Best Orthodontic Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What Orthodontic Programs have the best repuation? And why?

Members don't see this ad.

As far as better programs some things people take into consideration are:
Number of full time faculty
Quality of Research- awards, number of publications
Tradition/History- Drs. that have written textbooks
Facility- new technology, clinic availability

Also things to consider about programs:
Number of patients (diversity of patients)
Cost of attending/Funding available for the program
Methods taught (variety vs. one method)
Clinic time vs in class/teaching/researching
Opportunities to meet/network in the orthodontic community...

when I was applying these are a few things that I thought about--any other suggestions from anyone??

Different programs have different reputations, and as you know, reputations are not always true. Some programs have good clinical reputations, others have heavy research reputations. Some programs have "huge" names associated with them and therefore have better reputations. UNC - Proffit, Mich - McNamara, UWash - Kokich and others (too many to list)... That being said, I'm not convinced that the reputation really matters outside of the ortho community so I'm gonna agree that the program with the best reputation is the one you get into. Generally the most competitive programs to get into are the shortest with stipends, it says nothing about the quality of education (I'm not saying that they aren't good, just that they are tough to get into). When you've been out in practice for 10 years and little Jessica comes to your office for braces, she and her parents won't care/ask where you went to school, it's irrelevant. Be happy if you get in anywhere.