Best Materials for New Mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Afp0731

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

I took the old MCAT right before it changed and it appears that materials have changed a bit.
I used the Princeton/Berkeley books for content, EK 1001 and TPR hyper learning for practice, and gold standard/aamc for practice full lengths.
Has anyone used these for the new test? Would you recommend different materials? Recs for the psych and sociology section?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently in the process of gathering my materials for a summer-self study to take the test in early September of this year. (I am currently a sophomore in college lacking physics II and a sociology course.)

Of the materials you listed, I have all of them except the EK 1001 books. I reviewed each of them for my self-study, especially the old TPR books, and found them to be helpful for some content but lacking in adequate practice for the new test. Here is what I am using:

I purchased the 7-book Kaplan review and am using them as my primary source for content review. So far, I have found the Kaplan books to be not as detailed as the new EK books; however, they do cover nearly all if not all the topics covered on the new exam. I have PDF copies of the 2015 EK textbooks for the new MCAT, and I use them as a more in-depth content review after having gone over a Kaplan chapter and taking notes. Generally, I focus on being able to explain each chapter title from Kaplan in depth and have an overall grasp of the concept. This allows me to manage passage based questions easier as they present new situation in biological systems but are simply testing my ability to translate (no pun intended) a concept from a book to a specific situation.

I also am using the EK 101 passages for CARS. I try to do three of these per day, and they have worked great for me so far! I will be purchasing their biology practice as well. I did take a Kaplan full length exam (you get three with your book-set purchase) and can agree that it was difficult, but to me, it felt more difficult than the sample test I took from NextStep.

Lastly, I am using Khan academy and NextStep for the psychology and sociology sections of the test. These both have proven to me to be straightforward in learning the general concepts for these sections as well as how to apply them to passage based questions.

Lastly, I purchased all of the new AAMC materials directly from them. While I have not taken these directly, from fellow student that have taken the new MCAT, these are a GOLDMINE. I'm saving them until August to use as my main indicator if I am ready to test in September or push my date back until January of 2018.

I hope this helps in someway! Best of luck with your studies. I know we all need it.

Reactions: 1 user