Best MCAT program/study guide for rusty students??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jihong

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, I recently graduated from undergrad and took all the pre-med courses, however I did poorly in all of them and need to start preparing for my MCATs (I'm attending an SMP in the fall). What's the best program or study guide to use for students who are very very rusty on their chem, bio, ochem, and physics?? I need something more than just study skills, I need something that'll help reteach me a lot of the material. Any suggestions???

Members don't see this ad.

Hey folks, I recently graduated from undergrad and took all the pre-med courses, however I did poorly in all of them and need to start preparing for my MCATs (I'm attending an SMP in the fall). What's the best program or study guide to use for students who are very very rusty on their chem, bio, ochem, and physics?? I need something more than just study skills, I need something that'll help reteach me a lot of the material. Any suggestions???

take kaplan classroom course if you want structure, and if you think you'll actually do all the homework they assign. If you do exactly what they say, you'll learn a lot. if you slack off, its a waste of money.

If you dont like classroom courses (as i take you may not, from how you did in your pre-med reqs), then just get your hands on the kaplan review books and practice materials...it helped me a TON. It's seriously fantastic. Also, the Examkrackers Verbal reasoning is pretty good. I wouldnt recommend EK for other subjects, even though other people may.

I recommend EK, but everyone is different. I like the author to get straight to the point while others may prefer other methods. I do suggest that you check out the MCAT forum. It should be able to help you a little more.:thumbup:

I really didnt like EK, but I didnt like Kaplan either. Maybe look into TPR or TBR. I havent seen any of their stuff but I hear its good.

Members don't see this ad :)
let me tell ya I am in your same boat here. I have been studying though and I have learned a lot from the posts on here. I would recommend EK books for everything however, TBR for gen chem and physics are so highly recommended on here I am going to get them half way through my studying and review all that info again with their books. i like the EK 10 week home study schedule but with variations to fit your schedule and learning skills. I am about to start it and I wont be doing the audio part bc I am not a good audio learner and then I will sub TBR in for the chem and physics. this is good to do to figure out the areas you are really weak in since in 10 weeks you will be going over it all and then you can go back to weak areas and improve. Also, take as many AAMC tests as possible and review all of them really well-most important!!! Like I said there are a ton of good posts on here and your bound to find one that seems like the suggestions would work for your study habits!!!

If you can just get the books, I would go with Kaplan.
I didn't get too much out of the class, but found the books very helpful.
I'm sure you could find a used set on craigslist or SDN. You would save a lot of money this way.

Also, taking several full length practice tests was a huge help for me. www.e-mcat.com

after seeing myself and other friends prep for the MCAT w/ different strategies (ie self study, prep companies), I have realized that Kaplan's online material pwns all. They have tons of stuff to practice with to work on your weaknesses.

has anyone tried or known anyone thats used McGraw-Hill MCAT with CD? It's supposed to be very comprehensive and teach a lot of things from scratch. Anyone have any opinions?

"very very rusty" I would suggest using an oxidation inhibitor to prevent further damage.

has anyone tried or known anyone thats used McGraw-Hill MCAT with CD? It's supposed to be very comprehensive and teach a lot of things from scratch. Anyone have any opinions?
Stick to the proven and mainstream stuff. You don't want to waste your time with stuff that hasn't been substantiated by a significant amount of people.

TPR, TBR, Kaplan, Examkrackers are all good bets + practice MCATS (3-10).

If you want structure and you suck at organizing and scheduling and motivating yourself, take a class, if not just buy the course books from someone and plan one yourself.

If you want strong conceptual review go with TPR.
If you want good practice material go with Kaplan (practice problems).
If you want a good solid summary go with Examkrackers.
101 Verbal Passages from Examkrackers SHOULD be boughten.

I would recommend at least two different sets of books.

Examkrackers for one, and any other set (TPR, Kaplan, or TBR).

TBR from what I've heard if VERY detail-oriented but equally as good, and I've only heard good things about it. This may be what you want if you have both A) time b) patience and C) discipline.

You don't need to know everything from TBR, but the detail may help you focus more.

I agree, get your hands on the EK books plus some other study set (TPR, Kaplan, etc) as a reference.... EK books are great for the 'big picture' but you will need to supplement with some another set for specifics.