest one of those especially touch screen. The only thing I would stress to be careful about is to not get one with a crappy cpu. I have had a few laptops in the past that were super cheap and after a few years of updates and general use the cpu would make the laptop so slow it was unusable. I'd get an i3 or amd equivalent to prevent that. My laptops 4+ years old and still works great minus a short battery life and has a cpu equivalent of an i3.
THIS^^^^. After you decide whether you are an Apple or Windows fan, the only real decision is whether you need it to be light to carry to class and/or the library, or if weight is less of an issue because it's going to be mostly kept at home. Beyond that, cheaply made ones with low end CPUs will be pretty cheap.

Decent Windows machines that will last a few years (Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.) will start at around $1,000 and go up from there. Touch screen, screen size, etc., is all personal preference. The nice thing about Apple is there are very few choices, which makes selection easy. :) The only real rule is less expensive machines will need to be replaced more often, both because they will fall apart and because they will become obsolete sooner than better built, higher end machines.

Members don't see this ad :)
THIS^^^^. After you decide whether you are an Apple or Windows fan, the only real decision is whether you need it to be light to carry to class and/or the library, or if weight is less of an issue because it's going to be mostly kept at home. Beyond that, cheaply made ones with low end CPUs will be pretty cheap.

Decent Windows machines that will last a few years (Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.) will start at around $1,000 and go up from there. Touch screen, screen size, etc., is all personal preference. The nice thing about Apple is there are very few choices, which makes selection easy. :) The only real rule is less expensive machines will need to be replaced more often, both because they will fall apart and because they will become obsolete sooner than better built, higher end machines.
They got ones on Amazon that should last at least 5 years for around 500$. 1000 may be a little overkill if money is tight for op

They got ones on Amazon that should last at least 5 years for around 500$. 1000 may be a little overkill if money is tight for op
Depends on how it's used. I carry a Dell XPS between class, the library and my room. It crapped out on me in 2.5 years, and it cost over $1K new. If someone would have better luck with a $500 computer, more power to them.

I was also trying to echo what you were saying about older CPUs, by definition, being closer to obsolescence. I haven't tried it, but I can't imagine any $500 computer subject to even a moderate amount of abuse lasting 5 years, but, I guess everyone has a different definition of ordinary wear and tear, and anything is possible.

I don't like the inconvenience of being without my computer while I'm fighting to get it taken care of under an extended warranty, and figure spending more and having it last longer is worth it. YMMV, especially if someone would have better luck with a less expensive machine.

Depends on how it's used. I carry a Dell XPS between class, the library and my room. It crapped out on me in 2.5 years, and it cost over $1K new. If someone would have better luck with a $500 computer, more power to them.

I was also trying to echo what you were saying about older CPUs, by definition, being closer to obsolescence. I haven't tried it, but I can't imagine any $500 computer subject to even a moderate amount of abuse lasting 5 years, but, I guess everyone has a different definition of ordinary wear and tear, and anything is possible.

I don't like the inconvenience of being without my computer while I'm fighting to get it taken care of under an extended warranty, and figure spending more and having it last longer is worth it. YMMV, especially if someone would have better luck with a less expensive machine.
Sorry man that sounds like bad luck honestly, it should have lasted you longer. Mine still works but the battery life is garbage unless it's plugged in to charge. I think if he's using it for school only something with an i3 cpu should be plenty to last a while. 1k range I think would be more like an office laptop that can handle alot of programs running at once and 1.5k up is video editing/gaming.

Sorry man that sounds like bad luck honestly, it should have lasted you longer. Mine still works but the battery life is garbage unless it's plugged in to charge. I think if he's using it for school only something with an i3 cpu should be plenty to last a while. 1k range I think would be more like an office laptop that can handle alot of programs running at once and 1.5k up is video editing/gaming.
Hey, if you want to hear a vent, I'll be happy to share! The computer tech at the repair shop told me he's seen a bunch of my issue with the Dells. Apparently, even though they are stupid expensive and slick as can be (and very highly rated to boot!), they tend to overheat and fry the motherboard. Apparently, one of the things they don't have room for is a fan, and whatever engineering is supposed to keep this from happening isn't working with the Dells, unless their expected life is 2 years. :)

So, bottom line with the Dell is that I played myself. I paid up for tech and style, but build quality is consumer grade. You're right, I'm thinking of corporate grade laptops, not so much for multitasking, even though I can't believe our needs are any less than office drones. The lesson I learned is to buy a better built machine due to the wear and tear I subject it to as a student. If someone agrees with my reasoning, and unless they find an off lease refurb with older components, this is what a decent machine will cost.

Last edited:
A lot of medical students I know use an iPad, especially for anatomy and physiology and for general note taking. I'd buy an iPad Air or iPad Pro and then buy MacBook Pro 13". Apple products tend to play well together.

Reactions: 4 users
A lot of medical students I know use an iPad, especially for anatomy and physiology and for general note taking. I'd buy an iPad Air or iPad Pro and then buy MacBook Pro 13". Apple products tend to play well together.
+1, plus their new M1 chips are a monster.

I've been using the Surface Book 3 for the past few months and it's been great for taking notes at work. It's way too expensive though imo.
iPad + Mac is the way to go unless you have loads of money to spend.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks yall for the input! I much prefer windows and I have a desktop setup at my home that I would use for homework, but I definitely like the idea of an iPad, especially with a keyboard, however I do not like mac books.

I'm a MS1 and I love the combo that is the Macbook 13in + iPad. Assuming at least some of your future classes will be zoom, it's really really nice to have lecture on one screen, and my note taking on the iPad. For note taking, I use an app called Notability. It's very user friendly, allows me to air drop my lecture ppt's right into the app, organize them all, allows me to annotate with the apple pencil straight onto the slides, allows me to take pictures and insert them, as well as capturing audio recording that's synced to your handwriting. Honestly, it's the best way to take notes. I strongly encourage you to learn the way of the Macbook because it is sooo intuitive once you do. Additionally, iPad + apple pencil (gen 1 is fine) + folding apple cover/keyboard is the only tablet combo I can recommend.

Thanks yall for the input! I much prefer windows and I have a desktop setup at my home that I would use for homework, but I definitely like the idea of an iPad, especially with a keyboard, however I do not like mac books.
I also prefer Windows and I have a desktop right now that I plan keep on using as my main device.

I'm looking to get a 15" HP Spectre 360 which is a tablet/laptop combo. I do like iPads so I might supplement w/ an iPad but I don't think the MacBooks are a good value for your money. I was also thinking about a Dell XPS since it has the new Tiger Lake CPU which gives you really good battery life and performance in ultralight laptops.

I've had the same Surface pro (8 gb ram, 250 gb SSD) for 5+ years and it's been a reliable way to annotate my notes on ppts in Onenote. You could even get one of these surface go's which are significantly cheaper and a little less powerful if you want to get a separate laptop+tablet setup. I have a laptop plugged into a monitor for dual screening, then use the tablet for note-taking. It's worked well for me during an SMP where I take all first-year med classes.

Last edited:
I also prefer Windows and I have a desktop right now that I plan keep on using as my main device.

I'm looking to get a 15" HP Spectre 360 which is a tablet/laptop combo. I do like iPads so I might supplement w/ an iPad but I don't think the MacBooks are a good value for your money. I was also thinking about a Dell XPS since it has the new Tiger Lake CPU which gives you really good battery life and performance in ultralight laptops.
I have a 2020 HP Spectre (a larger one though) and the touch screen/stylus functionality is amazing. It also runs video games pretty well. The weight is a bit hefty but not a deal-breaker for me and the aesthetic of the laptop is great.

I am planning to splurge on a monitor to connect the laptop to for at-home studying.

....I'm also too poor for the Apple laptop/iPad combo LOL so this one works fantastically for my needs. I might look into a tablet for clinical rotations but that's a problem for two years from now.

I have a 2020 HP Spectre (a larger one though) and the touch screen/stylus functionality is amazing. It also runs video games pretty well. The weight is a bit hefty but not a deal-breaker for me and the aesthetic of the laptop is great.

I am planning to splurge on a monitor to connect the laptop to for at-home studying.

....I'm also too poor for the Apple laptop/iPad combo LOL so this one works fantastically for my needs. I might look into a tablet for clinical rotations but that's a problem for two years from now.
Do you have any issues with overheating? I saw that was one of the issues associated with the device.

Do you have any issues with overheating? I saw that was one of the issues associated with the device.
I mean, I've run videogames during Zoom meetings (lol) and it's fine, but when you pull stuff like that you'll hear the fans run. It's pretty easy to monitor that though and by cleaning the vents and taking care of your hardware it shouldn't be an issue. I haven't actually had overheating to the point of concern, it's stuff you'd expect

I mean, I've run videogames during Zoom meetings (lol) and it's fine, but when you pull stuff like that you'll hear the fans run. It's pretty easy to monitor that though and by cleaning the vents and taking care of your hardware it shouldn't be an issue. I haven't actually had overheating to the point of concern, it's stuff you'd expect
Well I have a pretty powerful setup w/ my desktop so I doubt I'd run anything stronger than some statistics software on the laptop. But it's good that you aren't having any issues. Some of the reviews I read it made it sound the laptop was on the verge of spontaneously combusting w/ Excel.

Well I have a pretty powerful setup w/ my desktop so I doubt I'd run anything stronger than some statistics software on the laptop. But it's good that you aren't having any issues. Some of the reviews I read it made it sound the laptop was on the verge of spontaneously combusting w/ Excel.
Yeah, I think to an extent it's also a luck thing (I have a friend who had to send her iPad for repairs like twice within a year). I think my biggest complaint about this laptop, in particular, is its weight, but I also like larger screens for accessibility reasons so it comes with that territory. Its performance makes that worth it.

Do you mind telling me your stats for that you applied with?