Best Lifestyle:Difficulty matching ratio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Gerrard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I have heard, Psychiatry and PM&R

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Oh look, it's this thread again.

lol i know there are obviously threads devoted to lifestyle, but i couldn't find any about lifestyle related to difficulty matching in particular

all the lifestyle threads might mention it, but i figured a new topic devoted to it isn't that big of a deal.. since it is something everyone likes talking about :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going for psych. I know of at least one program near my school with no call whatsoever. I think you make decent cash too, and I'm not looking to get super rich. Yea. Not sure I'm competitive though.

FYI, I decided ob was out of my reach so now I'm going for psych instead match 2013. Plus I read somewhere psychiatrists are as crazy as their patients. If that's the case it's a perfect fit!

I am going for psych. I know of at least one program near my school with no call whatsoever. I think you make decent cash too, and I'm not looking to get super rich. Yea. Not sure I'm competitive though.

FYI, I decided ob was out of my reach so now I'm going for psych instead match 2013. Plus I read somewhere psychiatrists are as crazy as their patients. If that's the case it's a perfect fit!
OB is out of the reach of no one. Seriously, everyone can land an OB, Psych, Peds spot.

You're kidding yourself if you think OB is lifestyle friendly compared to FM, Psych, and PM&R

EM is probably on par with Ob/gyn and PM&R in terms of difficulty getting in...harder than primary care, but very doable for most US students. If you don't mind weirder hours, you typically work a 36 hour week with no call and can make lots of money.

Psych, PMR, a lot of FM programs aren't bad.

The worst ratio is probably neurosurgery.

Trust me you can do things as a US med student that will prevent you from matching in any field...

Last edited:
If you're an AMG and have a pulse, you'll have an excellent shot at path.

in the context of this thread, psych is king