Best Mcat books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

passion crane

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm starting to study for the MCAT and want to know which are the best books for each subject? Ex. I heard EK is good for CARS.
I'd rather buy individual books that are great than a set that has only a few great ones. Physics is my weakest so I want a book that explains the basics well but also focuses on the major details that I need to know for the exam. Any suggestions? What worked best for you?

Members don't see this ad.

TBR- a lot of detail
TPR- best psych and soc
EK- covers pretty much everything you need but is a more basic not in depth review compared to TBR

Reactions: 1 user
TBR- a lot of detail
TPR- best psych and soc
EK- covers pretty much everything you need but is a more basic not in depth review compared to TBR
Thanks! I'll have to try out Tbr! Have you tried Kaplan? And I have tried EK physics and thought it was too basic. I want something good for physics,biochem and ochem...other subjects I'm stronger in

I haven't tried Kaplan I just have TBR and EK. I mainly use TBR, which is a lot more dense so if you have the time to go through it I don't see why you shouldn't.

I've been told Kaplan is sufficient enough, but from what I've heard I would recommend EK over Kaplan.

Members don't see this ad :)
TPR has a lot of detail, Kaplan hits on all the basic points. I've read through all of the Kaplan books and I feel as though it covered all of the topics on the what is in the MCAT book. Base it off of learning style. I think TPR is really good as they have questions in the passages which require you to think outside the box of what you are learning about to understand it better, but be warned, TPR is pretty dense. It depends on your learning style really, all of the different companies will give you very similar information. Get the reddit 100 page khan academy psych/soc document and whatever book set you get you really won't go wrong with it. This test doesn't require nitty gritty details, you need to understand the science background of it and then apply it and all of the books will cover your bases. Content review < practice passages and FLs. Check out the EK 101 passage books

Update: Got kaplan set, some old EK from online, and an old Princeton practice book. Thank you all for your help!

Hey guys, I am starting my pre-med in Jan 18 and wish to do some study for MCAT also, any suggestion which book should be the best to start with? FYI, I'm practicing elect engineer. All suggestions are appreciated. Please do not use abrevations.;)

Hey guys, I am starting my pre-med in Jan 18 and wish to do some study for MCAT also, any suggestion which book should be the best to start with? FYI, I'm practicing elect engineer. All suggestions are appreciated. Please do not use abrevations.;)

PM me...