1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

best of...???

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by johndean11229, Sep 6, 2001.

1. johndean11229

johndean11229 Member
    10+ Year Member

i dont want to start a fight among you all....hahah, but i was wondering if anyone wanted to be humble and give a ranking of the best osteopathic medical schools in the nation....thanks a bunch

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Another Brooklynite. Cool.

Anyway the osteopathic medical schools I think are way up there, and in no particular order, are: NYCOM, PCOM, CCOM, AZCOM, TCOM, SFCOM, and KCOM. That's only 7 of 19 colleges. The others are OK, but I'd shoot for one of these seven.

4. PuppyLuv

PuppyLuv Member
    10+ Year Member

officially it's:
    1. COMP
    2. Nova, AZCOM, CCOM, PCOM
    3. NYCOM and the rest

5. jimjones

jimjones Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

The DO I've been shadowing suggested the older, established schools were invariably the better ones.
    Interesting that the above posts suggest the oppossite.

6. slindsay198

slindsay198 Member
    10+ Year Member

jim, the last time i checked PCOM, KCOM, etc were "older, more established schools." perhaps you should ask the DO you're shadowing to elaborate more on this.

7. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Puppy Love,
    How can you leave KCOM out of the list of the top DO schools? I would have to disagree!

8. nycom@juno.com

7+ Year Member

I would subtract AZCOM from Turtleboard's list, and add New Jersey-SOM instead.

(From what has been rumored: AZCOM doesn't compare to the med. schools that are situated near metropolitan hospitals where students rotate for clinicals).

9. jimjones

jimjones Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

slindsay- re-reading my post I think it still makes sense, KCOM and PCOM were 2 of 7 schools that were listed. Not there were UHS and DMU, the latter being 100 years old.

It's an interesting topic, but I think you could list them in any order and still have a valid argument. I think all the schools are probably good and have different strengths/weaknesses.

The DO I shadowed is a KCOM graduate, so he may have been biased in his suggestion. ;)

10. johndean11229

johndean11229 Member
    10+ Year Member

puppylove, thanks for your rankings. is comp the chicago school or the iowa school? thanks

11. DO/MBA

DO/MBA Member
    7+ Year Member

What are you judging your criteria on? Who makes these lists? (It's not US News and World Report. I checked.) US News has rankings for two DO schools in with the MD schools for Tops in Primary Care. The other list is for research and well DO schools are now starting to catch up. (I Hope) I think they are all real good. No one cares where you go to school. Get good grades, do well on boards, and get along with your attendings so you can do the residency that you want where you want to do it. Besides that it is all a "Where do you want to live for the next few years?" question.

12. John DO

John DO A.T. Still Endowed Chair
    7+ Year Member

officially according to who??

As far as I know, USNews seems to prefer a different list, not that I always believe the USNews list. However, who else ranks the schools fairly?

13. dude7

dude7 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

all you fools are wrong :) its MSUCOM. They will be the best DO school for a while to come.

14. John DO

John DO A.T. Still Endowed Chair
    7+ Year Member

Obviously, which school holds the number one position will depend on which category you are considering. That said, I checked with American Medical Student Association's The New Physician magazine, which publishes a yearly list of the top medical schools as judged by the school's placement of graduates in primary care fields. According to the May-June, 2001, issue, KCOM ranked number 1 with LECOM coming in a close second. This was a correction from the April issue, which inadvertently listed LECOM as number 1.

I hope this helps!

15. ChillerK

ChillerK Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

DO/MBA

Why do you love your MBA? I have an MBA, and hate my job. Do you find your MBA useful as a DO? I am hoping that once I finish out my pre-reqs, I will either go back and get my DO, or become a PA, if I cant afford med school.

Thanks for your opinion!

Chilly

16. Tim Wu you're killing me.. UHS-COM isn't even in your list.
    OK I'm sure I'll start a war now but the oldest 3 school are UHS-COM, Des Moines, and Kirksville. Hate to break it to you guys but
    older is sometimes better. Most allopathic doc's I know know these schools well as they've all been around since 1920's

OU-COM, NJCOM and TCOM also rank up there mainly b/c their rotation sites are top notch and their students do very well on boards.

But.. you need to take into account the learning strategies of each school and how they will treat their incoming class.

UHS has started a systems approach that is really the best way to learn! Although I'm a graduate of the old system the teachers are top notch (2 new Harvard prof's) and are willing to go the extra mile. Each incoming MS1 is given a MS2 student as an advisor as well as a faculty mentor to guide them through the turmoil and frustrations of "the adjustment phases" (MS1's know first hand of this when they start reliving anatomy class in their dreams).

Good luck
    Go DO!
    :) D

17. Steev2000

Steev2000 Member
    10+ Year Member

The best D.O. school is the one that you decide to attend. The other 18 are tied for second place. Look at a bunch of schools, pick the one that is right for you and that is it: the number one school, no questions asked.

18. Amra

Amra A Quiet Voice of Reason
    10+ Year Member

Steev has a good point. I've realized this in researching the schools prepping for interviews.. the best school is the one that you goto. Let's face it, after four years we're all Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine.

The same is true of allopathic schools. In the end, we're all "Doctor" with the same opportunities (post grad).

And yes, I am a big supporter of the segregation of osteopathic and allopathic medicine. Waaay different ideologies. But, yes, apples and oranges are both fruits.

My pet peeve (still) is peeps that apply to both MD and DO schools... "....I just want to be a doctor...." PLEASE! Learn something about want you want to be when you grow up... (not directed at anyone in particular - just had to get it off my chest).

-A

19. jimjones

jimjones Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

So I guess that means that if you were denied admission to all of the osteopathic schools, but offered a spot in an M.D. school you'd turn it down and look for work in the janitorial service industry instead?