Best most up to date CCM book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Critical care conferences (e.g. SMACC), critical care journals...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any good critical care journals that aren't ridiculously expensive to subscribe to?

I really enjoy the new ICU Manual. Very good and its purely clinical.

Vincent covers everything and does so without being verbose. My only giant CCM book.

Critical care in the adult patient is also a good inbetween the above 2 and is a doable alternative to a Marino.

Do you have an online version of the book??

I like Textbook of Critical Care by Vincent but this is fellow level
great book. very methodical without being superfluous, IMO. Dug it up as a PDF for free and I use several chapters a lot for teaching sessions.

Is that the online version , can I access it easily ??

Or just buy the printed version. It includes a downloadable (and online) Inkling version, much better than any pdf.

Members don't see this ad :)
I find I still prefer print over ebooks. Maybe generational, idk.
Me, too, except when in the hospital. Inkling is a fantastic platform (comes with all expertconsult.com books), and I don't even buy a book that doesn't have it anymore.

For the price of a printed book, I get the ebook included, and it looks better than the print. The Vincent book, for example, has small print on paper, so I actually prefer to read it on my iPad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me, too, except when in the hospital. Inkling is a fantastic platform (comes with all expertconsult.com books), and I don't even buy a book that doesn't have it anymore.

For the price of a printed book, I get the ebook included, and it looks better than the print. The Vincent book, for example, has small print on paper, so I actually prefer to read it on my iPad.
I'm with you on this. I keep an e-copy of all of my textbooks on my iPad for reading at work and I keep the shelfmonster at home for use there. It's nice to have a question come up and be able to look it up on the fly at work.

Bump. New fellow with some book money. Any input appreciated.
Wait for the new Vincent, coming out later this year. Probably worth every penny, like the last one.

Get an iPad Mini 2 or 3 when they go on sale. You should be able to get a 64 or 128 GB model for about 350-400. Fits your scrubs and white coats pocket perfectly. Will hold all the free expertconsult Inkling versions that come with most books you buy (don't buy big textbooks that don't come with a free ebook, period). Because of mine, I have about 20 medical ebooks in my pocket at all times.

If your institution offers free Springerlink, download Marik's 3rd evidence-based critical care. It's so good it's almost worth buying, too. It's just $140, which is crazy (and that comes from a huge fan of the book). As a fellow, it's probably much more worth buying the Critical Care Study Guide: Text and Review, even if it's from 2010. Which is also free on Springerlink.

You can also get the kindle version of the 2nd edition of Evidence-based practice of critical care (different book). It's less than $30, and it's more convenient to read than the big format paperback (which is all text anyway, so it looks fine in Kindle format). And it's fresh. The only problem with it is that it reads like a collection of review articles, while Marik reads like an Attenborough documentary, which also applies to Marino, just at a more resident level.

If you need a warm up book for icu, get Marino. The last edition comes with a free Inkling version that is updated every few months, so it's like it was published in 2016.

If you're not an internist, it might be worth getting the latest Washington Manual of Medical Therapeutics, which comes with a free Inkling ebook, too. Or, if your attention span is shorter, the new Pocket Medicine, that comes out in August.

Possibly more to come later, when I am at a PC, and can search my previous posts. Enjoy your fellowship; the best year(s) of your training. Happy reading! You can start for free with Dr. Tripp's fabulous study notes from here: http://www.wellingtonicu.com/Education/Resources/Tripp/ .

Wait for the new Vincent, coming out later this year. Probably worth every penny, like the last one.

Get an iPad Mini 2 or 3 when they go on sale. You should be able to get a 64 or 128 GB model for about 350-400. Fits your scrubs and white coats pocket perfectly. Will hold all the free expertconsult Inkling versions that come with most books you buy (don't buy big textbooks that don't come with a free ebook, period). Because of mine, I have about 20 medical ebooks in my pocket at all times.

If your institution offers free Springerlink, download Marik's 3rd evidence-based critical care. It's so good it's almost worth buying, too. It's just $140, which is crazy (and that comes from a huge fan of the book). As a fellow, it's probably much more worth buying the Critical Care Study Guide: Text and Review, even if it's from 2010. Which is also free on Springerlink.

You can also get the kindle version of the 2nd edition of Evidence-based practice of critical care (different book). It's less than $30, and it's more convenient to read than the big format paperback (which is all text anyway, so it looks fine in Kindle format). And it's fresh. The only problem with it is that it reads like a collection of review articles, while Marik reads like an Attenborough documentary, which also applies to Marino, just at a more resident level.

If you need a warm up book for icu, get Marino. The last edition comes with a free Inkling version that is updated every few months, so it's like it was published in 2016.

If you're not an internist, it might be worth getting the latest Washington Manual of Medical Therapeutics, which comes with a free Inkling ebook, too. Or, if your attention span is shorter, the new Pocket Medicine, that comes out in August.

Possibly more to come later, when I am at a PC, and can search my previous posts. Enjoy your fellowship; the best year(s) of your training. Happy reading! You can start for free with Dr. Tripp's fabulous study notes from here: http://www.wellingtonicu.com/Education/Resources/Tripp/ .

Thanks!! That's super helpful.

I have access to a lot online. I have an old iPad, but I actually really like paper texts. My thinking is that I need one textbook to primarily read cover to cover, sounds like you would recommend just waiting until Vincent comes out as my primary text?

Thanks!! That's super helpful.

I have access to a lot online. I have an old iPad, but I actually really like paper texts. My thinking is that I need one textbook to primarily read cover to cover, sounds like you would recommend just waiting until Vincent comes out as my primary text?
Honestly, I have read only 20% of Vincent (the former Shoemaker) yet, but it's great, as @VentdependenT suggested. I have read most of the other books I listed, I tend to read a bunch of blogs and watch a lot of FOAM stuff, so I am pretty up-to-date with the important literature. But, for me, as a reference, Vincent is enough (plus I tend to use uptodate.com more frequently). And, of course, I have it on my iPad mini, too.

I know that the new version is coming out only in December, but I think it's worth waiting for.

For what it's worth Dr Tripp's notes are quite popular Down Under! Good stuff, thanks FFP. :)

Honestly, I have read only 20% of Vincent (the former Shoemaker) yet, but it's great, as @VentdependenT suggested. I have read most of the other books I listed, I tend to read a bunch of blogs and watch a lot of FOAM stuff, so I am pretty up-to-date with the important literature. But, for me, as a reference, Vincent is enough (plus I tend to use uptodate.com more frequently). And, of course, I have it on my iPad mini, too.

I know that the new version is coming out only in December, but I think it's worth waiting for.

As far as foam stuff, I listen to EM-crit and the Maryland CC podcasts. Any other good CC podcasts?

As far as foam stuff, I listen to EM-crit and the Maryland CC podcasts. Any other good CC podcasts?
I am not an avid listener, but I tend to watch presentations (visual learner). I think you identified the best of the podcasts. Also look for SMACC-related stuff (you can also find the videos online - that applies to Maryland, too).

For what it's worth Dr Tripp's notes are quite popular Down Under! Good stuff, thanks FFP. :)
A lot of good free educational content comes from Oz and the Kiwis.

Like this one, for the latter: :)

Also, let's not forget that SMACC started in Australia.

Reactions: 1 users