Best life insurance policy ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angry Birds

Angry Troll
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What you guys recommend?

I saw this from the AMA, but it only covers accidental death or injury. Yeah, what if I just... die?

Members don't see this ad.

I've written an article about how to buy life insurance. It isn't complicated. Basically, get an online free instantaneous quote from one of several places then go to an independent agent and have the policy written up. Do the physical. Go back in two weeks and sign the policy. Voila-you're insured.

But don't buy it from your professional society and certainly don't buy just an accidental death policy.

Reactions: 3 users
Life insurance is simple. It's all about price as long as you're buying the right kind (term, level). Figure out what you need, then get as many quotes as you can. You don't need accidental death and disability. Why would your husband/wife need more money if you die from an accident vs. not an accident?

Figure out when you will achieve financial independence, then figure out how much you will need to pay off your mortgage, student loans, put your kids through college and let your spouse live off of until that time.

I'm a fellow. I have a level, term policy for 10 years. When I graduate, that will be 8 years old and I will add a 20 and 30 year policy with each of the three policies being equal amounts, because I will need less as I move closer to financial independence. I will never add another policy after that. That staggered amount should work well for my family. I would prefer to have all of that in place now, but my wife and child would be fine with why is currently in place. If/when I have the mortgage paid off, kids college saved for and am approaching enough to retire, I will start peeling them off.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i've tried pushing some friends away from whole life and despite most everyone (wci, ramsey, clark Howard, etc) advising against it I just can't seem to get through to them

Term, level......it's literally that boring

Any advice on talking sense to people?

Reactions: 1 user
i've tried pushing some friends away from whole life and despite most everyone (wci, ramsey, clark Howard, etc) advising against it I just can't seem to get through to them

Term, level......it's literally that boring

Any advice on talking sense to people?
I've given up. Anyone talking about whole life gets a "that's interesting, but it's not for me. I think I've read about how it might not be as good a deal as it sounds", a link to WCI's website if they want to read more on their own, and the subject dropped.

Reactions: 1 user