Best Medical Dictionary

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by ChaCha, Jun 6, 2002.

1. ChaCha

ChaCha Member

I am sure this has come up more times than the sun, but could someone recommend a good medical dictionary?

Thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. efs

efs SDN Advisor
    SDN Advisor

Podiatrist
    Personally I like Taber's but only because I have been reading it for about as long as I could read. I think I started with the 11th Ed. Up to something like the 17th or 19th now. I think this one gives a bit more information rather than a strict definition, which can help with retention.

The other big ones would be Dorland's and Stedman's. I really don't think you could go wrong with any of the three. But if you want it to be useful you have to use it. Read it on a regular basis. Look up everything you don't understand. Re-read it from time to time. Add your own notes in the margins. These books can be incredibly useful.

Hope this helps.

4. Chris_P

Chris_P Senior Member

I'll add my votes for:

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0721682812/dissectionroo-20" target="_blank">Dorland's Pocket Medical Dictionary</a>

and
    <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/068340007X/dissectionroo-20" target="_blank">Stedman's Medical Dictionary</a>

Chris

5. natureboy503

natureboy503 Member

Resident [Any Field]
    stedman's is my choice

6. Dodge This

Dodge This Senior Member

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0781730120/qid=1023526015/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/102-6513847-6240908" target="_blank">Stedman's Concise</a>

7. Hendooneh

Hendooneh Member

stedman's electronic, it made studying so much easier to be able to just type a word in very quickly if you didn't know what it meant.

8. ChaCha

ChaCha Member

Where can you find stedmans electronic?

9. med student

med student Senior Member

Stedman's Concise comes with a CD ROM which allows you to type the words into your computer. This is much quicker than doing it by hand. No matter which dictionary you buy this is a must have feature.

10. wfu2005

wfu2005 Member

Stedman's electronic is great. Not only can you access it quickly on the computer and do searches, but ours had an add-in dictionary for Word so when you are typing in sternocleidomastoid in an outline or something, you don't get Word telling you that it is misspelled.

11. florisio

florisio Member

I have both Taber's and Stedman's concise dictionary. Taber's is far superior than this version of Stedman's, but I can't speak for Stedman's complete dictionary.

Good luck