Best Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premeddick

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't seem to decide which is the "best" medical school in the country. Is it Hopkins, Stanford Harvard, WashU, UCSF...? Some professional schools seem to have clear "bests." Wharton at UPENN is one fine business school. So is Kellog at Northwestern. Anyway I guess my conclusion is that the USNEWS rankings are complete BS since almost every school on the whole list has great plusses and terrible minuses.

Members don't see this ad.

Standford School of Giving Heads. :laugh:

Sorry, humor from another thread...

premeddick said:
I can't seem to decide which is the "best" medical school in the country. Is it Hopkins, Stanford Harvard, WashU, UCSF...? Some professional schools seem to have clear "bests." Wharton at UPENN is one fine business school. So is Kellog at Northwestern. Anyway I guess my conclusion is that the USNEWS rankings are complete BS since almost every school on the whole list has great plusses and terrible minuses.

Schaden Freud said:
Standford School of Giving Heads. :laugh:

Sorry, humor from another thread...

I saw it, "I think they give more A's than Paris Hilton gives head..."

Members don't see this ad :)
premeddick said:

Whatever is the best for you is the "best" medical school.

RAD11 said:
Whatever is the best for you is the "best" medical school.
Agreed. Unless it's in New York City, and in that case all the med schools there suck because that's where the Yankees are. Anyone who is anyone knows that all the best medical schools are found in Boston.

silas2642 said:
Agreed. Unless it's in New York City, and in that case all the med schools there suck because that's where the Yankees are. Anyone who is anyone knows that all the best medical schools are found in Boston.

No, that's Chicago. Daaa Bears

The best med school is the one you get into.

Long Dong said:
The best med school is the one you get into.

Yeah, I forgot about that one. Scratch off what I wrote above. :laugh:

Zoom-Zoom said:
No, that's Chicago. Daaa Bears

Make Ditka the Dean of Admissions at Pritzker, and that place would be unstoppable!

No Hollywood Upstairs references yet? For shame. :D :D

I heard that the best medical schools are found in the carribean because they have great weather and people speak spanish. whats not to like?

Princeton...hands down.

are you guys telling me that a "The House of God" reference has yet to be brought up in this thread?

Shame on all of you

Members don't see this ad :)
bruinboy310 said:
And they have sexy Carribean girls giving ;) ? jk....

don't you mean they "gives out heads"

Ironhead2000 said:
don't you mean they "gives out heads"

Yes. More easily than Paris Hilton assigns As.

Wait a minute...

The best medical school is Hollywood Upstairs. Don't bother applying there unless you have a 4.2 GPA and a 47 on the MCAT, though. The admissions committee is very selective to a variety of factors---the least of which is numbers. You'll also need a few publications and a nomination for a Nobel Prize. I generally suggest that students travel to Africa in their spare time and cure a few people of AIDS. Don't forget about the rec letters. You'll need at least one head of state to vouch for your skills and dedication to medicine.

Out of all of the medical schools I know well, Drexel is the absolute best.

Ahh the BMS - Has anyone else read "The House of God" by Samuel Shem? Excellent fictional read about life as an intern.

danjo said:
Ahh the BMS - Has anyone else read "The House of God" by Samuel Shem? Excellent fictional read about life as an intern.
so do u just post a reply after seeing the OP post, or do you simply choose to ignore my posts?

;)JK, i'm reading the book now..good stuff so far

geno2568 said:
so do u just post a reply after seeing the OP post, or do you simply choose to ignore my posts?

;)JK, i'm reading the book now..good stuff so far

Oops! You must have mentioned this earlier in the thread then? Yeah, I don't usually take the time to scroll through all of the posts. That would probably prevent things like this from happening! :oops:

hey...this is from wikipedia...i am not biased ;)

The book is very likely autobiographical, with the BMS being Harvard Medical School (commonly called HMS), and The House of God is quite likely Beth Israel Hospital now a part of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, one of the HMS-affiliated hospitals in Boston, Massachusetts.

DrNick01.JPG

Wherever he went. :D

BozoSparky said:

The book is very likely autobiographical, with the BMS being Harvard Medical School (commonly called HMS), and The House of God is quite likely Beth Israel Hospital now a part of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, one of the HMS-affiliated hospitals in Boston, Massachusetts.

Was this post in response to the fact that I called the book fictional? I also believe that it is possibly an autobiography...

deuist and quix - Dr. Nick's fabulastical med school just wasn't getting the love it deserved. Mmmm H30.

danjo said:
Was this post in response to the fact that I called the book fictional? I also believe that it is possibly an autobiography...

nobody mentioned it...that's all. no sdn jab was meant for you, i swear.

Which ever one accepts you and that you'll be happiest at.

the one that rejects you first. i mean, they were the quickest to decide that you weren't good enough, so they have to be good...

BozoSparky said:
nobody mentioned it...that's all. no sdn jab was meant for you, i swear.

Just wondering - the post seemed a bit random at first! :p

I cannot fathom more ignorance over Stanford. I would love to know where you all get your information about how "easy" Stanford grades. I would suggest talking to someone who doesn't attend a UC, and might offer a legitimate assessment of our grading system. To graduate with honors (generally top 10%) in most departments, you only need a 3.3, whereas at most of your schools, to graduate in the top 10% you need a 3.9. No one gets all A's at Stanford... And if you are pre-med, and you claim to have never gotten a C, you are lying.

chitowndr said:
I cannot fathom more ignorance over Stanford. I would love to know where you all get your information about how "easy" Stanford grades. I would suggest talking to someone who doesn't attend a UC, and might offer a legitimate assessment of our grading system. To graduate with honors (generally top 10%) in most departments, you only need a 3.3, whereas at most of your schools, to graduate in the top 10% you need a 3.9. No one gets all A's at Stanford... And if you are pre-med, and you claim to have never gotten a C, you are lying.

wah wah wah i go to stanford feel sorry for meeeeee

chitowndr said:

how does only needing a 3.3 mean that the classes are harder? it just means the students are dumber....

(i'm just kidding)

You have to find your niche. There is no set 'best' medical school. All the schools are truly great.

Good luck to you.

Dr. God MD Ph.D said:
You have to find your niche. There is no set 'best' medical school. All the schools are truly great.

Good luck to you.

don't be pompous...says Dr. God. :laugh:

Dr. God MD Ph.D said:

Good luck to you.

Your screen name made me laugh cause I've seen doctors actually sign their names like that....kinda off a bit overkill heheheh!

RaaMD said:
Which ever one accepts you and that you'll be happiest at.
The cheapest one that accepts me. :smuggrin:

etf said:
how does only needing a 3.3 mean that the classes are harder? it just means the students are dumber....

(i'm just kidding)

haha, you might actually be right though...

silas2642 said:

who's in first place?

BozoSparky said:

I think the author mentions this in the afterword.