Best overall book or books.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patrick1674

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there general thought at to what the best MCAT prep/review book or books are?

Members don't see this ad.

Biology: 1. EK Bio (for content) + BR Bio (for passages and further topic depth if needed) 2. TPR Hyperlearning, detail oriented 3. Kaplan

Physics
: 1. BR 2. Nova 3. TPR Hyperlearning 4. EK/Kaplan

Verbal: 1. EK Verbal + EK 101 Verbal 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. BR 4. Kaplan (Avoid if possible)

Organic Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

General Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

Extra Practice Material: 1. TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook + TPR Hyperlearing Science Workbook, good source of practice passages 1. AAMC Official Guide to the MCAT Exam (most representative material available) 2. EK 1001 series, helps nail down basics

What is it that makes BR so much better than the others for ochem/gchem?

Also, best book I've read in awhile was Dune, by Frank Herbert.

What is it that makes BR so much better than the others for ochem/gchem?

Also, best book I've read in awhile was Dune, by Frank Herbert.

people like them because they are highly conceptual and explain everything in depth, and they have the hardest passages.

With all that said, it takes about two-three times as long to use their prep. So with that said, I have mixed feelings.

Members don't see this ad :)
people like them because they are highly conceptual and explain everything in depth, and they have the hardest passages.

I'm not sure about the hardest passages, but certainly the most passages of any books on the market. I tend to think the popularity stems from the highly detailed answer explanations that cover the concepts and test strategies. I also think that their chemistry books have a tendency to incorporate a good deal of physics and biology, and help you to integrate multiple concepts.

You are right that they take a good deal of time to work through, but by the time you finish the general chemistry books, you not only know general chemistry quite well, but you have reviewed some renal physiology, some organic chemistry, some fluids and solids, some electric circuits, some magnetism, some biochemistry, etc...

Personally, I like the thorough approach and the mixing of so many topics. But I'm biased.

Any other books that you guys could recommend?

If they aren't on that list, they aren't worth even looking at. Besides, you're far better off buying preferably one, maybe two, books per subject. Actually, I wouldn't even buy two books except for Bio for the passages. If you need to supplement your content review material, it'd be better and cheaper (i.e. free) to use online resources.

Last edited:
for verbal

TPR hyperlearning - is Verbal Reasoning and Writing Review OR verbal workbook better?

anyone?