"Best" Pathology Program Poll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which is the best northeast pathology program?

• Beth Israel Deaconess

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Brigham

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • MGH

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Penn

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Johns Hopkins

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • Cornell

• Columbia

• Yale

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Pittsburgh

• UVM

• Total voters

Mindy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just for the heck of it! Choose which one you like best:

Members don't see this ad.

I was going to repeat this for each region... but I really am only familiar with the northeast. Someone else want to post one for another region?

Mindy

Not many opinions, ehh? Wanted to see if we could get an idea of what programs will be most competitive over the next few years, so that our more junior path-wannabes can see the trend. (Too late for us 4th years!)

Mindy

Members don't see this ad :)
Wannabee's....

By the way, will you eventually let us know where you're going? Ummm, that sounded rather "stalkerOID" but you know what I mean.

Good luck

PS West Coast Rules! ;)

Ahh, reminds me of my college days of the battle of "eastie girls" vs. "westie girls" defined by which point of the compass your tupelo fell on... don't ask!

BTW, of course I'll reveal where I match at! (you?)

Mindy

Actually I can't decide if it reminds me of a medical version of "Swingers" (the movie of course) or a bad medical version of Tupac vs. Big E

Alright, I digressed. I will most definitely reveal mine, only if you wait the 1 year to hear it. I'm matching next year, since they have this silly rule that I must finish 4th year.

Good luck

GD

Best pathology programs in the Northeast, and you didn't include Dartmouth?! :)
Seriously, I've been told it's a great program, despite the relative lack of recognition. I would definitely rank it above UVM and Cornell, for example (and probably Columbia too, especially given rumors of their financial problems).

Howdy Ludy!

I cannot agree more with you. I LOVED Dartmouth! I was limited by the 10 items rule on the poll. I actually know nothing about the NYC programs, but felt the need to add them to attempt to round out the northeast. (or maybe its my sneaky way of hoping nobody finds out about the gem at the base of Mount Cardigan!)

So, my tribute to Dartmouth in a nutshell: Beautiful hospital, nice laboratory layout, short days (compared to the urban zoos), very very rural environment (almost too much for me), cool program director. Only place I interviewed at that had pictures of huge mountains (Denali, Kilamanjaro) in every office. And definitely the only place where I was consistently introduced to my next interviewer as "This is Mindy. She hikes." My dream would be to be an attending at Dartmouth... (ahhh....)

Mindy

Man, you guys are making me regret not interviewing at Dartmouth...I had no idea. I have heard U. of Vermont is a solid program too.

Hey Ludy,
What didn't you like about Cornell? I am curious because I ranked them #1. And, what's the rumor regarding Columbia? I ranked them pretty high too. I am not from the east coast and I feel like I am out fo the loop about some of the nitty-gritty regarding the programs out there.

I'm only an MS3, so I'm sure you have a much better handle on the programs than I do, having visited them yourself. The main reason I probably won't apply to either is the location - I can't see myself living in NYC, particularly not the area around Columbia:) However, the path PD at my school also told me that Columbia (the hospital as a whole, not the path program) is having a lot of financial problems, which I guess isn't surprising, given the population it serves.
As for Cornell, I haven't heard anything bad about it, but they seemed to have a relatively small volume - the 2003-2004 Path Training Programs book says 125 autopsies/yr - which is pretty small compared to most other programs in decent-sized cities. They also seemed to have a lot of IMGs, but I guess that's typical for many path programs, especially those in bigger cities. I have heard good things about the research there, and they have a lot of teaching conferences, which is going to be one of the main things I'm looking for when I interview next year. If you like NYC, I think it would be a great place to go.