Best PEDO residency for IV sedation. surgical extractions...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Concepcion10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in a PEDO residency that will train me in IV sedation and provide extensive surgical training. Does this exist?

I know the scope of a pedo practice is generally very "volume oriented." However, I am wanting to be able to manage all extractions and if the opportunity presents itself, handle third molars too.

Does anybody do this or know of any Pedos keeping their thirds in house?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I highly doubt there are many programs looking to teach their pedo resident's to remove impacted 3rds.

I feel like most oral surgeons get disgruntled at the thought of the Periodontist's doing 3rds, but Pediatric Dentists? I look forward to what the OMFS gods have to say.

I am interested in a PEDO residency that will train me in IV sedation and provide extensive surgical training. Does this exist?

I know the scope of a pedo practice is generally very "volume oriented." However, I am wanting to be able to manage all extractions and if the opportunity presents itself, handle third molars too.

Thanks

Your best choice is probably to do PEDO at the OMFS residency at Parkland.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is that I would be able to do PEDO at Dr. Tiwana's program? Are you meaning to do into OMFS and then do a fellowship in craniofacial?

Thanks

Being completely honest, I see two options for you.

1. Do an OMFS residency.
2. Don't do complicated extractions because it will not be as productive as seeing 20 recalls and 6 operatives in the same time period.

It really does not make much sense to keep that stuff in-house. You will be more productive being a pediatric dentist and not a jack of all trades. The OMFS guys in town probably won't like you too much either.

To answer your other question, I'm not sure there is a program that has extensive training in extractions. Additionally, few programs do IV sedations (Baylor and UCLA are the only two I can think of) on a regular basis.

Hope this helps.

How is that I would be able to do PEDO at Dr. Tiwana's program? Are you meaning to do into OMFS and then do a fellowship in craniofacial?

I apologize - I thought my sarcasm was apparent. Surgical extraction of 3rds and IV sedation are typical cornerstones of OMFS. Oral sedation and comprehensive treatment in the OR are hallmarks of pediatric dentistry. How often due pediatric dentists take out 3rds at all? By the time they're in the picture, the patient is often better served by seeing a general dentist.

How about doing a 1 year GPR that does a lot of extractions (or 1 year OS internship) and then do a pediatric residency?

These are all very good suggestions and insights. I appreciate the help! As you can tell I am in the process of deciding between OMS and Pedo. The involvement in the OR, additional training in anesthesia, involvement with craniofacial/developmental defects...etc.

I am trying to get a better pulse for what type of "OMS" or "Pedo" I could be. What options are are there.... I am leaning towards Pedo but still would like to be able to handle complicated extractions while remaining profitable.

I understand as a Pedo it would seem more profitable to see recalls and operative patients rather than doing thirds. But I would really enjoy doing both.

Any other comments?

Thanks again!

How about doing a 1 year GPR that does a lot of extractions (or 1 year OS internship) and then do a pediatric residency?

Honestly for what the OP said, this may be the only advice that works

The right GPR will give you tons of impacted thirds if you want them...A good GPR can also give you more OR time than some Pedo residencies that aren't heavy in the OR

I think once you get a little bit more experience you'll see that doing Pedo and Thirds isn't the most efficient set up...but it could in theory be done

If you're really just a pre-dent my guess is that you'll have some changes in opinions on what you like and what you can do feasibly after dental school

Couldn't agree more.

The GPR, then doing Peds residency is a good route to take if you are looking to be proficient in 3rds and IV sedation. I did a GPR that gave me lots of experience extracting thirds, and I also worked hard to get my IV sedation certification in that year as well. I am now doing a pedo residency. However, I agree with previous posts that there is enough to do in peds as it is without having to do thirds!

The answer is: do an OMFS residency...and yes at Parkland if you want to be among the Greats