Apr 27, 2009
Oregon!!!!
Status
Pre-Dental
Here's the Deal,

I've been getting really frustrated with Ochem, took it 2 years ago at UCLA. I had such a great teacher, but I forgot everything!
I'm doing fine on my other sections and I'm a serious kid looking to get an overall of 23-25 on my DATs. But to do that I need to get better at Ochem. I've taken Barron's DAT tests and got 21s on Ochem. I know concepts well I guess. I know a handful of reactions, but most of them I don't understand at all. I just get really pissed off that I can't understand what the heck the Blue book is saying. I'm on chapter 8

I heard the actual DATs have very typical straight forward reactions?
Do you guys thinnk I should:
1) save time and JUST study the road maps
2) take time and go through Bluebook, on Chapter 8 but the material is starting to go RIGHT past my head.

My test is scheduled for 8/8 but I can push it back a bit, maybe 8/14 depending on what you guys think I should do.

I've been getting avg of
23 PAT, CDP angles killin me (-6 on that section every time!)
22 Bio, can't do much but keep diving into concepts, my fav subject, love studying for it, gonna kick ass by test day.
20 Gchem, just finished taking notes, haven't started to study! okay score for now.
21 QR, gonna kick ass by test day
21 RC, any suggestions?
21 Ochem (but I don't know a load of reactions! I guess concepts are my strengths for now). Is 2 weeks enough to raise each of my
sections, or should I postpone my test to 3 weeks from today? Again, my goal is 23-25. Gotta aim high!

Thanks for the help! I've been reading SDN a lot and I hope to get responses from the big-time posters who know their ish!

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2009
Status
Yes, if you're serious about getting a 23-25 (AA I assume), take the time to understand organic chemistry; simply memorizing the roadmaps is a way of setting yourself up for failure.

Organic chemistry and general chemistry are the two sections with the biggest potential payoff for time invested.

Getting a perfect ochem and gchem score will help your AA tremendously.

dfymarine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
what the heck!

those are really great scores!

btw, Orgo chem is a joke compared to the Orgo chem in undergraduate, just remember the road maps down cold, you will ace it!

oh, how do you study for the QR!!!!!??? Im having trouble with it

thnx!

Jun 19, 2009
Status
what the heck!

those are really great scores!

btw, Orgo chem is a joke compared to the Orgo chem in undergraduate, just remember the road maps down cold, you will ace it!

oh, how do you study for the QR!!!!!??? Im having trouble with it

thnx!
Lol memorizing the roadmaps will not allow you to ace the orgo section (ace meaning 23+)

The test is usually a fine balance between synthetic (slot and filler) questions and other topics.

Just to let you know...it isn't slot and filler questions that usually trip people out on this section.

ZzZzSleepyhead

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm also curious how you're studying for QR.

May 15, 2009
CA
Status
Dental Student
I think it really depends on the version of the test. Memorizing the roadmaps will indeed get you a 23+, provided that you get a reaction oriented exam. There are other versions of the test that are more concept oriented, however. I think it's stupid to take chances, because you simply don't know what version of the test you'll be getting. So, get to understand the underlying concepts, and then work really hard to know all the reactions cold.

OP
J
Apr 27, 2009
Oregon!!!!
Status
Pre-Dental

Advice for the QR,

I just took 2 practice tests and got a 25 and 23 Highest practices so far. I know you guys wanted to study tips, but here are some additional advices:

You MUST take this section seriously. The reason why people do poorly is not because its difficult, but because they don't spend much time studying it. You have to condition yourself for this part. My first diag was a 16. Now I'm hitting 22+ every practice test from every type of test out there. Think of it as conditioning as if you were getting ready for your basketball season or football season. You gotta get used to getting tough problems thrown at you and then stretching your mind to solve them. I've seen so many scores get hurt by this section and its such a waste for a possible high score. My dad loves math so he's always biased about me studying for this part. So I'm glad I have someone pushing me. But for everyone else, make sure you spend every other day taking a practice test or doing a handful of problems. You CANNOT just wing this section. My friends who got 780-800 on SAT Math got scores of 17, 18, 18 on this section thinking they were fine.

Now for the actual studying:

1) Before doing anything, study your math rules including trig, roots, circles, triangles, area formulas, etc. You need to equip yourself with everything in the math world. In additions, these formulas will allow you to execute any shortcuts on the test. Without using some shortcuts, you'll probably run outta time.

2) When you miss a problem, do NOT let it walk you by. Dig deep into it and fully understand the math and logic behind the problem.

3) With 15 mins left, you will feel screwed and probably panic. The last 15 mins of you test will make the difference between a 17 and a 20+. Those who score well on this section stay confident and stay FOCUSED. Be sharp and don't worry about all the other ones you skipped.

4) Use SAT math books. No preference on what to study. Its all case-based. See what kind of questions you get wrong and look for things that'll help you. But SAT math books are great. Def. know everything in Barron's DAT book on the math section. It does a great job at giving you practical tools you'll need.

Hope that helps! Keep the questions coming! Keep the answers coming as well!

MTD52

Class of 2014
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2008
New Jersey
Status
Dental Student
lol I can't believe you're worried about this. Those are great scores. You definitely don't need to postpone.

As far as orgo goes, I wouldn't only study the road maps, but they're a great tool in the arsenal :). Use Kaplan also and practice problems on Destroyer. For me, Topscore helped a lot too.