Best or Worst/Crazy/Funny/Naive Advice Received from a Premed Advisor...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedMissteps

The Great West Coast
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Best or Worst/Crazy/Funny/Naive Advice from a Premed Advisor...

What is the best, worst, naive, etc, advice you've heard from a premed advisor...

I'll go first...

Naive: the director of the prehealth office and her minions were telling premeds to "not submit until your app is perfect" without any mention of the downfall of submitting in Aug, Sept or Oct. A friend took that advice to heart and didn't submit until Sept after polishing and polishing his app to assured perfection. In the end, he got no II's even though he had awesome stats. Sadly, friend was so determined to go to med school that he went to some Caribbean school. :(

Sure, no one should submit an inferior app, but since there was no warning about late submissions, this student thought he had all the time in the world. If he had been properly warned, he would have finished polishing his app in June, or July at the latest.

Members don't see this ad.

My advisor told the first class that was taking the new mcat that a 500 was all you needed to get accepted (because it was going to be the average on the new test). Obviously this wasn't true and screwed a ton of people that didn't do their own research. Honestly though if someone isn't dedicated enough to this process to look things up and educate themselves on it then I don't feel bad at all if they screw up their chances.

Reactions: 2 users
That if I sent the school all my app info (PS/activities/etc), that they would submit everything for me. Good thing I did my own research!

Members don't see this ad :)
"Go ahead and apply to 55 schools"

Reactions: 16 users
If the pre-health advisors' advice is squirrelly who should we take it from? My parents wouldn't buy it if I said, "Oh my health advisor is wrong according to random people on the internet who claim to know better".

My advisor told the first class that was taking the new mcat that a 500 was all you needed to get accepted (because it was going to be the average on the new test). Obviously this wasn't true and screwed a ton of people that didn't do their own research. Honestly though if someone isn't dedicated enough to this process to look things up and educate themselves on it then I don't feel bad at all if they screw up their chances.
TBF, that was the point of changing the scoring.

Reactions: 1 user
If the pre-health advisors' advice is squirrelly who should we take it from? My parents wouldn't buy it if I said, "Oh my health advisor is wrong according to random people on the internet who claim to know better".

If your parents place more importance on what a premed advisor says, why would you tell your parents what the advisor says to you?

Call me crazy but maybe you could look it up in MSAR or on the med school websites or perhaps the many instructions, web pages, videos that AAMC AMCAS has on their site?
Yes but my folks will always put human interaction/advice above anything on the internet being Generation X and all.

Yes but my folks will always put human interaction/advice above anything on the internet being Generation X and all.

Just tell them what you read online is what your premed advisor said. Problem solved.

Reactions: 3 users
That a non-science major was a great idea for me.

(That was a generalization that ignored who I am and where I came from. I am was a first-generation, well unadopted foster kid, who was better at science than non-science. A science major would have provided me with advisers that were better suited for a pre-med, better research opportunities, and a better GPA since I'm better at science than non-science and it shows on every standardized test and transcript I have. I enjoyed my non-science majors, but it wasn't the wisest advice. The adviser justified her conclusion with the idea that it would add diversity to my application, but in my case diversity wasn't the most important aspect.)

Members don't see this ad :)
"The deadline for primary and secondary apps is just a formality, it doesn't really matter when you turn it all in, as long as it's in before the deadline." :bullcrap:

I was told my clinical experience as an MA wasn't as valuable and eye-catching as my classmate's medical tourism trip to Guatemala.

Reactions: 6 users
"You are not competitive for medical school, have you thought of other options?"

I never went back to that office again - until I needed a committee letter. Never saw that advisor again, they were in charge of the health professions office though.

Headed to medical school this July, incoming MS-1. I sure showed them ;)

Reactions: 16 users
"You are not competitive for medical school, have you thought of other options?"

I never went back to that office again - until I needed a committee letter. Never saw that advisor again, they were in charge of the health professions office though.

Headed to medical school this July, incoming MS-1. I sure showed them ;)
That reminds me, I need to send an "I told you so" email...

"Have you looked at other career options?" Says my pre-med advisor at my first appointment during freshman year lol

"Have you looked at other career options?" Says my pre-med advisor at my first appointment during freshman year lol

Seems like a valid thing to say to anyone in their freshman year.

Reactions: 4 users
That I shouldn't study abroad in the summer because it wouldn't help me get into medical school and I should focus on volunteering or shadowing instead. Studying abroad ended up being one of my most meaningful experiences.

Had an advisor that helped a student make a school list that had MCAT averages all over 511 and they had a sub 500 mcat. Needless to say, they're still not in med school.

A student of mine applied to a post-bacc pre-med program and received an email back saying something like, "no medical school would consider a candidate with your GPA." His GPA was a 3.2 out of 4.0 and he was a disadvantaged URM. He had yet to do post-bacc work. I think it's obvious that if he did very well in a post-bacc program, he might get in somewhere.

Naive: the director of the prehealth office and her minions were telling premeds to "not submit until your app is perfect" without any mention of the downfall of submitting in Aug, Sept or Oct. A friend took that advice to heart and didn't submit until Sept after polishing and polishing his app to assured perfection. In the end, he got no II's even though he had awesome stats. Sadly, friend was so determined to go to med school that he went to some Caribbean school. :(
Pretty sure complete by Labor Day is still completely "normal" in real-world timelines, just not SDN. In fact, I added several schools in mid-Sept. and did fine at them (sure, I did have good stats but so does the example you cite). No II's indicates some sort of application deficit (eg. EC's), not being too late in Sept.

Pretty sure complete by Labor Day is still completely "normal" in real-world timelines, just not SDN. In fact, I added several schools in mid-Sept. and did fine at them (sure, I did have good stats but so does the example you cite). No II's indicates some sort of application deficit (eg. EC's), not being too late in Sept.

This was a Texas applicant and I think the Texas TMDSAS is one month earlier than AMCAS. On the website they mention the importance of applying early.

And the student did not have Stanford worthy stats! Lol

Submitting to AMCAS in September (to await verification) is NOT normal. Not sure about Texas but if their deadlines are a month earlier, all the worse.

Submitting to AMCAS in September (to await verification) is NOT normal. Not sure about Texas but if their deadlines are a month earlier, all the worse.
I agree, only popped in to say that being verified by around Labor Day seems to be okay (at least that's the general sentiment I've gotten in past years on SDN, I was submitted and verified much earlier).

I do see that submitting for the first time in September for a 1-2 week verification is too late, yes.

Also as I mention in another thread I just realized that the places I added in September were all significantly below my stats, so perhaps that has biased my experience as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Who gives a **** about what someone unrelated tells you about your education?

I don't know if it's the worst, but my advisor was obviously not well informed. She told me to talk to HR department of hospital to look for doctor shadowing. Clearly none of hospitals said yes.

"As long as you get a 500 or above on the MCAT you'll be fine"

I am, at best, slightly above average with my ECs and GPA. A 500 would not have been fine.

"As long as you get a 500 or above on the MCAT you'll be fine"

I am, at best, slightly above average with my ECs and GPA. A 500 would not have been fine.
maybe they were talking about MD and DO; many state MD schools do dip down to the low 500's

ECU in north carolina has an median accepted MCAT of a 506; that means half of all acceptances scored lower

"You won't get into med school this year if you apply this cycle."

Already accepted for this fall :clap:

A student of mine applied to a post-bacc pre-med program and received an email back saying something like, "no medical school would consider a candidate with your GPA." His GPA was a 3.2 out of 4.0 and he was a disadvantaged URM. He had yet to do post-bacc work. I think it's obvious that if he did very well in a post-bacc program, he might get in somewhere.

Not even. Got into my top choice Med school with around that gpa and no post back work

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Not even. Got into my top choice Med school with around that gpa and no post back work

I think the person who said that was use to an older system. It seems that medical schools are becoming more and more holistic.

Mine literally told me to do a quad Art History/Chem/Bio/Psych major with minors in Spanish, Econ, and Painting I literally would be in undergrad forever

"We urge you not to apply this year. We don't feel that you are a competitive applicant and we don't know if any medical schools will be interested in you."

9 IIs, going to a top 10.

Had to be trolling you.

I'm pretty sure she was dead serious. I asked her for her thoughts about me declaring a second major as a back up since art history alone isn't the most practical major. I already have a minor in Spanish and almost one in Economics. I mentioned doing Chem because it would give me more science classes and I could always do restoration/conservation work and research with a museum if for some reason I didn't go to med school. I briefly mentioned that I liked my intro psych class and might take a couple extra psych classes if I had room. She then was like "Well, if you want to add Chem you might as well add Bio since there's some overlap and I think adding Psych would be great! There's not as much overlap, but you could just go a few extra semesters." I was like ummm I'll think about it lol

Reactions: 1 users