Best NAPLEX review guide?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmacistReb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a preference or is there a gold-standard review guide for the NAPLEX? I'm leaning heavily towards the APhA Complete Review for Pharmacy.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
APhA review is gold standard, but way too detailed and too long unless you don't remember anything from classes/rotation. I would not get it unless you are already APhA member and get it for cheap/free.

I loved RxPrep book but it is pricey at $150. Worth it, IMO, as it's much more concise/relevant and summarizes things great, lots of "little things" as well, clinical/law pearls as well. NAPLEX review is not meant to be a substitute for Koda-Kimble or Remingtons, it is a tool to review all of the major concepts of the test and for that, RxPrep is best.

My credentials? Passed NAPLEX with flying colors with 1 month of study time. But I also had solid rotations and extensive experience (eg no memorizing brand/generic names). And I post on these formus a lot so i'm not just some advertising shill. YMMV.

Last edited:
I just passed with NAPLEX and I can tell you that there's no "best" study guide. The NAPLEX will ask you some random questions that you wouldn't get them correct even if you had studied 6 months in advance. The best approach is to study from multiple sources. Each has its strenght and weaknesses.

Ebay pharm charts: good, concise review. I am using it for the CPJE and NAPLEX and as a reference for work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Editio...3?pt=US_Texbook_Education&hash=item3ccde1ea77

The math review questions floating on this forum: very thorough review of math. Probably all you need for calculation on the NAPLEX. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=745265

I recommend studying at least 2-4 weeks. Don't try to study EVERYTHING. You will feel overwhelm. Stay focus and study the big topics in pharmacy, and you will do just fine.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
First off, thank you to everyone who has posted so much helpful advice on preparing for this exam!! It really makes a world of difference to hear first hand accounts about it.

My question is: I have been studying the rx prep book (got about 1/3 of te way through Kaplan before I got my hands on this book) and the SDN 120 calculations. Although rxprep has been way better written than Kaplan in my opinion, I've read so many posts saying that the rxprep quiz bank is essential- my problem is I don't have access to it! I plan to do 2 Kaplan practice tests, end of chapter questions in aPha, and a practice online test I found. Do you guys think that's enough practice questions to supplement not having the rxprep quiz bank?!? I've looked into that Lange q&a book, but the reviews I read on it said it had a ton of errors and was a waste of time and money because ppl constantly had to double check their answers from different sources... Any thoughts? I'd really appreciate any advice I can get! Test is April 9th!!

First off, thank you to everyone who has posted so much helpful advice on preparing for this exam!! It really makes a world of difference to hear first hand accounts about it.

My question is: I have been studying the rx prep book (got about 1/3 of te way through Kaplan before I got my hands on this book) and the SDN 120 calculations. Although rxprep has been way better written than Kaplan in my opinion, I've read so many posts saying that the rxprep quiz bank is essential- my problem is I don't have access to it! I plan to do 2 Kaplan practice tests, end of chapter questions in aPha, and a practice online test I found. Do you guys think that's enough practice questions to supplement not having the rxprep quiz bank?!? I've looked into that Lange q&a book, but the reviews I read on it said it had a ton of errors and was a waste of time and money because ppl constantly had to double check their answers from different sources... Any thoughts? I'd really appreciate any advice I can get! Test is April 9th!!

I thought the lange's book has good questions but I felt it was a little too complex for the naplex. If you think rxprep quiz bank is good then you should buy it. I think it's a good investment considering how important it is to pass the naplex on your first try and not have to wait 3 months in order to retake it.

Thanks for sharing..
I was wondering whether NAPLEX is all about case studies and medications OR it includes pathophysiology/mechanisms and other disease related stuff.
Thanks

This is my second time taking the NAPLEX. I took it back in August for my DE license and passed it with a 120 using only the RxPrep book. I highly recomend using it, I also had the APHA book, but I didn't touch it at all till the last day when I wanted to read some more in-depth details about some of the important topics.

Don't bother with the RxPrep questions online. I bought them and they were completely useless for the Naplex. Waste of time considering none of the questions are styled the same way as the Naplex nor is as hard as the Naplex questions.

Taking the Naplex again and I'm using the RxPrep 2012 edition. Need it to get my PA license since I can't reciprocate.

I highly, highly, recommend using RxPrep. It saved me such a headache after seeing what APHA has to offer

RXPrep. Loved it. To the point and had exactly what I needed. I had the APhA and Kaplan books. I only used them to do questions and quiz banks. I think I looked up HIV in APhA thinking back but it wasn't needed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just used the NAPLEX Review Guide by McGraw-Hill. It's free if your school gives you access to Access Pharmacy. This book just gives you the highlights of all the topics. I bought one of those huge detailed books, but I never even opened them.

Thanks for sharing..
I was wondering whether NAPLEX is all about case studies and medications OR it includes pathophysiology/mechanisms and other disease related stuff.
Thanks

case studies and medications: Yes.
pathophysiology: Yes.
mechanisms: Yes.
other disease related stuff: Yes.
Sorry, my friends...Keep your hope up as always...Passing rate is over 90 percent...

And lots of calculations (25 or more)...

NAPLEX BLUE PRINT:
https://www.nabp.net/programs/examination/naplex/naplex-blueprint

Area 1 Assess Pharmacotherapy to Assure Safe and Effective Therapeutic Outcomes (Approximately 56% of Test)
  • 1.1.0 Identify, interpret, and evaluate patient information to determine the presence of a disease or medical condition, assess the need for treatment and/or referral, and identify patient-specific factors that affect health, pharmacotherapy, and/or disease management.
  • 1.1.1 Identify and assess patient information including medication, laboratory, and disease state histories.
  • 1.1.2 Identify patient specific assessment and diagnostic methods, instruments, and techniques and interpret their results.
  • 1.1.3 Identify and define the etiology, terminology, signs, and symptoms associated with diseases and medical conditions and their causes and determine if medical referral is necessary.
  • 1.1.4 Identify and evaluate patient genetic, and biosocial factors, and concurrent drug therapy, relevant to the maintenance of wellness and the prevention or treatment of a disease or medical condition.
  • 1.2.0 Evaluate information about pharmacoeconomic factors, dosing regimen, dosage forms, delivery systems and routes of administration to identify and select optimal pharmacotherapeutic agents, for patients
  • 1.2.1 Identify specific uses and indications for drug products and recommend drugs of choice for specific diseases or medical conditions.
  • 1.2.2 Identify the chemical/pharmacologic classes of therapeutic agents and describe their known or postulated sites and mechanisms of action.
  • 1.2.3 Evaluate drug therapy for the presence of pharmacotherapeutic duplications and interactions with other drugs, food, and diagnostic tests.
  • 1.2.4 Identify and evaluate potential contraindications and provide information about warnings and precautions associated with a drug product’s active and inactive ingredients.
  • 1.2.5 Identify physicochemical properties of drug substances that affect their solubility, pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic properties, pharmacologic actions, and stability.
  • 1.2.6 Evaluate and interpret pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic principles to calculate and determine appropriate drug dosing regimens.
  • 1.2.7 Identify appropriate routes of administration, dosage forms, and pharmaceutical characteristics of drug dosage forms and delivery systems, to assure bioavailability and enhance therapeutic efficacy.
  • 1.3.0 Evaluate and manage drug regimens by monitoring and assessing the patient and/or patient information, collaborating with other health care professionals, and providing patient education to enhance safe, effective, and economic patient outcomes.
  • 1.3.1 Identify pharmacotherapeutic outcomes and endpoints.
  • 1.3.2 Evaluate patient signs and symptoms, and the findings of monitoring tests and procedures to determine the safety and effectiveness of pharmacotherapy. Recommend needed followup evaluations or tests when appropriate.
  • 1.3.3 Identify, describe, and provide information regarding the mechanism of adverse reactions, allergies, side effects, iatrogenic, and drug-induced illness, including their management and prevention.
  • 1.3.4 Identify, prevent, and address methods to remedy medication non-adherence, misuse, or abuse.
  • 1.3.5 Evaluate current drug regimens and recommend pharmacotherapeutic alternatives or modifications.

Do you think RxPrep or PassNaplexNow is better? I'm debating between the two and can't decide.

RXPREP helped many of my friends passed on first try. Please look around this forum with keyword rxprep and you will find lots of interestingly helpful comments about RXPREP.
(No comment about PassNaplexNow because did not try.)
(Another consensus: do not read APHA yet until you are done with RXPREP or PassNaplexNow.)

I just used the NAPLEX Review Guide by McGraw-Hill. It's free if your school gives you access to Access Pharmacy. This book just gives you the highlights of all the topics. I bought one of those huge detailed books, but I never even opened them.

the thick book you are referring to...is it the apha book?

Prontopass for math...SDN 120 calculations also good for math but it was too difficult for me to do alone (thankfully had a study buddy help me through a lot of them)

Rxprep is the best overall

Hi Guys i have pharmacutical calculation download but when i am trying to find word it wont let me do it can someone please help