Best medical school among these?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnyneutralino

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys are any of you as confused as I am? When I look at US world report on MD rankings on primary patient care, some of the "good schools" are in the middle of the list. Out of these, which do you think is the best medical school and why?

New York University

Boston University

Einstein Medical College

Mount Sinai

Washington University at Missouri

Tufts

Wisconsin University at Madison

Georgetown

Stony Brook

Members don't see this ad.

Ever read the Old Testament?

The best one out of the group is the one that is the best fit for you. In other news, the education at most med schools will be fairly standardized and primary care rankings are mostly worthless. You can get into a good primary care residency from any medical school...there will be tremendous need for medical students to go into primary care and very little supply for the foreseeable future.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys are any of you as confused as I am? When I look at US world report on MD rankings on primary patient care, some of the "good schools" are in the middle of the list. Out of these, which do you think is the best medical school and why?

New York University

Boston University

Einstein Medical College

Mount Sinai

Tufts

Georgetown

Stony Brook

primary care would be madison....going off of name and reputation i would say mount sinai edges out NYU and georgetown. they're all great schools....

New York University

Boston University

Einstein Medical College

Mount Sinai

Tufts

Georgetown

Stony Brook

The one that you like the most and the one that costs the least.

New York University

Boston University

Einstein Medical College

Mount Sinai

Tufts

Georgetown

Stony Brook

It really does depend, but I know that doesn't help clear up your confusion. Are you interested in primary care (community-based, lots of patient care, chronic disease, under-served populations) or competitive specialty/research (top doctor, most difficult cases, lots of research but maybe less patient care)? State schools are always higher in primary care, because that's part of their mandate for receiving state funding: to provide primary care doctors for the state's population. The only "top 10" schools that are top 10 in primary care are Harvard, UCSF and U Washington, the last 2 obviously state schools, while many of the "top" primary care schools are not even ranked otherwise.

In my experience Mount Sinai has very happy people and supposedly an excellent reputation with residency directors. WashU is obviously a powerhouse and great if you want the prestige and a competitive residency. NYU is great if you want a school in the city, although I'm not a huge fan of its hospitals. Can't really speak to any of the others, but again, approach schools by knowing where you want to go in medicine and what your values are. Pick your school accordingly. There are so many people who regret going to certain schools just because they are the "best". It's easy to roll your eyes when people say "just go where you will be happy", but really think about it. It's not just cheezy advice. The 'top school' mentality really is a premed thing, so try to think about it as a future med student. Trust the advice of med students and residents, because they know what you can only speculate about.

Because in the Book of Exodus, Moses came down Mount Georgetown and gave the ten Washingtons to Boston. But the Israelites (like Israelis, but half the calories) had made a golden NYU, so Moses was very Madison.

Definitely WashU in St Louis.

WashU

By a mile, not even close.

I would NOT suggest you attend WashU for medical school if you want to do primary care. They do not have either family practice or medicine/pediatrics residencies, showing that they don't have much of a general medicine/primary care focus. Also, if you look at their match list, they don't match many people into primary care fields. Some years not one student has gone into family practice. They do have some going in to internal med and pediatrics, but most of those want to subspecialize. I attended the school so I know what I am talking about. It is an academically rigorous school, but the focus is on basic science/bench research. The medical center is also well known for radiology, ophthalmology, pathology and cardiology, among other specialty areas.

You can definitely do primary care coming from Washington U., but some folks will actively try to discourage you from doing so. Also the teaching emphasis is on how to make you a good physician-scientist type, and a leader in some specialty field, so not a lot of emphasis on teaching the physical exam and other basics that would help you a lot in primary care. Also, there aren't many role models on the faculty for someone who wants to do primary care.

These US News Top 10 lists, etc. have to be taken with a large dose of salt, particularly the primary care rankings. Most of the state schools have larger primary care focus vs. the private med schools. That is just a generalization. If you want to do primary care, you can do it coming from any medical school. If you are pretty strongly interested in primary care, I suggest picking one you get a good "vibe" from when you interview, and that hopefully has one of the lower tuitions (without being totally run down in terms of hospital facilities, classrooms, etc.). You can certainly look at these so-called "rankings" but realize they are based on a bunch of statistics that really don't have anything to do with the teaching or things that affect you a lot as a med student.

WashU

By a mile, not even close.

Just because they have one of the highest MCAT averages does not necessarily mean they are the best school. However, it does say something about how competitive they are.

If your question really is more about where to study medicine if you want to do primary care, then out of those on your list my opinion would be UW-Madison or Einstein. Stony Brook I don't know anything about. Mt Sinai MAY have some primary care focus...I just am not sure...they do like New Yorkers I know. Georgetown I'd avoid only for the simple reason that it's super expensive and located in a super expensive neighborhood...unless you had some sort of huge grant or scholarship, you'll be so in debt by the time you are done that wishing or wanting to do primary care might not matter and you'd have to think seriously about specializing so you'd make enough to pay off your student loans before turning 55 or 60.

Just because they have one of the highest MCAT averages does not necessarily mean they are the best school. However, it does say something about how competitive they are.

If their MCAT average was 30, everything else staying the same, they still would be the best school in that list by a mile.

WashU is much more than competitive MCAT scores...people at WashU are amazing, facilities breathtaking, research opportunities limitless, and St Louis is a nice and affordable city to live.

Honestly, don't pick a medical school based on wanting to do primary care. First of all, a LOT of students change their minds about wanting to do primary care. There is a reason why there is a lack of providers - you work a lot, your patients are non-compliant and you get compensated poorly. And while that may seem like something you want to tackle as a pre-med, when you get to the point where you have to choose what to do with the rest of your life, you may find yourself weighing those factors a lot more. Regardless, primary care is NOT competitive and you can easily get into primary care residencies from any US medical school. Furthermore, a lot of residencies that are competitive are also name snobs and coming from a well-recognized medical school (WashU) will be beneficial. Second of all, ignore people telling you that WashU (or any other medical school) will push research on you and try to talk you into going into a competitive specialty. No one does that. Students at those schools are less likely to choose primary care for the above mentioned reasons, along with the fact that many students that choose the big names are already interested in non-primary care fields (and often the resouces at those schools give them the stellar applications that they need to apply to the more competitive specialties). Honestly, the worst you might have to deal with is your attending asking you why you want to do primary care b/c of the reasons mentioned above. However, those same attendings will try to convince anyone who is not going into their specialty to go into their specialty, so it really doesn't matter.

There would be an advantage to waiting and seeing which school offers you the most money b/c, at the end of the day, if you do end up choosing primary care, you'll be a lot better off if you're not in a lot of debt.