Best/Most efficient way to learn Diversity/Plants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtualmaster999

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Could I have some recommendations or suggestions on how to best conquer this material (the only material I have left for bio)? i'm starting destroyer next week, and I was thinking of making notecards for these sections, as I have for the other bio topics...but these sections have soooooooooo much info! Should I go through Destroyer first, and then finish off with these? or maybe do like an hour of diversity a day until I learn it all, while simultaneously doing destroyer?

Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I was where you were a couple of months ago. The diversity and plants chapters were completely new to me. I owe my understanding of those chapters to craig savage on youtube. Watch his animal diversity and the plant diversity playlists. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/user/XsavageXsecretX/playlists
His other stuff is great too and very relevant to the DAT. For the animal diversity chapter he makes a relationship tree which I copied onto a poster board and hanged in my room. After I did all of that I decided to re-read the biodiversity chapter on cliffs and as I was reading it I was able to anticipate the ending of every sentence.

Reactions: 2 users
I was where you were a couple of months ago. The diversity and plants chapters were completely new to me. I owe my understanding of those chapters to craig savage on youtube. Watch his animal diversity and the plant diversity playlists. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/user/XsavageXsecretX/playlists
His other stuff is great too and very relevant to the DAT. For the animal diversity chapter he makes a relationship tree which I copied onto a poster board and hanged in my room. After I did all of that I decided to re-read the biodiversity chapter on cliffs and as I was reading it I was able to anticipate the ending of every sentence.
Very nice thank you! Did you try to know every little thing? And did you use Ferralis' notes for diversity? I'm thinking about doing about an hour on notes/videos for this section while doing destroyer every day too.

Oh yes, forgot to mention, I had the ferralis notes in front of me while I was watching the diversity videos. The only thing is, Feralis notes stop at Chordates while the videos go more indepth and breakdown the phylum chordata. I strongly encourage you to go through the entire playlist because its all relevant to the DAT. Yes, some of his stuff go into alot more detail than the DAT requires, at least from what I've seen on destroyer and bootcamp (taking the actual DAT tomorrow :D), but he does an amazing job at presenting the overall big picture. Once you understand the big picture stuff from his videos do Destroyer Bio. This is what I did. Also, I made a ton off random notecards on topics I still struggled with in destroyer and went over them a few times. Repetition is key!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yes, forgot to mention, I had the ferralis notes in front of me while I was watching the diversity videos. The only thing is, Feralis notes stop at Chordates while the videos go more indepth and breakdown the phylum chordata. I strongly encourage you to go through the entire playlist because its all relevant to the DAT. Yes, some of his stuff go into alot more detail than the DAT requires, at least from what I've seen on destroyer and bootcamp (taking the actual DAT tomorrow :D), but he does an amazing job at presenting the overall big picture. Once you understand the big picture stuff from his videos do Destroyer Bio. This is what I did. Also, I made a ton off random notecards on topics I still struggled with in destroyer and went over them a few times. Repetition is key!

PocketRocket,

Wishing you the very best tomorrow You have put in a lot of hard work and it will pay off. Thanks for the link to Craig Savage, it will help a lot of students. Seems like students prefer to learn from video these days. And the bio section is vast and very random!

Take care..Nancy

These videos are absolute gold. Supplementing it with Feralis amazing notes properly, I hope to do well on this section come test day.

I've been making flash cards from destroyer. The people I've talked to that have taken it said they wished they spent more time on it for the biology.

Reactions: 1 user
For animal diversity, I'd recommend going through the taxonomy cheat sheet I created - it has multiple tabs with more depth on specific areas, e.g. Chordates:

http://datbootcamp.com/feralis-biology-notes/

I left a lot of the detail out of the diversity section of my notes and put them in that excel sheet instead.

We are responsible for knowing all the info on each individual plant/animal phyllum right? A combination of your notes, the excel cheat sheet, and Destroyer should be sufficient right?

We are responsible for knowing all the info on each individual plant/animal phyllum right? A combination of your notes, the excel cheat sheet, and Destroyer should be sufficient right?

Information on the plants/phylum could show up on the test, but that combination should be more than sufficient.

virtualmaster999, Unfortunately everything is fair game. You are definitely on the right track! Keep going, as I have said many times before...Know the Destroyer cold!!!! ! Many different versions of the DAT, no easy way out! You are a sharp student moving towards razor sharp:)

Let me quote the legend Feralis!

"Bio (30): Incredibly easy, and this has nothing to do with my notes. It was just a very simple, generalized test that didn't focus too much on specific details. If someone erased my memory of all biology knowledge and then had me read Cliff's the night before and made sure I knew everything in Destroyer, I'd probably still have gotten a 30."

Reactions: 2 users
virtualmaster999, Unfortunately everything is fair game. You are definitely on the right track! Keep going, as I have said many times before...Know the Destroyer cold!!!! ! Many different versions of the DAT, no easy way out! You are a sharp student moving towards razor sharp:)

Let me quote the legend Feralis!

"Bio (30): Incredibly easy, and this has nothing to do with my notes. It was just a very simple, generalized test that didn't focus too much on specific details. If someone erased my memory of all biology knowledge and then had me read Cliff's the night before and made sure I knew everything in Destroyer, I'd probably still have gotten a 30."

I agree, the scope of the bio is very abundant! I look forward to going through Destroyer to gain a LOT of more knowledge :)

If you had a personal preference, would you advise students to start learning diversity from Destroyer, and once completed, go over notes, videos, etc...or the other way around? I'm most likely going to spend the majority of my time studying for bio from now on via Destroyer, so I'l probably commit ~1 hr per day for diversity content in addition to Destroyer. Is that a good setup?

I agree, the scope of the bio is very abundant! I look forward to going through Destroyer to gain a LOT of more knowledge :)

If you had a personal preference, would you advise students to start learning diversity from Destroyer, and once completed, go over notes, videos, etc...or the other way around? I'm most likely going to spend the majority of my time studying for bio from now on via Destroyer, so I'l probably commit ~1 hr per day for diversity content in addition to Destroyer. Is that a good setup?

Excellent plan!

For animal diversity, I'd recommend going through the taxonomy cheat sheet I created - it has multiple tabs with more depth on specific areas, e.g. Chordates:

Feralis Biology Notes | DAT Bootcamp

I left a lot of the detail out of the diversity section of my notes and put them in that excel sheet instead.

Hi Feralis! Currently trying to go through biological diversity and noticed that some portions found on AP Cliffs (fungi, bacteria) are not on the excel sheet. Am I missing something or looking at the wrong thing?

Thank you!

Hi Feralis! Currently trying to go through biological diversity and noticed that some portions found on AP Cliffs (fungi, bacteria) are not on the excel sheet. Am I missing something or looking at the wrong thing?

Thank you!

I think I covered those within my notes (the Word document), rather than in the excel sheet.

does anyone want to partake in a Whatsapp group for motivation while studying for the DAT this summer?