Best medical school to match into ophtho?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cautiousvampire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Look for ophtho programs that are 1. large and 2. have a history of taking their own medical school graduates. How prestigious the school is will likely be a secondary issue. That you do well as a student is far more important.

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't matter if you have known that you wanted to do ophtho since in utero; exposure to various specialties in medical school may change what you decide to specialize in. If cost is not a factor, go to a medical school with a curriculum and style of teaching that fits you best (PBL, small groups versus all lecture based curriculum, grades v. no grades). As orbitsurgMD correctly noted, what YOU do during medical school is what sets you apart.

Obviously the big name research schools like harvard, columbia, cali etc do well, but I have noticed that UMiami does a good job of matching students in ophtho due to its obvious ties to bascom -- and its not super competitive to get into as compared to the before mentioned research heavy schools -- I have heard of many students pursue a research year (either during med school or even after graduating) in hopes of getting letters of rec's from the faculty as they have big ties to programs across the nation and actually do well in interviews despite sub-optimal step scores, rank. If you are sold on ophtho def check out miami.

Also would consider Thomas Jefferson for prob the same reasons. Both Jefferson, and Miami are med schools not super competitive (for the average mcat (~ 31- 32)/gpa matriculant) in my opinion..

Obviously the big name research schools like harvard, columbia, cali etc do well, but I have noticed that UMiami does a good job of matching students in ophtho due to its obvious ties to bascom -- and its not super competitive to get into as compared to the before mentioned research heavy schools -- I have heard of many students pursue a research year (either during med school or even after graduating) in hopes of getting letters of rec's from the faculty as they have big ties to programs across the nation and actually do well in interviews despite sub-optimal step scores, rank. If you are sold on ophtho def check out miami.

Also would consider Thomas Jefferson for prob the same reasons. Both Jefferson, and Miami are med schools not super competitive (for the average mcat (~ 31- 32)/gpa matriculant) in my opinion..

Thank you. That was what I was wanting to know.

On a different note, how important is it to go to a school that has an Ophthalmology Department. I'm also looking at University of Hawaii. It has a significantly higher Step 1 average and a better overall match list(matches many at UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, etc) than Miami. However, from what I can tell it doesn't have an optho department and there are no ophtho research opportunities. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

On a different note, how important is it to go to a school that has an Ophthalmology Department. I'm also looking at University of Hawaii. It has a significantly higher Step 1 average and a better overall match list(matches many at UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, etc) than Miami. However, from what I can tell it doesn't have an optho department and there are no ophtho research opportunities. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I would say it is very important to go to a school with an ophtho department; for letters, for experience, for somehwere to have a good chance at matching, and for a place to get involved with case reports or research.

Plus you will have to fly from Hawaii to EVERY interview. It will be insanely expensive compared to flights within the mainland or driving to interviews.