best OMFS programs that can lead to fellowships?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

headsup

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what are some of the good 6 year OMFS programs that can prepare residents to go into craniofacial reconstruction or microvascular fellowships?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

headsup said:
I was wondering what are some of the good 6 year OMFS programs that can prepare residents to go into craniofacial reconstruction or microvascular fellowships?
Thanks

Any program that offers an MD.

but is there any programs that emphasize more on thoe two fellowships during the residency, so that you'll be better suited to do the fellowships,
Let's say Parkland vs Harvard vs UCSF vs Columbia....
which one would you do if you're thinking about getting a fellowship in craniofacial and/or microvascular?

Members don't see this ad :)
headsup said:
but is there any programs that emphasize more on thoe two fellowships during the residency, so that you'll be better suited to do the fellowships,
Let's say Parkland vs Harvard vs UCSF vs Columbia....
which one would you do if you're thinking about getting a fellowship in craniofacial and/or microvascular?

First, I think you should go to a program where they see these types of cases, not necessarily a program that "has a BIG name"...

That being said, based on what I know:

Harvard: Heavy on craniofacial; Very little cancer - no microvascular.
UCSF: Good mix of craniofacial and cancer, but caseloads are relatively light.
Parkland: Good mix of everything under the sun.

I know OMFS guys/gals who trained at each of the above programs. They're all very good surgeons (two did fellowships), so you can't really go wrong with any of these programs.

I have no idea about Columbia.

You may also want to consider Oregon, UWash (they had a 6-year program when I was a dental student - not sure if they still do), Maryland, LSU (the one with Ghali), and UMDNJ.

Finally, as far as I've heard, these fellowships aren't very difficult to get since there's literally no $$$ in either craniofacial or cancer (same reasons the ENTs and Plastics guys tend to shy away from these).

Thanks alot for the information...

ajmacgregor said:
First, I think you should go to a program where they see these types of cases, not necessarily a program that "has a BIG name"...

That being said, based on what I know:

Harvard: Heavy on craniofacial; Very little cancer - no microvascular.
UCSF: Good mix of craniofacial and cancer, but caseloads are relatively light.
Parkland: Good mix of everything under the sun.

I know OMFS guys/gals who trained at each of the above programs. They're all very good surgeons (two did fellowships), so you can't really go wrong with any of these programs.

I have no idea about Columbia.

You may also want to consider Oregon, UWash (they had a 6-year program when I was a dental student - not sure if they still do), Maryland, LSU (the one with Ghali), and UMDNJ.

Finally, as far as I've heard, these fellowships aren't very difficult to get since there's literally no $$$ in either craniofacial or cancer (same reasons the ENTs and Plastics guys tend to shy away from these).