Best/most meaningful forms of volunteering.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Richanesthesiologist

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, I am volunteering at my University's Hospital (I'll be volunteering in the anesthesiology workroom next semester and possibly have a chance to shadow) and at a Florida Department of Health Branch. Neither offers a lot of patient contact, and they're are not the most fun. For example, at the department of health, I schedule patients, look at and analyze medical records, and compile pamphlets/plan health care awareness events. At the hospital, I will be doing stuff in the workroom. I want something more meaningful. Is working in a rural health clinic meaningful and inspirational? I will definitely get patient interaction there. Also, I was thinking of volunteering in a clinic in Cuzco, Peru or New Delhi India over the winter break. How do medical schools look upon this?

Members don't see this ad.

If you think you are doing meaningful work, it is probably meaningful.
Don't try too hard to decipher what the adcoms want because they are going to judge by who you are. Just be yourself and volunteer in things that you are passionate about. Do rural health if you want to get close to patients. If you volunteer abroad, it will probably be more effective if you go with a U.S.-based organization that goes on trips regularly, since they are more reliable references later on. But doing "busy work" jobs are also important, since even as a doctor you will be doing a ton of paperwork.

Reactions: 2 users
When I was a premed many moons ago, the most meaningful thing I did volunteer wise was play video games and do arts and crafts with kids at a children's hospital. It was great for the kids and also for their parents so they could rest or do other things. Plus you really can't beat playing video games for volunteer work.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When I was a premed many moons ago, the most meaningful thing I did volunteer wise was play video games and do arts and crafts with kids at a children's hospital. It was great for the kids and also for their parents so they could rest or do other things. Plus you really can't beat playing video games for volunteer work.
I second this!
One of my favorite volunteering activities was working in the playrooms at CHOC. We played board games, video games, air hockey, watched movies, did arts and crafts both in the playroom and at the bedsides. Sometimes When they were focusing on their games or their crafts I would sit there and doodle portraits of them and give it to them when they went back to their rooms. It definitely lifted their spirits and the parents as well.
I would have stayed to volunteer there every year if it weren't so far away from my school.

I third the above. Children's hospital game room and/or school room were very popular, the time flies by and you can see a much more tangible benefit to patient and their family than you do with stocking, giving directions at the help desk, etc.