General Admissions & OTCAS Best online self-paced conceptual physics, med term

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lauren5621

Reaction score
Has anyone taken an online, self-paced Physics or medical terminology? I need these by May 9, so I need some that I can take online. I looked at UC Berkeley extension, anyone have a better option?

Members don't see this ad.

So.... I did both.

I took med terminology through UCSD extension and one of my schools wouldn’t accept the credit so I took it again through BYU and loved it! It was accepted and I feel like I learned more.

In my particular situation, the med terminology prerequisite was optional the year before I applied, so I took the UCSD extension class even though it was only a quarter credit and then the preReq became required as a semester credit so just watch out for that. I know BYU was a semester class. It’s online and then you go to a testing center for your two tests.

As for physics, I took it online through UNE, they have a physics for health professions and it was 100% online.

Members don't see this ad :)
So.... I did both.

I took med terminology through UCSD extension and one of my schools wouldn’t accept the credit so I took it again through BYU and loved it! It was accepted and I feel like I learned more.

In my particular situation, the med terminology prerequisite was optional the year before I applied, so I took the UCSD extension class even though it was only a quarter credit and then the preReq became required as a semester credit so just watch out for that. I know BYU was a semester class. It’s online and then you go to a testing center for your two tests.

As for physics, I took it online through UNE, they have a physics for health professions and it was 100% online.

Thank you so much!

Has anyone taken an online, self-paced Physics or medical terminology? I need these by May 9, so I need some that I can take online. I looked at UC Berkeley extension, anyone have a better option?

If you need flexibility in completing the requirement by May 9, I would recommend a spring 2019 second session course. To the best of my knowledge, there are only three institutions that offer this flexibility for a physics class. The physics classes are self-paced.

It seems Physics usually requires Pre-Calc. Does the UNE Physics have any pre-reqs and if not, how difficult was it in regards to use of algebra/calc/trig?

It looks like you got accepted to OT program with that? Did the school you got into requires Physics as a pre-req?
The school stated "conceptual physics" and were cool with it :) I emailed them ahead of time to confirm.

Reactions: 1 user
It seems Physics usually requires Pre-Calc. Does the UNE Physics have any pre-reqs and if not, how difficult was it in regards to use of algebra/calc/trig?

Not necessarily. Not all topics in pre-calc are needed for physics (algebra/trig based). For example, synthetic division is taught in pre-calc but we don't use it in physics. I routinely waive the pre-calc requirement for students who want to enroll in the physics courses.

The school stated "conceptual physics" and were cool with it :) I emailed them ahead of time to confirm.

Sometimes conceptual physics is actually harder than regular physics since the student really needs to understand the concept/phenomena as opposed to just relying on math formulas.

If you need flexibility in completing the requirement by May 9, I would recommend a spring 2019 second session course. To the best of my knowledge, there are only three institutions that offer this flexibility for a physics class. The physics classes are self-paced.
What are the three institutions other than Berkeley