SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Best OMM school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Hope2001, Apr 1, 2001.

1. I heard KCOM, DMU, and maybe Pikesville are very strong in OMM. Does anyone know which school is ranked #1 in OMM? I'm really interested in OMM and want to be able to get the best training possible.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Toran

Toran Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 18, 1998
    Your off to a good start with your list. I would say that the #1 school depends on who you talk with. There is no real way to decide. TCOM is also really strong from what I've heard from drusso.

toran

4. zorro21

zorro21 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 3, 2000
    how does LECOM rank in the world of OMM?

5. muonwhiz

muonwhiz Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 6, 2001
    I've heard that it was a dead toss up between DMU and KCOM. Anyone know if this is officially ranked somewhere? Or osteo schools in general?

6. Toran

Toran Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 18, 1998
    How would you possibly decide if one school is better than another?

Check out the other forums; Osteopathic has a more in depth discussion of the same topic

7. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 17, 1998
    Kansas
    I think what school is the best in OMM out of the top few really depends on they type of techniqes you are taught. Each school has its own strength. A lot of the techniques taught at KCOM deal with Muscle Energy, Indirect, HVLA and Counterstrain. Myofacial release and Still Techniqe are not havily stressed in our currilulm

One good thing about KCOM is that we have 8 DOs who specalize in OMM on our faculty. Each one of them has their own style that they prefer to use in their practice. The great part is that every one of them is willing to come down and work with students on a small group basis and teach you about the type of techniques they like to use. WE also have 4 fellows and around 4 residents who can bring in fresh perspectives on techniqes and approaches to patient care as well.

As far as who is the best. Obviously I would say KCOM!!!

------------------
    Carrie
    MSII KCOM

8. ebola95

ebola95 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 28, 1999
    Downers Grove, Illinois
    every school has its strong points and weak points when it comes to OMM...don't let anyone tell you that one school is better then another...

every school tries to get one or two big OMM names at the school...they tend to be the directors of the programs and usually whatever techniques they like to do is what you'll end up spending a lot of time doing....

just for example....CCOM has Dr. Robbert Kapler...."Kap" loves his HVLA and muscle energy techniques....so we learn all the techniques, but i would have to say that we spend the most time practicing these ones since they tend to be more emphasised during our practicals....however, MSUCOM has teneded to focus a lot of counterstrain because of Dr. Fred Mitchell's influenece....they are still going to learn HVLA and muscle energy, but i have been told my an MSII that they get more infor on muscle energy....

what's the point? find a school that you like and go to it! Learning techniques (OMM, venipuncture, true skinning on a cadaver, ANY skill for that matter) doesn't matter where you go....it all depends on you and how much time and effort that you put into learning the skills....every school has the faculty who are knowledgable and more then willing to teach you anything you need...IF YOU ARE WILLING TO PUT IN THE TIME AND NOT BLOW OFF LABS!

good luck!

9. Freeeedom!

Freeeedom! Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 21, 2001
    I am a ninja
    I agree with EBOLA, I mean, how do you objectively measure "the best at OMM?". Perhaps research? Whatever.
    Perhaps board scores?
    I mean really...its like saying, "Who has the best Administration" dude, they all suck. EVERYONE bitches about their respective OMM course once they reach 3rd and 4th year...regardless of school. EVERYONE!

10. Mayqswet

Mayqswet Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 9, 1999
    AZCOM
    You get out of it what you put into it. Get a group of fellow students together and practice on Sat mornings. Join the UAAO at your school, stay after on OMM lab days. You'll learn as much as you want.

[This message has been edited by Mayqswet (edited April 22, 2001).]