Feb 28, 2010
Status
Psychology Student
Hey all,
So I've started to get interview invites...exciting! I'm interviewing at UCCs. It seems many of them do interviews for a whole week, and they can be scheduled in the morning or afternoon. I'll be interviewing with multiple faculty.

I'm wondering if you all had any feedback about when to interview in terms of Monday-Friday, or time of day (morning or afternoon).

Obviously, this assumes I have flexibility to choose a time. I know this might seem silly, but I could imagine the first or last interviewer (of the day, or in general) might do better or worse simply because of the time of day/order. For example, if you go last, they may have already decided on someone else...or they could remember you best!

Any feedback or thoughts would be helpful.

PhDMiss2014

Pre-Doctoral Intern
Nov 12, 2012
Status
Psychology Student
There are going to be pros and cons about every day and interview time. The most important thing is not to worry about the interview time and do your very best within the interview time allotted. Last year I went back and forth with myself trying to decide what the best interview time/day would be. One site didn't give me much choice, most slots were already filled by the time I got back to them with my day and time (darn practicum got in the way of a speedy response). So I ended up with a Friday interview. The other site I had convinced myself that the first interview day, a Monday, would be best and scheduled my interview accordingly. I don't think it made much difference honestly. However, I will note that of the 8 interns my site took last year, 5 interviewed with me on day 1.

cara susanna

10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2008
Midwest
Status
Psychologist
I'm currently booking my flights for my own interviews (not UCC) and finding that it's hard to find a flight out the same day. Therefore, if I had a choice I'd book the morning so I could catch an afternoon/evening flight. Unless of course you're flying from city to city, then it might be different.

Aug 7, 2013
I'm currently booking my flights for my own interviews (not UCC) and finding that it's hard to find a flight out the same day. Therefore, if I had a choice I'd book the morning so I could catch an afternoon/evening flight. Unless of course you're flying from city to city, then it might be different.
I agree. Also, given the likelihood of flight delays in winter, I would try to avoid flying to the interview the same day. When possible, I plan to fly to the interview site the day before, settle down in a hotel, start up the next morning fresh and grounded, and then fly back in the evening after the interview.