Best medical school ranking lists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Singh

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.
Where do I find a ranking list over the best medical schools in the world? That is if one such list exists.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Singh
Hello.
Where do I find a ranking list over the best medical schools in the world? That is if one such list exists.

Thanks in advance.

The best ranking list in the world is the one that YOU make up. You're the one going to medical school, not US News, your Mom and Dad, or Gourman.

agree with the exmike...

and i dont think such a list exists and if it did...can you trust the methodology enough for it to make decisions for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by exmike
The best ranking list in the world is the one that YOU make up. You're the one going to medical school, not US News, your Mom and Dad, or Gourman.

I disagree. Clearly US News is the only REAL way to rank schools. Last year, WashU and Hopkins were equally good, but this year, WashU has CLEARLY emerged as the superior institution.

:p

Take the rankings with a grain of salt and do what exmike said. He is right.

US News is only relevant because no one else tries to rank med schools. Use US News as a general guide. Much better is to see where graduates get their residencies. That is the real test of the quality of a school.

why hasnt any other company/group try to rank med schools or universities? Since many people have problems with the methodologies, it would make sense that another group "tap" into this market and make some money off obsessive pre med kids.

Originally posted by autobot
why hasnt any other company/group try to rank med schools or universities? Since many people have problems with the methodologies, it would make sense that another group "tap" into this market and make some money off obsessive pre med kids.

There is one set of rankings I'd buy into. It would be average Step I plus Step II scores. Too bad that will never happen.

theres no money in it.

and there would be credibility issues.

you trust the brands you are familiar with.

and unless they came out with totally different results from usnews...then theres no reason to buy it cause it will be exactly the same as usnews. am i gonna buy something cause their new methodology has hopkins ranked 2 and washu ranked 3 instead of the other way around like usnews had it? No.

what a waste. and the people who actually for this stuff arent that many. we rather have it for free and we can by going to a bookstore and looking at it.

Originally posted by Singh
Hello.

Thanks in advance.
Wow. Everyone sure jumped on this guy. To the OP: maybe I'm just reading this differently, but I think you mean a rankings list for international med schools? If that is what you mean, I can totally see why you'd want to see some kind of comparative analysis of prominent med schools across the globe. Unlike a lot of the above posters, I think there's a lot of merit in trying to use all the information available in choosing schools (while making sure to consider appropriately), even if that information comes from a magazine. Especially when considering the number of schools in the whole world, I think you'd definitely need some direction to start. I haven't heard of any publications that compare international schools. Maybe do a google search?

What helped me.

Take the past couple of years of MSARS and USNEWS information for in-state out-state interviews and acceptances. Average the data. Within this spreadsheet eliminate those schools considered to be out-of-state. Next eliminate the schools you wouldn't want to attend based on location (if that is an issue for you at all)? Pick schools with focus in the areas that you like, i.e. primary care or research (us news is helpful in this area).

This got me down to a handful of schools that I went through in detail.

Bones2008: Thanks for the reply. You're right about me wanting to see a list which compares medical schools worldwide. I'm already a stud.med. in Denmark, so it's not because I want to decide which school to choose after a list. I am just curious.

Tried Google, but didn't find anything about global comparisons. All I found was top 10 US medical school. But thanks for the advice.

thinking about to start a company? let's do it. forget about the med school. let's rank med schools and publish our own "official" ranking :p