Best Pedo Residencys

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoingToDS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In terms of prestige, what are the best pedo programs? I've heard the "whatever program you get into" line...or "cost". But throw that out the window..Is it Harvard? UCLA?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't even know how to answer this. I'm partly laughing and partly dumbfounded. There is literally no such thing as a prestigious pedo program. Prestigious things only exist when there is a group of people that care about it. Pedo is exactly the opposite of that as a community. NOBODY cares.

What would make the program prestigious? Location? Cost? Income that graduates make? I mean, seriously, tell me the imagined criteria for your make-believe prestigious program.

Fair enough GavinC. I am asking in terms of education and then looking at factors like how the program is respected by colleagues.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fair enough GavinC. I am asking in terms of education and then looking at factors like how the program is respected by colleagues.

On a broad basis, programs that pay their residents are generally more respected than ones where the residents have to pay. That is directly related to the concept that better residents will be able to match to a program that pays them, rather than having to pay upwards of $50k/year to attend pedo.

There is undoubtedly some truth to that concept, but not always.

If you wanted to work for me as an associate, I would need to know that you graduated from an accredited pedo program, but the most important factors to me would be your work ethic, your speed, and your rapport with the patients and parents. Whether your went to the east coast, west coast, did lots of hospital training, or had to pay for your residency wouldn't really be on my radar.

Having said all of that, I've never met a colleague who voiced a greater amount of respect for one program over another. This includes faculty and colleagues in residency, local pediatric dentists, and others at annual meetings. The topic simply never comes up, which is why I think nobody cares. A prestigious law school will open doors for you to join large firms, but there are no real and pronounced benefits to attending one pedo program over another, assuming you have the desire to work hard and learn as much as you can.

The ONLY benefit might be networking by attending a pedo program in the location where you want to practice.

Education in any residency program can be divided into didactic and clinical. Some programs provide both, others are more heavily weighted. If you were to guage the didactic education of a program, you might look at board passage rate, although not every resident is interested in becoming board certified after graduation as it is time consuming, not required for specialty practice, and expensive to do and maintain. Board passage rate may give you a small glimpse of the programs resident goals and outcome, but again, maybe not.

i have 2 fellow associates applying to pedo and apparently even the ones where you pay tuition are VERY competitive to get into! I think pedo is slowly becoming one of the hardest, most desirable specialties these days. Too bad i cant STAND treating anyone under 15!