headsup

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2005
112
1
Status
Pre-Dental
I was wondering what are some of the good 6 year OMFS programs that can prepare residents to go into craniofacial reconstruction or microvascular fellowships?
Thanks
 

ajmacgregor

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2003
122
4
41
new york
Visit site
Status
headsup said:
I was wondering what are some of the good 6 year OMFS programs that can prepare residents to go into craniofacial reconstruction or microvascular fellowships?
Thanks
Any program that offers an MD.
 

headsup

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2005
112
1
Status
Pre-Dental
but is there any programs that emphasize more on thoe two fellowships during the residency, so that you'll be better suited to do the fellowships,
Let's say Parkland vs Harvard vs UCSF vs Columbia....
which one would you do if you're thinking about getting a fellowship in craniofacial and/or microvascular?
 
About the Ads

ajmacgregor

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2003
122
4
41
new york
Visit site
Status
headsup said:
but is there any programs that emphasize more on thoe two fellowships during the residency, so that you'll be better suited to do the fellowships,
Let's say Parkland vs Harvard vs UCSF vs Columbia....
which one would you do if you're thinking about getting a fellowship in craniofacial and/or microvascular?
First, I think you should go to a program where they see these types of cases, not necessarily a program that "has a BIG name"...

That being said, based on what I know:

Harvard: Heavy on craniofacial; Very little cancer - no microvascular.
UCSF: Good mix of craniofacial and cancer, but caseloads are relatively light.
Parkland: Good mix of everything under the sun.

I know OMFS guys/gals who trained at each of the above programs. They're all very good surgeons (two did fellowships), so you can't really go wrong with any of these programs.

I have no idea about Columbia.

You may also want to consider Oregon, UWash (they had a 6-year program when I was a dental student - not sure if they still do), Maryland, LSU (the one with Ghali), and UMDNJ.

Finally, as far as I've heard, these fellowships aren't very difficult to get since there's literally no $$$ in either craniofacial or cancer (same reasons the ENTs and Plastics guys tend to shy away from these).
 

headsup

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2005
112
1
Status
Pre-Dental
Thanks alot for the information...

ajmacgregor said:
First, I think you should go to a program where they see these types of cases, not necessarily a program that "has a BIG name"...

That being said, based on what I know:

Harvard: Heavy on craniofacial; Very little cancer - no microvascular.
UCSF: Good mix of craniofacial and cancer, but caseloads are relatively light.
Parkland: Good mix of everything under the sun.

I know OMFS guys/gals who trained at each of the above programs. They're all very good surgeons (two did fellowships), so you can't really go wrong with any of these programs.

I have no idea about Columbia.

You may also want to consider Oregon, UWash (they had a 6-year program when I was a dental student - not sure if they still do), Maryland, LSU (the one with Ghali), and UMDNJ.

Finally, as far as I've heard, these fellowships aren't very difficult to get since there's literally no $$$ in either craniofacial or cancer (same reasons the ENTs and Plastics guys tend to shy away from these).
 
About the Ads