Best Neurologist in New York City area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medInUSA

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
---

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Stephan Mayer. He could have your loved one intubated, lined, and burst-suppressed in 20 minutes. That is the mark of any superior neurologist.

Seriously, though. A quick Google search states that 222 Board-Certified Neurologists in New York City made the U.S. News Top Doctors list. Pick one of those. I'd probably go to Steve Galetta, who was previously at Penn but now is at NYU.

If you can't see Posner, then you might as well see Dr. Nick.

Seriously this has got to be the single most idiotic question ever asked on this forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought galetta is neuro ophtho.

Maybe you could call offices and find out about their specialties when choosing to have them evaluated for change in gait

Galetta does it all. And there is no "change-in-gait-ologist" as a neuro subspecialty. That is just bread-and-butter neuro. PD? NPH? Lumbar plexopathy from diabetes? Schistosomiasis of the cauda equina? All are on the differential. It's so exciting I could cry.

Driving restrictions seems to cure 50% of these :laugh:

Lol that's a good one, I'll have to remember that.

Seriously though, people get way wrapped up in the "I HAVE to see the absolute best" mentality... here's the way I see it, any neurologist that is board certified is going to know a reasonable workup for gait instability. They're also going to have much shorter wait times to see a new patient, so you reasonably could have a diagnosis and plan of action in a brief amount of time. Or, one could wait a year or a year and a half to see "the best."

I have 3 replies

1) This is an inappropriate thread and should be deleted. I do not mean to suggest that your relative's health is unimportant, but this forum is not meant for medical advice.

2) There is no "best" neurologist. How well your loved one will do is mostly dependent on the underlying nature of the disease rather than the quality of medical care. I recommend getting a neurology referral from the primary doctor and getting a second opinion if you are unsatisfied. I wish you the best of luck. Gait difficulty can be complicated and difficult for internists to evaluate. This is a common presenting complaint in neurology, and most neurologists have signigicant clinical experience with gait disorders. As someone previously suggested, multiple classes of neurological disease can cause gait difficulty, so we would not be able to recommend a particular subspecialty based on the limited information your provided.

3) "222 Board-Certified Neurologists in New York City made the U.S. News Top Doctors list"

It shocks me that someone with actual clinical experience would recommend consulting the Top doctors list from U.S. news.

I do not recommend this. The Top Doctors list from US news is based on peer votes from other physicians which is not a reasonably accurate way to asses clinical ability and is highly biased in favor of academicians and other physicans with extensive connections within the field.

Moderator, please delete the thread.
thank you