Technology Best Medical Apps for iPhone/Android?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alexa Xu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know any good Medical Apps for new med-students paid or free for iphone or android?

Members don't see this ad.

This. I used Anki to study for the MCAT and I'm planning to use it during med school. You should check that out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know any good Medical Apps for new med-students paid or free for iphone or android?
There are a ton of great apps out there. I think if you're starting med school, there's a few I'd think of right of the bat.

- Medscape is a great reference for pathophysiology because its nice and comprehensive. Be wary of sponsored content though.
- Visible Body has outstanding anatomy apps (see review below)
- As you get further along, Micromedex is a phenomenal drug reference
- Think about how you want to start building a digital reference library. You'll start accumulating papers, etc and its a good idea to get into a habit of tagging/storing them for easy later retrieval.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your responses! I really like the Up To Date app, and Micromedex apps! This will be really useful in for my drug references when looking up medication doses!

There are some great apps out there being developed my medical app developers, which can really help students to learn and increase efficiency in their learning. Here are some of the best medical apps for students:

http://internetmedicine.com/2013/04/06/top-10-iphone-apps-every-medical-student-must-have/
http://www.studentdoctor.net/2013/10/top-15-free-android-medical-apps-for-healthcare-professionals/http://www.studentdoctor.net/2013/10/top-15-free-android-medical-apps-for-healthcare-professionals/
http://mac.appstorm.net/roundups/making-it-through-medical-school-8-apps-to-help-along-the-way/

Good luck with your studies and I hope these apps help you to further your studies.

Brad

Last edited:
Brad - thank for those links! Very helpful.

Here's a good list for folks looking to start an app library for a smartphone. Here's a list of apps for note taking in class too.

I've created an app that's used a lot by my hospital. It takes basic nursing vitals and can predict likelihood of sepsis. I'm working on putting this up on the Android store asap, but out of curiosity, does this sound like something you'd get some use from?

One other question - from the perspective of Doctors, (specifically more intensivists, but whoever), would you get any use from an app that could calculate the exact medication doses needed, titrated by the GFR?

I may have this slightly askew, but our consultant intensivist asked me to do something similar in the past, however he's prone to be a bit flighty, so would be interested in hearing from others on this.

'Orthopedic OSCE' app available on app store, google play and windows app store. The book is for orthopedic clinical skills and OSCE. This app has additional chapters on communication skills, history gathering, Evaluation of imaging studies and Orthopedic procedures and implants

Apps I use on a daily basis that are helpful for M1-M2 modules, then M3-M4 rotations:

-For general everything: Medscape or Epocrates
-For drug information, either Micromedex or Epocrates, though I have a friend that swears by Lexicom
-For medical calulcations, including fluids, use QxMD
-For preventive medicine, such as screening, use AHRQ ePSS
-For research, Pubmed has an app, but it remains cludgy
-If you want to impress the bejesus out of an IM residents, try Procedures Consult IM
-Keeping up with the Kar...diology and other new publishing, give the NEJM this week app a try

For the vast majority of quick searches, don't forget that Google and Wikipedia can be lifesavers when you have wifi or cell service available. Just don't overuse your phone on rounds for risk of being mistaken for a texter!

Members don't see this ad :)
The Pubmed app could be really great if they just tightened up the interface and worked out the stability issues. Further to my previous links, I'm also especially interested in medical apps for clinical trials and comparator product sourcing. ResearchKit was a quite a good product in that regard, but I know there'll be something better available over the course of 2016. One that's already caught my eye is FirstApp: http://www.firstapp.com/

For sourcing, Walgreen's sister brand also has a good product available: https://www.alcura-health.com/web/h.../research-and-development/comparator-sourcing

Hello,

I'm with a company www.statpearls.com and we are building a very large online CME/CE system. I need help with feedback on Android apps. I'll give content for free for a little feedback, just needs to be an Android phone or tablet.

email or start a conversation with me on this site for more info.
[email protected]

Thanks!
-Mike

Android app for learning temporary pacemakers.

Go to google app store search: Learn Pacing VirtualRN

a game/simulator to teach healthcare providers how to operate temporary epicardial pacemakers. Please play it, pass it along and let me know if you have any feedback. I hope to have an IOS version out shortly, I'll keep you posted.

There are so many iphone and android apps for medical.
I think you should find it in play store,
For Android, you should visit google play store and for iPhone, you should visit apple play store.
This would be a better way to find the best medical app.

SDN Mobile app is not working on my phone can anyone assist me please?

SDN Mobile app is not working on my phone can anyone assist me please?
(I can't personally help you since I'm just a user). Need lots more info. Asking a nebulous question like this ^^ is like going to the doctor and going "Hey, something's wrong. Can you help?" or going to an auto mechanic and going, "My car's having issues. Can you help?"

Some specific details would be helpful:
* What ecosystem? iOS or Android, and what version?
* What specific make and model of phone?
* What version of the SDN app?
* What exactly are you experiencing with the SDN mobile app?

Rule of thumb is to provide as many specific details as possible when asking for help.

Last edited:
I recommend the following apps

Literature Search/ Med & Fluid Calculations
Read by QxMD

Read by QxMD | QxMD
Medscape
Medscape App
Epocrates
Point of Care Medical Applications | Epocrates

Differential Diagnosis
Diagnosaurus

‎Diagnosaurus® DDx
VisualDx
VisualDx - Visual Clinical Decision Support System (CDSS)
Neurology Dx / Neurology Pro
‎Neurology Dx
‎Neurology Pro - References DDx

Drugs
Epocrates

Point of Care Medical Applications | Epocrates
Drugs@FDA Express
Drugs@FDA: FDA Approved Drug Products
BNF Publications
BNF & BNFC App | BNF Publications

Last edited:
Hi guys!
I help run social media for a great medical app, and we want to do a "congratulations new interns/residents" post. Are there any common hashtags/phrases that new interns etc. have been using for this particular experience (intern year)? let me know! thanks!

JOMI (Journal of Medical Insight) - offers free accounts to medical students & residents. It has de
JOMI (Journal of Medical Insight) - offers free accounts to medical students & residents. It has videos of various types of surgeries (but I think it may just be a website, not an app)

There are a ton of great apps out there. I think if you're starting med school, there's a few I'd think of right of the bat.

- Medscape is a great reference for pathophysiology because its nice and comprehensive. Be wary of sponsored content though.
- Visible Body has outstanding anatomy apps (see review below)
- As you get further along, Micromedex is a phenomenal drug reference
- Think about how you want to start building a digital reference library. You'll start accumulating papers, etc and its a good idea to get into a habit of tagging/storing them for easy later retrieval.
agree!

Hi guys!
I help run social media for a great medical app, and we want to do a "congratulations new interns/residents" post. Are there any common hashtags/phrases that new interns etc. have been using for this particular experience (intern year)? let me know! thanks!
awesome! what does the app do ? I am a physician in the tech space as well

Best radiology app for people trying to figure out what to order:

www.radsconsult.com

In short, it’s a radiology-specific clinical decision support tool that is built to be used on mobile devices. Nearly every clinician orders imaging routinely throughout their practice, but there is no formal training on how or what to order, what the limitations are, or even what's available. Furthermore, imaging is complicated with patients who have renal insufficiency, allergies, are pregnant, or cannot undergo certain exams.

It's the only application of its kind that is both free and comprehensive. There are no subscription plans, pop ups, or advertising on the site. There is no monetization or self-promotion as I did not even include my name on the site. It is simply meant to be a tool that I feel many clinicians want but do not have access to due to industry roadblocks.

It answers every question from whether or not to give IV or Oral Contrast, to when to withhold/reverse anticoagulation meds and minimum required anticoagulation parameters prior to any radiology procedure, to what imaging study to order for over 1,000 searchable diagnoses and symptoms. It also has every type of radiology exam and interventional radiology procedure you can think of with the common indications of when one would order such an exam, including all the variations of each exam with and without IV and/or Oral contrast. It's evidence-based with ACR Appropriateness Criteria displayed when available next to each search.

I hope you find this helpful and any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Also, here's a short Youtube clip demonstrating some of it’s features:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5if8m4vTYY

I have developed a mobile app for studying anatomy - Easy Anatomy The problem application solves is that every year millions of medical students learn anatomy and it requires lots of hours of memorization from atlases and books. My solution is a mobile app that has all you need to learn anatomy. We've created accurate, high-quality anatomy illustrations and exam quizzes. All anatomical terminologies are in Latin & English & Russian.

So if you are studying anatomy, you can try my app as an instrument for more effective learning of anatomy. Here is AppStore link: ‎Easy Anatomy - Atlas & Quizzes