best of the east

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geekgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
inspired by the midwest conversation, how would you rank the best academic programs in the east?
and who have i forgotten?

e.g.
hopkins
mgh
upenn
brigham
duke
etc

Members don't see this ad.

geekgirl said:
inspired by the midwest conversation, how would you rank the best academic programs in the east?

e.g.
hopkins
mgh
upenn
brigham
duke
etc

Add Columbia, and maybe Cornell, Mt. Sinai to the above list...

geekgirl said:

e.g.
hopkins
mgh
upenn
brigham
duke
etc

What have you got against new york? :)

Here is how I classify programs in the east:
Anything in NYC >>>>> programs located anywhere else ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
how rude, i did forget the city of good fashion.....
sincerest apologies.

robotsonic said:

robotsonic said:

Couldn't agree more. One problem with NY programs - the best programs seem to be located in the worst neighborhoods and vice-versa. WHY????? :mad:

AlexRusso said:
Couldn't agree more. One problem with NY programs - the best programs seem to be located in the worst neighborhoods and vice-versa. WHY????? :mad:

bad neighborhood+ lots of knife and gun club+people with no access to health care that leads to smoldering pathology that goes unchecked=good cases and experience.

Personal random thoughts on NYC programs...

Pro: NYC is the pioneer of 80hrs. You can be out the door as an intern post call by 9am. I know people in CA who stay post-call until the intern-level work is done, which can be as late as 6pm.

Cons: Citywide...you'll run into poor ancillary staffing. Nurses and techs who are protected by nyc unions, hence they'll only do the bare minimum as stated in their contracts. That translates into no blood draws or EKG's by floor nurses, very poor patient transport in the middle of the night, hard to find radiology techs, etc. It varies to some degree in each hospital, but as a whole, NYC sucks in this area compared to the rest of the nation.

Here's my take on the east coast academic ranks, as always take it with a grain of salt

1. Penn
2. Hopkins
3. MGH
4. Duke
5. Brigham
6. Columbia
7. Cornell
8. NYU

Best of luck on the interview trail.

ms697 said:
Here's my take on the east coast academic ranks, as always take it with a grain of salt

1. Penn
2. Hopkins
3. MGH
4. Duke
5. Brigham
6. Columbia
7. Cornell
8. NYU

Best of luck on the interview trail.

why penn over hopkins? just curious.

1. Penn
2. Hopkins
3. MGH
4. Duke
5. Brigham
6. Columbia
7. Cornell
8. NYU

This is great - a list of the most malignant programs in the country. :laugh:

Here is a list of programs the Program Director at my medical school put together by region when we kept asking him as 4th years what the best places to apply to were. He used the following criteria: academic reputation, research funding/lab opportunities, fellowship placement (where, how often, what specialty, (PedsSurg at Boston Children's/CHOP, SurgOnc at MSKCC/MD Anderson, etc), clinical experience (Livers, Whipples, Esophageal, etc.), academic/national reputation of faculty members, and general concensus among other surgeons. Our PD felt that training at these places would put us in good postion to match in to competitive academic fellowships. The list is not exhaustive, it is 2 years old, and it is just one PD's opinion. I'm sure it left some great programs off, but take it for what it is. Good luck with the match.

WEST: UWashington, UCSF, UCLA, Stanford, Utah, Colorado
MIDWEST: Minnesota, Mayo, Michigan, WashU, Wisconsin, Cincinnati, Louisville, U of Chicago, Northwestern
SOUTH/SOUTHEAST: UAB, Baylor(Houston), UTSW, Emory, UVA, Vanderbilt, Duke, Emory
EAST: NYU, Cornell, Columbia, BID, MGH, B&W, UPenn, Hopkins, Yale

Top 10 in the East for surgical resident training and academic reputation I would say . . .

1.MGH
2.Brigham
3.Hopkins
4.Duke
5.Pitt
6.Emory
7.Penn
8.Cornell
9.Columbia
10.NYU

Anyone have a list of top 10 great academic/not-malignant programs? :)

avgjoe said:
Anyone have a list of top 10 great academic/not-malignant programs? :)

I heartily agree. I want to work hard at a respected place but REALLY am trying to weed out malignant programs from the top-rated academic places nationwide. Any suggestions for differences between Cornell/Columbia/Emory for malignancy sake?

happy puppet said:
I heartily agree. I want to work hard at a respected place but REALLY am trying to weed out malignant programs from the top-rated academic places nationwide. Any suggestions for differences between Cornell/Columbia/Emory for malignancy sake?

Can't speak about Cornell or Columbia, but interviewing at Emory left me with the impression that it was distinctly non-malignant. The program director and chair seemed genuinely gracious, and the residents all seemed extremely happy and supportive of each other. I was also impressed with the attendings that interviewed us, as all were cordial, relaxed and friendly. If it is any indication, one of the Emory med students said that of the 8 gen surg applicants from her school, 6-7 were hoping to stay at Emory for residency--pretty high praise!

HMS '05 said:
interviewing at Emory left me with the impression that it was distinctly non-malignant. The program director and chair seemed genuinely gracious, and the residents all seemed extremely happy and supportive of each other.

I actually spent a month at Emory and I completely agree with HMS '05. I met with the program director and asked him to describe his program and he said something like- We take competitive medical students who are nice people train them well, work them hard and they leave here well trained surgeons who are still nice people.
Overall the residents were great people, I enjoyed working and hanging out with them alot.

I believe louisville is a better program than any program in NY

Sebastian. said:
Nope, that's no indication at all. It's just the "correct" answer.

What exactly did you mean? Perhaps I was unclear in my post, but the student who volunteered this to me said it privately, out of earshot from any PD, interviewers or current residents. While she may have been boldly lying to my face, I can't really think of any motivation or purpose she would have for doing so. I think she was just honestly happy with what she had seen of her program as a med student, and wanted to share her frank evaluation of the program.

Sebastian. said:
What I mean is that he may believe all his classmates want to stay. But it ain't necessarily so. Almost everyone at my school says that. There's a belief that you have to say you want to stay or they'll be offended (and maybe not help as much with the process - phone calls etc,). You have to really have earned people's trust over time to get even a hint of their real intentions.

I agree. I feel a certain amount of loyalty to my medical school and hospital, so I wouldn't admit not wanting to stay here for residency. My classmates seem the same way - when we discuss it we are vague about exactly where we want to go. I'm sure it will become less vague as we finish with interviews and form or rank lists, but for now I doubt that everyone is being truthful about where they want to be, especially since you don't want to offend anyone at your home program.

Having said that, though, I guess it is better to hear someone say that the med students want to stay at the home program than to hear that they all hate it and want to leave. That would definitely be a bad sign.