Best NYC Residency Location?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EasyRider

I FEEL A NEED 4 SPEED
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which program in New York City has the best location? I am looking for something in the heart of manhattan.

Also which programs offer a program to help supplement housing costs?

Thank you very much

Members don't see this ad.

Columbia is in manhattan (dont know about it being in the "heart" of it though). From my experience right now, I have to say the housing situation is probably the worst of the other strong programs in manhattan, because there is no subsidized housing (there is a small stipend of $3000/yr to help out) and the areas around the hospital aren't that great (and UWS is crazy expensive and not even that nice). coming from out of state, if you're prioritizing the housing situation, it would be great to end up at a hospital where there is housing available because it's not easy arranging for housing in NYC from long distance. cornell (manhattan) and Einstein (in the bronx) are two that i know of. Mt Sinai and NYU are in nice parts of manhattan so maybe finding housing there on your own would be easier (though pricey, I'm sure)--i actually dont know if these 2 have their own housing.

None of the 'big four' programs in Manhattan - Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Sinai - are exactly in the 'heart' of NYC (whatever that means).

First of all NYC doesn't really have a 'heart.' You could say that 42nd street/Times Square is about in the middle, but nobody would ever want to live there. It's really more about which neighborhoods you prefer (clean/quiet UES, academic/bourgeois UWS, gritty Hell's Kitchen, central Chelsea/Clinton, funky E Vil, quaint W Vil, ethnic Chinatown, boutiquey SoHo, etc).

But even given that, none of C/C/N/MS are in great neighborhoods. Columbia's is sort of scuzzy and downtrodden-looking and there are very few good cafes/restaurants/shops. Subway access is great but it's a thirty-minute train ride to anywhere interesting. Cornell is very pretty and in an attractive area but sort of out of the way and it's difficult to access the subway. Sinai is right next to Central Park, which is appealing; the neighborhood is just okay and subway access is difficult. NYU's main campus is in a great spot but the medical campus is in a not-very-interesting area that is too far east and again, not well situated wrt the subway.

There are some smaller hospitals with their own residency programs as well (e.g., St Luke's, Roosevelt Hospital) that I won't go into here.

Anyways a lot of the residents don't actually live right next to the hospitals. Proximity is important but so is price, neighborhood, subway access, luck, and where your friends live.

I've heard that Beth Israel has a pretty sweet location and subsidized housing in their own apartment building.

Cornell offers pretty good subsidized housing. It's not necessarily cheap, but it's still much cheaper than what you would normally pay for housing in that area. Also, it is fairly "in the heart" of things, at least compared to Columbia, which is at the northernmost tip of Manhattan. One problem is that the subway is sort-of a hike from the campus (10 minute walk), which may change if they ever get around to actually making that 2nd Ave. subway line (they've broken ground for this something like 4 times and have never gotten anywhere).

NYU is not in a great spot WRT subways, but there is a (free) NYU bus that makes loops between the Med Center and the main campus, which has access to the ACE, FV, RW and 456 lines.