Best men's shoes for the wards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

projectlogic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys usually wear? I hear it's important to invest in something comfortable.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends if you have to dress up or can dress casual. I think few people would argue that Dansko's are a good all around shoe, you can even get by with wearing them as dress shoes sometimes. For dress shoes I have always had good luck with sketchers. Others like Merrel. You really need to find out what is right for YOU by trial and error.

Survivor DO

You really need to find out what is right for YOU by trial and error.
Survivor DO
Yes. This. I myself like the Keen's work shoes, because I really like their sandals.

Members don't see this ad :)
The original Danskos are now called Sanitas and are made in Denmark. The ones called Danskos now are made in China. Anywhere outside of medicine, they would not pass for dress shoes. In medicine, people will let you get away with it, unless they're leopard print.

I've been wearing Brooks tennis shoes, but I just ordered a pair of Sanitas, since I'm tired of blood splatters and shoe covers. I got black ones and will wear them as dress shoes in clinic if I feel like it. Merrells are super comfy, but the felt/suede outer covering is just asking to get stains.

Hah, I've actually been wondering what those shoes are called... Is the quality between Sanita and Dansko different?

function > form

I feel bad for anyone who doesn't own a pair of custom orthotics (soft, not hard). They turn all my shoes into beautifully supportive pillows.

I bought into the Dansko hype as a third year med student on surgery. Obviously you can't really use orthotics in them, so I wore them for about 8 weeks just as anyone else would, but had to go back to wearing my old New Balance 574's with the orthotics in them. While the Danskos weren't uncomfortable per se, going back to my orthotics was like heaven. And the best part is, you can use them in a lot of much nicer looking shoes.

Granted, I'm a Derm resident and not a surgical resident, so these days I just slip my orthotics into a pair of Allen Edmonds and it feels amazing.

I've seen a lot of residents and attendings wearing a certain kind of loafer that looks insanely comfortable. I'm wondering what they are...If anyone has any tips on dress casual loafers that have become popular, can you let me know?!

I'd actually rather my feet be in pain than wear these shoes. These shoes are horrendous

Members don't see this ad :)
How does Mephisto compare to Ecco? I really like my Eccos but they are dress shoes and kill my feet after multiple hours of standing.

Mephistos are very high quality shoes, well designed, superior materials, etc.
They don't really compare to ECCO. How does a Mercedes compare to a Honda?

Hm, fair enough! I wasn't aware of the comparison I was making. They seemed comparable in price so is there really that big of a difference? I want to try some out now...

Merrells are super comfy, but the felt/suede outer covering is just asking to get stains.

Merrells come in leather. I am wearing a black pair now and have some brown ones at home. Blood and guts are easily brushed off of them unlike the suede ones.

However if you get the suede ones wet enough they will revert to a leather like texture which is also rather impervious to body goo..

I'd actually rather my feet be in pain than wear these shoes. These shoes are horrendous

Lol. Those are some truly fugly shoes.

+1 on the Merrells and New Balance.

I feel bad for anyone who doesn't own a pair of custom orthotics (soft, not hard). They turn all my shoes into beautifully supportive pillows.

I bought into the Dansko hype as a third year med student on surgery. Obviously you can't really use orthotics in them, so I wore them for about 8 weeks just as anyone else would, but had to go back to wearing my old New Balance 574's with the orthotics in them. While the Danskos weren't uncomfortable per se, going back to my orthotics was like heaven. And the best part is, you can use them in a lot of much nicer looking shoes.

Granted, I'm a Derm resident and not a surgical resident, so these days I just slip my orthotics into a pair of Allen Edmonds and it feels amazing.
Yeah, I'm guessing you don't want to bathe your New Balances or your AEs in blood or vomit.

I've seen a lot of residents and attendings wearing a certain kind of loafer that looks insanely comfortable. I'm wondering what they are...If anyone has any tips on dress casual loafers that have become popular, can you let me know?!

Cole Haan makes some wickedly comfortable loafers...might be the ones your are referring to. If they aren't, I can still attest to their comfort.

Anyone ever use one of those dr. scholls kiosks? I always see those commercials and have been curious.

Bought the hype and ordered some Danskos for surgery. Will report when they arrive. Agree they aren't pretty

Bought the hype and ordered some Danskos for surgery. Will report when they arrive. Agree they aren't pretty

I wore my Crocks more than my Danskos. Big, clunky, heavy, and only moderately comfortable. I don't think they're comfortable enough to be worth their price.

Cole Haan makes some wickedly comfortable loafers...might be the ones your are referring to. If they aren't, I can still attest to their comfort.

I'm not sure that's them, but they look nice too. Kinda like the look of these better.

I think comfort with some shoes, ie Danskos, also varies depending on whether you're doing a ton of walking vs a ton of standing. My Danskos were good for lots of standing and cleaned up nicely, but I didn't find them to be that great for tons of walking all over.

Based on two days of heavy usage (trauma service), I can say my Danskos kept my feet as comfy as they possible could. My feet hurt slightly at the end of the day but that was because I had been standing for 17 hours

Would these be a good choice for someone starting their IM rotation? My clerkships is starting soon and I was wondering do people usually wear more dress shoe/smart casual style or the crocs style?

any recommendations for people with wide feet?

any recommendations for people with wide feet?
+1. Been looking the past couple of days. The typical stores (Macy's and DSW) had only a small selection of wide shoes. I'm hoping the local big & tall store has something.

I wore Danskos throughout medical school and residency and they ruined my ankles; They're actually like wearing a chunky heel cause you're tipped towards the ball of your foot; I also developed weird calluses on the ball of my foot, which promptly disappeared when I stopped wearing them. As an aside if you're walking fast you can injure your ankle if you ever mis-step and "bend" your ankle from the side (like women who fall in heels do).

In the "real" world, the surgeons and anesthesiologists alike wear ****ty-ass sneakers +/- shoe covers. The orthopods sometimes wear wellingtons, particularly if they are the type to go through ****loads of fluid during arthroscopy.

For the wards, I'd wear a comfortable shoe that I didn't wear elsewhere, cause of all the **** and grime you encounter in the hospital.

Allen Edmonds come in wide (E) and extra wide (EEE) widths in just about every single model they make . . .

wow those are nice (but pricey), too bad they don't come in 4E :( I grabbed a pair of clarks from zappos, hopefully they fit nicely

I bought the Danskos back when they were having that sale. I'm back in the OR this week and will throw my 2 cents in at the end of the week. They feel fine, but I'm worried about the narrowness of the base and breaking my ankle.

it is not so much about brands, but more about shoe type and high or low arch design

I bought the Danskos back when they were having that sale. I'm back in the OR this week and will throw my 2 cents in at the end of the week. They feel fine, but I'm worried about the narrowness of the base and breaking my ankle.
Definitely almost rolled my ankle once or twice after a week. So far, these shoes don't help with sore feet after 12 hrs in the OR. Lower back feels okay which is a plus. My feet still end up sore and burning after standing in these a few hours. Not sure what to try next.

Definitely almost rolled my ankle once or twice after a week. So far, these shoes don't help with sore feet after 12 hrs in the OR. Lower back feels okay which is a plus. My feet still end up sore and burning after standing in these a few hours. Not sure what to try next.

Nothing better than running shoes, IMO.