Best MCAT practice tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tastyfood

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which practice tests from which companies are the best(Kaplan, Examkrackers, TPR, or AAMC)?

Members don't see this ad.

AAMC by far...

When you practice, you want to get as close to the real exam as possible.... you probably don't want something more difficult (though you can try for a while if you like), and you definitely don't want something easier...

I'm sure you've heard talk from others citing AAMC for not making their practice exams like the real thing. This is somewhat untrue. By taking AAMC exams you are getting used to their method and their style of thinking- this is very difficult to duplicate and many test preps will even admit that AAMC exams are your best source of practice.

The MCAT has changed somewhat over the past couple of years and you will find that tests 5R, 6R and 7 are your best bets to being like the real exam (3R and 4R are definitely worth trying out too). Now that I've sat for two administrations of this exam, I see that the real test is very much like these practice ones... it just doesn't feel like it on the day of the exam because of the added pressure and your mind's inherant need to be critical of yourself on test-day. So be aware; you may hear lots of complaints on the day of the exam about their tests not being like the "real thing." Again, this is not true for the most part, though they like to throw in some cheap shots here and there that you just can't avoid.

I took EK and found their exams to be quite good, yet difficult. They recommend to use AAMC exams when possible. Kaplan exams are high yield, in that they will hit the major topics, which is enough for some people (wasn't enough for me). I never tried TPR or any other prep, so maybe someone else can comment.

Good Luck!

tastyfood said:
Which practice tests from which companies are the best(Kaplan, Examkrackers, TPR, or AAMC)?

AAMC hands down! After all, those are the same guys who will write the MCAT you will take in August (actually they are old administration of actual MCATs)

I'd also recommend doing TPR tests A-D (Science, not verbal). I felt the science passages are about the same difficulty as the April 2004 MCAT. The science sections on 5R, 6R, and 7R were easier in my opinion.

-tx

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the AAMC practice tests are "real" tests, just old. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I've taken three "real" tests now and AAMC practice tests feel just like the real thing.

I like using harder tests at first. 50% or more of the usefullness of a practice test is after the test. Taking it gets you used to testing, sure, but dissecting it, figuring out where you're weak, and going back and learning all the concepts you didn't know that caused you to miss questions is really where it's at.

I took TPR. I thought the practice tests were more difficult than the AAMC tests. I think this is a good thing because it will prepare you for harder material than you will see on the real MCAT. The highest score I got on any of the TPR tests was a 24. On 5R I got a 34, and on 6R I got a 30. On the real MCAT... we will see. All the prep materials for Princeton Review are very strong. :luck:

I was under the impressiom the AAMC tests have retired questions from the testing bank.