Best Orgo book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mojo

What was a good one? (Textbook)

Members don't see this ad.

I used Organic Chemistry structure and function by Vollhardt and Schore 3rd ed. We also had Organic Nomenclature by Traynhum. I used a book in the library that the prof referred to often for additional problems. Intro. to Org Chem 4th ed. Streitwieser and Heathcock Have fun in Organic Chem. Remember in lab, Dance when you get crystals.

MORRISON & BOYD.

Members don't see this ad :)
I liked Organic Chemistry 4th edition by
L.G. Wade, Jr.
The explanations were clear and the book was easy to understand.

I'm with LisaP on this one.... Definitely VOLLHARDT AND SHORE!!!

Anything BUT Fessenden & Fessenden!

I really liked Francis Carey's organic textbook. Another great textbook is from McMurray.

i'm with together (there's a pun in there somewhere)... morrison and boyd, a classic. i'll tell you one to avoid which is ege. terrible...

My Org book was by Solomons. I recommend it because it presented the info in a clean, simple manner. It was easy to read and made studying fun.

Definitely MORRISON & BOYD. This books simplifies all the nomenclature and clearly gets to the point.

One drawback is that there aren't many examples to illustrate the reactions. It's still an excellent book (for Chem lovers and Chem haters).

L. G. Wade gets my vote. Besides, the book is so big and heavy you can also use it as a lethal weapon if necessary.

I already have Morrison and Boyd, it was given to me by a friend who took orgo. I didn't know how good it was! I'll check them all out when I get over to Barnes and Nobles. McMurry looked like a good one too (the one used at Cornell), has anyone used it?

mcmurry is not bad make sure you have the right edition though.

I had McMurry....and thought it was AWFUL!! Thank God for the Kaplan MCAT review books...I would have never fully understood orgo without them.....

If others liked McMurry...God Bless 'em...

Originally posted by yosh:
•I had McMurry....and thought it was AWFUL!! Thank God for the Kaplan MCAT review books...I would have never fully understood orgo without them.....

If others liked McMurry...God Bless 'em...•

Thanks for the info. I'll see as the year progresses which one is good.

Since there doesn't seem to be a consensus agreement on which textbook is best, I suggest following the advice of friends or classmates who have already taken the course.

Check out a little book called 'Pushing Electrons' by Daniel P. Weeks. It helped me a ton. I didn't like McMurry much either...

-J

I'll add a third vote for Wade. It is pretty well written, but some of the chapters seem out of place. It didn't seem to place enough emphasis on the "electron motion" concept that so many people find helpful. Even with all that, I liked the book fairly well.

(How much could a sane person actually like an organic chem book?)