coolfez

Removed
Mar 20, 2010
Status
Hi everyone,

i am pretty much all set except for my MCATs. I was going to take it in June, but scores are not available until July 20th.

I want to apply early since I know some schools are rolling admission, but when does rolling admission start? Also so all schools have rolling admission? Is there a list somewhere? Thanks!

Jan 20, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I'm wondering about the same thing. Can someone please also address the issue of being verified, how long that's supposed to take, and what they do with your application before the MCAT score is in and once it comes through?

dingyibvs

Psych!
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2007
Florida
Status
Medical Student
It takes like a day or two if you submit it in early June. If you submit in mid-July or later, then it'll take about 3 weeks or more to verify. Generally schools will put your application on hold until they receive your new(or first) MCAT score, but some schools aren't particularly good at keeping track and may reject you before they get your scores. That's fairly rare tho, I think.

Mar 8, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
would it be better to just wait til you get the score back, have everything else done, and send it out the next day?

coolfez

Removed
Mar 20, 2010
Status
When does Med school start their first review? I don't exactly know what rolling admission means: Does it mean they review the first application as it comes in, or is there like every week, they review the applications that came in that week? Since it would seem time consuming to have the admissions committee get together to review when one application comes in.

I know for DDS programs, some schools tell you, they start their first batch of reviews on so-so date.

dingyibvs

Psych!
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2007
Florida
Status
Medical Student
would it be better to just wait til you get the score back, have everything else done, and send it out the next day?
That's fine too, but some schools take a while to send you a secondary. Einstein, for example, doesn't even screen and it takes them like a month or more sometimes to send out secondaries.

raginfly

5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
i'm in the same boat as you guys. june mcat
i heard you can submit everything else to get verified and then just have them wait for your mcat score.. and i heard somewhere that schools don't start looking at applications until like july something... not completely sure though.
i too want to know the most efficient way of getting your application in early with a june mcat.

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Try doing a search.

AMCAS can be submitted in early June, and will be verified somewhere between 1 day and 6 weeks later, depending on when you submit it (the earlier the better). Schools start sending out secondaries in early July-ish, with a few rolling in before that any many later than that. In your situation, it would probably be best to submit your AMCAS very early to one school so that it is verified and ready to go. Then take your MCAT, and while waiting for the scores start drafting secondaries (using the School Specific Discussions sub-forum on SDN) and get your transcripts and LoR to AMCAS. Once you receive your MCAT score, you can make a final decision on which schools to apply to and update your AMCAS. This will take effect immediately if you've already submitted and been verified.

There are two reasons I suggest this:
1) If you submit when you get your scores, it will take probably 6 weeks to verify, which delays your applications.
2) If you aren't happy with your score, at least you only spent ~$150 sending your AMCAS to one place instead of thousands sending it to multiple schools.

coolfez

Removed
Mar 20, 2010
Status
Hi JJMrk,

So if it is verified with one school, it is good to go with all the other schools? Someone bought up the point that it may be better to have the complete package ready before you submit so they don't misplace your application. Is that true? or should I not even worry about it?

Mar 1, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Hi everyone,

i am pretty much all set except for my MCATs. I was going to take it in June, but scores are not available until July 20th.

I want to apply early since I know some schools are rolling admission, but when does rolling admission start? Also so all schools have rolling admission? Is there a list somewhere? Thanks!
Most schools are rolling admission and your probably best off assuming that everyone does it. That said, the most important thing is to send in the most complete and best polished application you can muster. If that means taking another week to turn a good application into a great, or a great into a perfect, by all means do it.

As for your MCAT situation, you often find secondary applications online. While schools sometimes change them, you'd have an opportunity to start working on those essays before your MCAT scores get back. Theoretically, you could send in your primary on the 20th and as soon as you get your secondaries you could send them in, because you'd completed them in advance. If you were done with everything by the start of August, I'd think you'd be sitting pretty.

DrSmooth

Secret Recipe Soda
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Hi JJMrk,

So if it is verified with one school, it is good to go with all the other schools? Someone bought up the point that it may be better to have the complete package ready before you submit so they don't misplace your application. Is that true? or should I not even worry about it?
It is verified by AMCAS before it goes out to whatever schools you choose. And it is an electronic process, at least at most schools. So it's not like they get your primary application in the mail and put it in a pile on the dean's desk, where coffee gets spilled on it, etc. But mistakes do happen, I got rejected from one school in Sept, then invited for an interview two months later, ended up being my first acceptance.

Definitely submit early, like June 1, because your application will be sent to schools pre MCAT score. I took the June MCAT and started receiving secondaries before my MCAT score even went out. And do your 2ndaries the same day you get them, that will help you catch up with the rest of the early applicants.

There are 39 other threads on this same topic, do a search and you should find more info.

Jan 20, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Thanks to everyone who responded (and to the asker!) here. This clears up a lot!

I was wondering whether this applies to people with really low gpas (me). Would we just get thrown out of the pile without the MCAT?:( Also, my school is on a quarter system and my grades usually get sent out 3rd week of June. I'm only going to be taking two classes and research this quarter since I am studying for the MCATs, so there won't be a huge change in my gpa. Should I wait to submit those grades in the application? If I don't put it in the primaries before submission and verification, can I add it in later and have the new gpa (including spring quarter grades) count?

And for another question about gpa: is it common for them to sort of pick one just to one decimal point and just throw everyone who doesn't have that out? If they do this, do they round up? In other words, is a 3.399 the same as a 3.301 OR is it that a 3.399 is the same as a 3.401? I've heard that this is different for different schools. I've seen the formula MCAT+gpa*10 used on this forum occasionally. Does anyone know how valid this is? And where the sgpa comes in if they are taking cgpa or vice versa? (I know this maybe one of those "wouldn't we all like to know" questions that might not really make that big of a difference anyway, but if for some reason you have a father for an admission officer and he's told you, please share :p)

Thanks