delete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elftown

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't know so much what I did in VR and BS, but in PS, I skimmed the passage first (did not read), then looked at the questions. It cut down a lot of my time.

I mean in all of them, you shouldn't let yourself get caught up in any one thing - part of a passage or question. If you need that part of the passage, you can always go back, and maybe the questions will give you a hint as to what the passage is focusing on. For questions, it's better to mark one and come back if you have time than waste a bunch of time and not get to the really easy ones at the end.

I start with the questions and then go to the passage as needed. Most of the questions can be done without reading the passage and referring to the passage as required by the question. For example, the question would say that the addition of NH3 to reaction 1 would lead to. You can read the entire passage or you can just look right at equation 1 and figure it out.

However, there are passages that are a must read. For example, there is usually one passage with two contradicting theories. It tends to be very VR like. In these passages, you have to read.

Also, I skip around the passages in BS and PS. So if I see a passage lets say about genetics which I don't really like, I'll skip and move onto maybe one about immunology. Also, if I can't understand the question in the first 10 seconds, I skip it and move on. If you cant answer the question within 45 sec, move on. You will have plenty of time to return to it.

^^^ Doesn't apply to VR section.

For ps, I do discretes first, then passages. Bs: discretes and ochm, then bio passages because they require more time for me. Bio is usually about experiments and graphs, so I like to be able to spend time w/out worrying about the "easier" stuff. For questions involving calculations, or something like stereochem w/in the passage questions, I do those after the non-calc based questions before moving onto the next passage.

Vr, I read the passage first. I take a reasonable amount of time to read the passage, because I find the questions easier that way.

Also, don't be perfectionistic. If you're unsure, mark a question and come back. The biggest waste of time for me is second guessing and over thinking.

I don't know so much what I did in VR and BS, but in PS, I skimmed the passage first (did not read), then looked at the questions. It cut down a lot of my time.

I mean in all of them, you shouldn't let yourself get caught up in any one thing - part of a passage or question. If you need that part of the passage, you can always go back, and maybe the questions will give you a hint as to what the passage is focusing on. For questions, it's better to mark one and come back if you have time than waste a bunch of time and not get to the really easy ones at the end.

About as good as advice gets. I second the PS thing - just skimming or reading fast just to know what's there. I actually feel I can do that in Bio as well (I am using TPR right now) but i force myself to read the passages slower for bio as I've heard you need to do that on the real thing.

Letting go is huge. I have that personality where sometimes i wish a tough question was a real person so i could kick em in the :eek: so its hard to let go. But this is key.....sometimes you can get so focused on one question you look up and you lost 3 minutes. Not worth it, guess, move on, come back if you have time