Best Loupes + Light Budget $1,200-$1,500

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smiley25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting DSchool in the fall and wanting to do some research on loupes. There is so much information out there that I don't even know where to start. Like I mentioned before, I am looking to spend between $1,200 and $1,500. I want the ones that work and feel the best. Also the longevity of them is important as well. Thanks for your suggestions!

Members don't see this ad.

Wait until you talk to the one of bazillion reps you'll come across when you start. Get hooked up with student pricing.

I have no idea about cost. Though from some older posts the majority view is: 3.5+ magnification, prismatic if you can afford it, ultralight from (DFV?). As for brand/style you have to try them on or you may have just wasted your money, seeing how comfort and being able to wear them the majority of the day becomes the biggest issue.

I'm not a D1 yet so I have no idea what I am saying, just regurgitating sdn info.

Members don't see this ad :)
There really is no hurry to get your loupes/light now. Talk to the reps and try out their demos before making a decision.

+1 for trying out the demos. Everyone seems to differ on which ones they like more.

agree with the others for tryin demos.

however, if you're looking for my opinion:
3.5x DFV loupes - buddy holly frames
lumadent light

hup

I think you and your classmates would be doing a great disservice to yourselves if you didn't invite reps from various companies and get them to buy you lunch for a lunch-n-learn. Just remember every single rep has the "best loupes on the market". You just have to try them out and see what you like best. Our class actually got some pretty killer deals on orascopic because so many of us wanted theirs. I liked orascopic and DFV the most.

Get the lumadent light I got one and love it. A light is a light unless you just really want to pay a couple hundred more to charge your battery while you use it. I just bought the extra battery for $99 (others are about $300) and still came out a couple hundred bucks cheaper than some of my classmates.

tl;dr: You'll like whatever you get, the main thing is deciding what mag you want or whether you want prisms or not

Your school will let you know about any dental conventions located in your area. Stop by, try a few on, and find one that you like. It's no different than picking out a pair of glasses. Every pair of loupes fit a little differently and you'll want a pair that is comfortable on your head. As far as which features are worth the price and which aren't, do a search for loupe threads in the forums. You'll find quite a bit of info here.

I would recommend ttl (through the lens) style, but in reality it all depends on personal preference.
I second the lumadent recommendation for the light setup. Having a light is crucial make sure you get one.

Never buy any without first trying them on, but I can make some general recommendations.

1. DO NOT buy plastic frames (unless they are the DFV Buddy Holly frames because these don't flex [I don't have DFV btw]). Plastic will flex when tightened on your head and cause the loupes themselves to distort unless "just right" around your head. Many of my classmates got plastic frames, and do not like them. In fact, several of my classmates switched brands after bad experiences with customer service and quality from one brand (I'm not going to mention them online).

2. Get 3.5 magnification. Don't listen to the reps. Let me repeat- DON'T listen to the reps. You will want to get 3.5 no matter how much they say, "Oh, get 2.5, it will be easier to learn on 2.5's" . You'll get used to any type of magnification after about a month, but 3.5 will work much better when you really need the magnification.

3. Get a light- but don't spend $600-$1000 on it. The most highly recommended are the Lumadent and the Featherlight Ultralight. Both have great reviews and cost around $365-$400. Both are small and both are durable.

That's my take on it.

loupes are personal. despite what people say that one magnification or one brand is the best, no one setup will be the best for everyone.

most reasonable companies will let you try before you buy, and those that dont typically have a money back trial period.

another suggestion is to buy used, and resell them if they are not what you like. after all, you're not married to a pair for life, and nobody says you have have to use only one pair.

I'm not sure how much they cost, but Surgitel micro LED is the best light out there in my opinion. I'm not a dentist though, so you can take it for what its worth.

I use the 4.5x MedLite loupes and the Lumadent light. The combo cost me less than $900. Are the higher priced brands better quality? Yes, but the quality of MedLite loupes are good and the Lumadent is very good. Plus, I can easily afford a backup pair of loupes that I haven't had a need to use yet. I've had my loupes for about 18 months and my light for about 9 months. No issues yet. You can see some photos here: http://dentalsuction.wordpress.com/2012/01/16/lumadent-led-headlight-product-review/

My school had a loupes fair during the spring of first year. I tried on everything and went with what I felt the most comfortable wearing.

I highly recommend gettig a headlight too. I use a featherlight and it was worth every penny.