best med schools to go to to get INTO dermatology residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aviary17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am deciding now which med school to go to after college. I've always wanted to be a dermatologist, and as of now that is my plan. I have been told the residency is very difficult to get into. Do you know which medical schools are considered to be good when being considered for a dermatology residency? Thank you for your insight.

Members don't see this ad.

The very best one you can afford.

Also the one where you can nab all honors clinical and pre-clinical, as high a Step 1 score as possible, outstanding evaluations, outstanding LORs, outstanding research experience, and a home dermatology department.

i think bigger names help a little. regarding specifics, i can attest that uva matched 5/6 last year and 5/5 this year.
at the end of the day, i think the school you go to is secondary to the effort you put in (to med school, to boards, to your ps, to making good impressions, etc)

Members don't see this ad :)
The very best one you can afford.

Also the one where you can nab all honors clinical and pre-clinical, as high a Step 1 score as possible, outstanding evaluations, outstanding LORs, outstanding research experience, and a home dermatology department.

That's kind of the conflict I'm facing. I think that at a big-name school (Harvard) it will be harder to stand out or score honors, while if I go to a smaller school my chances will be better.

That's kind of the conflict I'm facing. I think that at a big-name school (Harvard) it will be harder to stand out or score honors, while if I go to a smaller school my chances will be better.

The downside is, if you go to a smaller school, thrive/stand out/score honors and secure a LOR, it could come from a nobody.

Either way, it seems like you're overthinking it. Pick a school because it's nice, because you can afford it, and because you think you'll enjoy/be able to thrive there.

Picking a school solely for the purposes of nabbing a derm residency is a surefire recipe for misery. I don't know of too many people who decide on something as a pre-med and stick it through until the very end. (Too many variables, too many things you just haven't seen yet)

Especially if we're talking about something as competitive as derm.