Best Party School... bc SDN has turned angry and needs a fun thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tjdent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The has been way to much tension on SDN recently, so what do we do when people are stressed? Its party time! Or at least its talk about partying time...

I gotta think NYU and USC are near the top of this list.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have to ask dental students themselves. IMO

I think that there is not much time for partying in Dental School. Maybe one night a week but youre busy all day and gotta study at night and when you finish all that youre exhausted. There just isnt much time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that there is not much time for partying in Dental School. Maybe one night a week but youre busy all day and gotta study at night and when you finish all that youre exhausted. There just isnt much time.

Well Stony is last on the party list.... unless you like friday nights at applebees.

1 night a week is good enough.. i've heard from many dental students that they work hard but also "play hard".. I'd say any schools that are located in big cities would be good party schools

geez i think you guys make it sound worse than it its. the student that gave my tour at NYU had gone out hard the night before, which was a wednesday. Also, the students that talked to us at Columbia and BU said they def make time to have lives and go out a couple times a week, depending on exams.

Well Stony is last on the party list.... unless you like friday nights at applebees.

LOL, I wasnt going there for the party life, I was going more for the great education/cheap price/nice place combo.

UF is a huge party school, but I don't know about how the dental students are...

Thanks for this thread. It is a welcome relief to the my school is better than yours threads. Though I don't have any formal knowledge as to the best party school, I know I will make time to let loose in SF while I am in school!

Every one of my friends in dental school says it doesn't matter how hard your school work is, it seems that usually on Fridays and after a big exam everybody goes out and drinks like they're a freshmen having their first shot. At any school there will be gunners who say there isn't time to drink but they're usually wound up too tight anyway so a drink may just push them over the edge. I'm picking my school based on the people and the clinical program. Because without fun people I'm pretty sure I'd want to jump off the tall part of the dental chair after a couple of months.:D

Any dental school is a good party school. Im the work hard, party hard type and i can you tell you there is always time for a good time. If there isnt time, make time or else you will go nuts. You will be surprised how much fun you can have with your class. Oh ya, Minneapolis/St. Paul is pretty good time. Cheers.

In a related note, I prefer schools not associated with large undergrad universities with sports teams.

UF might be a crazy party school, but I can just imagine being in a bar with your dental friends.. seeing this hot Floridian girl you would like to take home.. she seems interested.. Dental School seems cool to her.. then BAM.. Tim Tebow walks in. Night over.

In a related note, I prefer schools not associated with large undergrad universities with sports teams.

UF might be a crazy party school, but I can just imagine being in a bar with your dental friends.. seeing this hot Floridian girl you would like to take home.. she seems interested.. Dental School seems cool to her.. then BAM.. Tim Tebow walks in. Night over.

Don't worry Tim Tebow doesn't party or drink ;) Now back when we had Chris Leak that was a legitimate problem

Members don't see this ad :)
From the dental students I have talked with ranging from D1 to residents, it seems that most like to go out and unwind with classmates after big exams, which sounds reasonable. And I agree with what Mr. Hawkeye mentioned...........it is important to get along and interact with classmates, otherwise it's going to be a long 4yrs.

Klutzy it sounds to me like you need to relax a bit. I'm hoping that you are not as socially award as it sounds like you are...

Nova because it's the spring break capital!

As a person who chooses not to drink, I am beginning to think I'm going to be a minority in d-school.

One of the dentists I work with who went to NYU said she partied hardcore through most of it. It wasn't until she realized she wanted to do an endo residency and that grades mattered that she stopped partying. She never got into an endo residency because she couldn't compensate for years of slacking off.

A dentist I shadowed who went to NJDS said they had parties with the med students every weekend, and the faculty would go too. He survived his four years despite heavy partying, but he only needed to pass because he didn't want to specialize. (He graduated in the '80s, btw.)

It's entirely possible to have fun without drinking. Just sayin'. Some things are more important, like my future and not risking screwing it up. Gonna get flamed for my disagreement with the majority I bet. :cool:

As a person who chooses not to drink, I am beginning to think I'm going to be a minority in d-school.

One of the dentists I work with who went to NYU said she partied hardcore through most of it. It wasn't until she realized she wanted to do an endo residency and that grades mattered that she stopped partying. She never got into an endo residency because she couldn't compensate for years of slacking off.

A dentist I shadowed who went to NJDS said they had parties with the med students every weekend, and the faculty would go too. He survived his four years despite heavy partying, but he only needed to pass because he didn't want to specialize. (He graduated in the '80s, btw.)

It's entirely possible to have fun without drinking. Just sayin'. Some things are more important, like my future and not risking screwing it up. Gonna get flamed for my disagreement with the majority I bet. :cool:

rew- no one is judging people who choose not to drink, that is completely their choice. However, there is a big difference between partying every day, every week and what most of us will actually be doing in dental school. Going out for drinks after a big test or to relieve some stress can be a pretty good time. It doesn't mean that we're all going to be forfeiting our futures.

I'm not flaming you and completely agree that it's possible to have fun without drinking and whichever school you choose I'm sure will have people who think along the same lines as you do.

ps. i lean towards favoring schools associated with sports programs! Another way to let off steam, and i'm not worried about competing with the football team for girls, since I'll be married next November!

Is it really necessary to rain on EVERYONE's parade? Put the insecurity-driven pride away every once in a while... :thumbdown:

id say a school where the undergrad has a good reputation as a party school ie ohio state, michigan.. or in a sweet city: nyu.

not to dog any schools but definately not llu, temple, buffalo from my personal experiences, i could be wrong (although buff is close to toronto- fun place)

as for the gospel choir that shames partying, lighten up. its good to go out and have fun during the next couple years - but not as much as undergrad thats for sure.

I'm in the same boat as you!

I wouldn't mind going out with the classmates if it's going to be more than just drinking. I don't drink and think there are a lot more fun things to do than getting wasted! Haha

I am sure there will be others that feel the same way and would like to do other things for fun.

id say a school where the undergrad has a good reputation as a party school ie ohio state, michigan.. or in a sweet city: nyu.

not to dog any schools but definately not llu, temple, buffalo from my personal experiences, i could be wrong (although buff is close to toronto- fun place)

as for the gospel choir that shames partying, lighten up. its good to go out and have fun during the next couple years - but not as much as undergrad thats for sure.

I recently visited a close friend who is a D1 at Temple. Ended up going out with her abd her classmates on a Friday, and wow...they sure knew how to have a good time!!

I recently visited a close friend who is a D1 at Temple. Ended up going out with her abd her classmates on a Friday, and wow...they sure knew how to have a good time!!

im sure there are good parts of phili, but hearing the horror stories by the students and seeing the homeless man curled up in front of my radisson window did little to draw me to temple.

on an off-topic note: always sunny in philedelphia is gold.

I'm in the same boat as you!

I wouldn't mind going out with the classmates if it's going to be more than just drinking. I don't drink and think there are a lot more fun things to do than getting wasted! Haha

I am sure there will be others that feel the same way and would like to do other things for fun.

totally agree with AFdentgirl and rewJW!

i keep hearing that getting into dental school is the hardest part. once you are in, they do everything to keep you in...at llu at least...

im sure there are good parts of phili, but hearing the horror stories by the students and seeing the homeless man curled up in front of my radisson window did little to draw me to temple.

yeah... I've never seen so many homeless people in my life than in Filthadelphia... Philly wins the award for most numerous, but San Francisco takes the cake for smelliest homeless people...

these cities should do something about this. shelters? soup kitchens? c'mon mayors, clean up the streets...

but yeah, returning to the topic, the kids from The Real World found a way to have a great time in Philly so it's definitely out there for you to find. South Street is happening.

im gonna venture a little that you gotta have a crazy work ethic to have a gpa over 4

im gonna venture a little that you gotta have a crazy work ethic to have a gpa over 4

LOL nah i just figured out ways to make it alot easier to do well.:laugh:

Klutzy it sounds to me like you need to relax a bit. I'm hoping that you are not as socially award as it sounds like you are...

Dude have you been on interviews, have you spoken to the students. In all schools the students said that they spent most of their free time studying. I was never in dental school so I cant say for cetain but all I am saying is that from what I hear from dental students, it seems as if they dont have much free personal time. Could be I'm wrong?

Dude have you been on interviews, have you spoken to the students. In all schools the students said that they spent most of their free time studying. I was never in dental school so I cant say for cetain but all I am saying is that from what I hear from dental students, it seems as if they dont have much free personal time. Could be I'm wrong?

Klutzy- I see you interviewed at Columbia, and am wondering who you talked to?! Every student I talked to and asked about a social life said they almost always went out at least once a week.
After talking with my friends at Iowa dental school, who go out occasionally as well, I would hardly say that you don't have time to go out. Obviously you are going to have to work hard, and you won't be able to go out every day of the week or even every week most of the time; however, it's not like we're all going to be hermits for the next four years!

Klutzy- I see you interviewed at Columbia, and am wondering who you talked to?! Every student I talked to and asked about a social life said they almost always went out at least once a week.
After talking with my friends at Iowa dental school, who go out occasionally as well, I would hardly say that you don't have time to go out. Obviously you are going to have to work hard, and you won't be able to go out every day of the week or even every week most of the time; however, it's not like we're all going to be hermits for the next four years!

Read my post, I said you can go out one night a week, more than that though most students said that theydidnt have time.

Read my post, I said you can go out one night a week, more than that though most students said that theydidnt have time.

My bad- I only read your most recent posts and responded to them. Just dont' want people to forget to enjoy their lives!