Best Mcat Prep Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chickenhead

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken Dr. Flower's Prep?

I hadn't heard of it before but it was recommended to me by a Dean of Students at a med school.

I also really need to know if it is compatible with a Mac. Kaplan's online course wasn't compatible and I'd prefer not to repeat the experience of taking practice tests in public libraries next to kids playing World of Warcraft or Witchcraft (whatever). It was annoying........

Thanks in advance for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

I recently finished up the semester and living up the summer break before starting up my Junior year. I have a little free time on my hands and I feel like investing some time in a few MCAT prep books. I know of examkrackers and have heard good things. I wanted some opinions on some other good ones.

Thanks

check/search the mcat forum for this often discussed topic. :)

my recommendations: EK for verbal, and biology. Nova for physics. TBR (or EK) for chemistry. ochem is pretty much up for grabs. i personally used my textbook, aamc's guideline, and EK's 1001 for ochem.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this question has been asked already, but I don't see a current thread on it, so here it goes again:

Which MCAT prep book is the best for you and why? Does this book help you increase your score? Does the book give the best review or best types/similar questions?

Please respond, since I'm sure many of your answers will help prepare students to take the MCAT this summer:)

Best? Get ahold of as much prep material as you can. I thought that between the Kaplan and TPR books, everything was covered pretty comprehensively.

The best study plan is to work your ass off in every relevant subject in college, so that you understand the material and retain as much as possible. Then sign up for a prep course that ends a week or two before your test date.

Take as many practice tests as you can find. Adhere to the time constraints when you take them. This is the most important thing.

Its kind of like training for a marathon or something. Stay in shape without killing yourself, and then when you're ready, pick a date, start training, and taper properly, to ensure peak performance on race day.

I know this question has been asked already, but I don't see a current thread on it, so here it goes again:

I apologize in advance for a mood issue I may exude, but there is a wonderful function here at SDN known as the SEARCH button. It will help answer your question. It would land a thread like the following:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=526267

Which MCAT prep book is the best for you and why? Does this book help you increase your score? Does the book give the best review or best types/similar questions?

Please respond, since I'm sure many of your answers will help prepare students to take the MCAT this summer:)

Again, I'm in a bit of an off mood, so please forgive my tone. There are SO MANY people here who don't do a complete search of all the materials available and they end up missing out on BR general chemistry, Nova physics, BR physics, and so on. Because these companies are small, only a small fraction of test takers use their stuff, so they don't pop up on the radar. But if you read the reviews here at SDN, they get 100% positive feedback and pull some pretty strong scores.

If you want the best stuff, get a list of items here at SDN (there are probably five to six options for each subject on the exam) and then take a thorough look at the material on line or at a bookstore. That should help you decide which materials are best suited for you. Different styles work well for different people.

If you just want other people to make your decision for you, then ask about materials in a thread and accept the suggestions of a couple people who reply. For some people, what they use honestly doesn't matter, because they are going to do well anyway. But for most people, there are certain things that matter (quantity of questions, quality of answer explanations, helpful memory aids, and accuracy of content). I sincerely apologize to offload here, but I read your exact same thread a whole bunch lately.