Best MCAT Prep for Test Taking Skills

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geeyouknit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I bombed my mcats today. I was good on PS, but on VR and BS, I froze up on many sections, slowed down a lot, hesitated, careless errors, couldn't focus sometimes, forgot to answer a few, etc. I feel like my biggest weakness is test taking skills, timing, and pacing.

Any advice on how to fix those areas?

My dad thinks I should do a go to a test-prep company, but my impression is that they mainly lecture. I know my Bio basics aren't as good as my PS basics, so that's a concern, but I don't know if I want to shell out thousands for something I can learn and reinforce over the next couple of months by myself.

Are there any test-prep companies whose classes help in this or have methods that help out? I don't live in CA, so TBR isn't an option. The ones I can think off are: TPR, Kaplan, EK. But I don't know much about their classes.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
Are there any test-prep companies whose classes help in this or have methods that help out? I don't live in CA, so TBR isn't an option.
Thanks.

You can buy the TBR books online from their site, or from another student on SDN who is selling them. There's a dedicated forum for selling stuff on SDN that you can access from the main page.

As SN2ed said, it sounds like you got nervous. Classes and textbooks can't give you confidence, you have to find it in yourself. If you look at the MCAT as an insurmountable object that's out to stop and trick you at every turn, it will become so.

Members don't see this ad :)
What you need is lots and lots of timed MCAT practice to build your confidence.

I've taken a lot of AAMC practice tests timed (3,4, 7, 8,11). I have the same problem. It could be nervousness, but I'm nervous because I know that I have a hard time wrapping my head around some of those bio passages that get really complicated.

It feels like I'm just slow in the head, if you know what I mean. Just have a hard time in comprehension. Is there any company that helps with that sort of thing? How would you guys go about fixing that? Or am I just stuck with that?

I've used all of the books out there, and while each has its merits and shortcomings, BR was the best for test tricks by a mile. All the companies give their tips here and there, but the ones that were to the point and ungawdly helpful were in BR. This is especially true in the PS section.