Best MCAT Book(s)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bladimer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDN members,

I was wondering what is the best MCAT prep book. I definitely cannot afford the Kaplan class and was wondering if you could give me some advice.

I know there is probably a thread on this topic, however I am unable to find one after 2000. Please redirect me if you have the link to a recent thread.

Thank you very much and have a nice day.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Biology: 1. EK Bio + EK 1001 Bio, non-detail oriented 1. BR/TPR Hyperlearning, detail oriented 3. Kaplan

Physics
: 1. BR 2. Nova 3. TPR Hyperlearning 4. Kaplan

Verbal: 1. EK Verbal + EK 101 Verbal 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. BR 4. Kaplan (Avoid if possible)

Organic Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

General Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

Biology: 1. EK Bio + EK 1001 Bio, non-detail oriented 1. BR/TPR Hyperlearning, detail oriented 3. Kaplan

Physics: 1. BR 2. Nova 3. TPR Hyperlearning 4. Kaplan

Verbal: 1. EK Verbal + EK 101 Verbal 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. BR 4. Kaplan (Avoid if possible)

Organic Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

General Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan
I take a coffee break and get beat to the punch!!! AAAHHHHH :laugh:

so Kaplan isnt good to study with? Everyone always says Kaplan is number one from their course to book so I started the Kaplan 2010 Premier program book which is reallly big and really detailed in the review section....is this bad or good?

I was going to do examkracker later because I know it's smaller and I can read those during the school year too...but any advice?

I think it depends on the individual what works best for him/her. When I first started studying, I basically compiled everything I could get my hands on (except for an actual course). It took me about a week and a half, but I finally got the idea of what works and what doesn't *for me*. For example, a lot of people on here praise NOVA, so naturally, I ran out and got a copy. I'm sure NOVA is a great company for a lot of people, but it really didn't do much for me. It was too detailed, and the problems at the end took wayyy too much math for me. Also, halfway through the book, I gave up, everything beyond their fluids chapter just didn't do it for me. On the other hand, a lot of people on here condemn Kaplan and EK physics, but well...funny enough, those are the combinations I'm using right now. Instead of reading 1 book 10 times to remember the stuff, I read through Kaplan 1x, then read through EK 1x and do the EK 10001 Physics problems. Mind you, these problems are EXHAUSTING. I mean 100+ problems on every chapter is A LOT, BUT it helps me better to learn by doing problems and realizing a concept for myself rather than memorizing it from a book.

So basically...if you could, I would say try out the different companies for yourself. Maybe borrow books from a friend, or go to a library and see which style works best FOR YOU. I haven't taken the MCAT, so I dunno if my way of studying will yield a high score or not. But, I firmly believe in understanding the content before I can actually work through MCAT problems, and so far, Kaplan and EK 1001 seem to be doing it for me.

Dear SDN members,

I was wondering what is the best MCAT prep book. I definitely cannot afford the Kaplan class and was wondering if you could give me some advice.

I know there is probably a thread on this topic, however I am unable to find one after 2000. Please redirect me if you have the link to a recent thread.

There are tons of threads on this and they seem to sprout about once a week. The most recent is:

click here

Umm. Kaplan is crappy! I used it and i did not like it. So i bought examkraker and still didnt like it, then finally, i was recommended a book by a doctor. He recomended The Gold Standard MCAT 2010 edition. He told me that he had used a previous edition and that he found it amazing. It outlines in every chapter what you need to remember, what you need to understand and what you dont need to know. I felt like i needed that kind of guidance, since the other books displayed an overwhelming amount of information, which wasnt even needed. The Gold Standard MCAT 2010 has a more superior quality than the other books. Not to mention i got access to the author and asked as many questions as i needed. He was really nice! :) . So, guys based on my experience, i recomedn the book. But, you dont have to take my word for it, do your own research, that is the best way. Go to a library and comapre the books yourself.

Dear SDN members,

Check out The Gold Standard MCAT 2010 edition. I liked it. It outlines everything you need to know. In every chapter it says 1) what you need to remember 2) what you need to understand and 3) what you DONT need to know. Most of the other books overwhelm you with information, resulting in you forgetting most of the info you gathered. i Think the site is mcat-prep.com - plus it costs less.

Check out The Gold Standard MCAT 2010 edition. I liked it. It outlines everything you need to know. In every chapter it says 1) what you need to remember 2) what you need to understand and 3) what you DONT need to know. Most of the other books overwhelm you with information, resulting in you forgetting most of the info you gathered. i Think the site is mcat-prep.com - plus it costs less.

Haha really? I'm not a fan of Gold Standard at all... I think the only thing worth getting is the $25 practice tests cause they are cheap, ONLY if you're desperate and running out of Kaplan/TPR/AAMC

And dude, you're making it way to obvious you work for them... No one in their right minds would support Gold Standard as much as you have

Haha really? I'm not a fan of Gold Standard at all... I think the only thing worth getting is the $25 practice tests cause they are cheap, ONLY if you're desperate and running out of Kaplan/TPR/AAMC

And dude, you're making it way to obvious you work for them... No one in their right minds would support Gold Standard as much as you have

I have to disagree with you! The Gold Standard is pretty good, i used it. Or maybe I shouldn't talk about it because you might think i work for them as well. I have nothing against Kaplan, but compared to the Gold Standard, i am sorry, bu there is no challenge when it comes to content and quality. And for the record, the AAMC did recommend the Gold Standard this year. OOPS maybe i shouldn't say that, everyone might find out that i work for the Gold Standard. NOOO!

I have to disagree with you! The Gold Standard is pretty good, i used it. Or maybe I shouldn't talk about it because you might think i work for them as well. I have nothing against Kaplan, but compared to the Gold Standard, i am sorry, bu there is no challenge when it comes to content and quality. And for the record, the AAMC did recommend the Gold Standard this year. OOPS maybe i shouldn't say that, everyone might find out that i work for the Gold Standard. NOOO!

You just registered on SDN only to rave about GS?

Umm. Kaplan is crappy! I used it and i did not like it. So i bought examkraker and still didnt like it, then finally, i was recommended a book by a doctor. He recomended The Gold Standard MCAT 2010 edition. He told me that he had used a previous edition and that he found it amazing. It outlines in every chapter what you need to remember, what you need to understand and what you dont need to know. I felt like i needed that kind of guidance, since the other books displayed an overwhelming amount of information, which wasnt even needed. The Gold Standard MCAT 2010 has a more superior quality than the other books. Not to mention i got access to the author and asked as many questions as i needed. He was really nice! :) . So, guys based on my experience, i recomedn the book. But, you dont have to take my word for it, do your own research, that is the best way. Go to a library and comapre the books yourself.

You actually got access to the author??? Ok... That is pretty different and does he answer you instantly?? And how much is the book, and do you know i place where i can get it cheap? I heard about the Gold Standard, but i was skeptic to even get it because everyone talks about Kaplan and Ek. I think the access to the author is innovative, i know no other company that does that. Also, the outline thing sounds interesting, but i think Kaplan and the others do that as well, i am not sure. I have yet to schedule my exam... Nervous!!

First Mr. Brown said that and now you said it. Its not that I don't trust you, but can you please provide a link where AAMC recommends Gold Standard...

I wonder why AAMC would do that??? :rolleyes:

You just registered on SDN only to rave about GS?

I was actually strolling through threads and decided to make my insights available about the book. Like i mean the GS is not a 5 star but still it deserves to be 4.3 star. Plus i used it and i did well, so i give all the credit to the book. I am sure if it was kaplan i used ,i would be the same way and give it full credit. So to answer your question; no i did not register for the GS, but i did register to give my insights, ask for advice and debate topics that may have multiple opposing views.

Furthermore, because someone gives credit to a book doesn't mean he works for the company, i just found that to be really dumb. If that is the case then, there should be thousands of people working for the MCAT companies in this forum, since there are so many students that talk so highly of their best MCAT book.

Take Care

Who would end a post like that? Are you seven? Apparently you're a medical student in residency, just joined SDN today, found this thread and posted once after 'Stephen' was called out? haha nice

Honestly, you, 'mcat student' and 'stephen brown; people are actually on this website to get legitimate help with legitimate questions.

You actually got access to the author??? Ok... That is pretty different and does he answer you instantly?? And how much is the book, and do you know i place where i can get it cheap? I heard about the Gold Standard, but i was skeptic to even get it because everyone talks about Kaplan and Ek. I think the access to the author is innovative, i know no other company that does that. Also, the outline thing sounds interesting, but i think Kaplan and the others do that as well, i am not sure. I have yet to schedule my exam... Nervous!!

Dear Angela,

It seems obvious that you have not done enough research about the MCAT companies. Exam Krackers provides access to authors of their books - you have to sign up on their forum and post questions and they will answer you. Berkeley Review provides access to their authors - you just have to be persistant enough to find that out - thats all I am going to say.

Unless the GS authors come to your home and teach you - I dont think "access to GS authors" is anything unique.

Good Luck on MCAT,

Baboo Bhaiya

Who would end a post like that? Are you seven? Apparently you're a medical student in residency, just joined SDN today, found this thread and posted once after 'Stephen' was called out? haha nice

Honestly, you, 'mcat student' and 'stephen brown; people are actually on this website to get legitimate help with legitimate questions.

Last time i Checked, this thread was about our best MCAT book(S). So, i dont see what your problem is. lol. Are you mad, for some unknown reason? This thread is about talking about our best MCAT book, did you expect people to not talk highly of their favorite book?