Best phone calls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
3AM: "Patient c/o 10/10 pain has epidural we aren't allowed to give CD, please come assess."

Call back.

What surgery did patient have?

R total shoulder.

... And they have an epidural?

Yes.

It's a PNC please pay attention to the catheters you are bolus'ing.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Got asked by one of the pre-op holding nurses if I could please start an IV on a patient. She tried several times and was a difficult stick. Found this when I walked in (Please note that the tourniquet isn't even on )

bda08860a00adc14f8d7116b97348843.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Got asked by one of the pre-op holding nurses if I could please start an IV on a patient. She tried several times and was a difficult stick. Found this when I walked in (Please note that the tourniquet isn't even on )

that vein looks like it may roll a little. i can see how an inexperienced nurse would mess it up hahaha

Members don't see this ad :)
While on call, we sometimes get pain patient calls for "urgent" matters.

This was my favorite 3AM phone call
Patient: I was just prescribed a new medication, a fentanyl patch, a couple days ago.
Me: Yes, what's the problem.
Patient: It just fell off. What should I do?
Me: Put it back on. Good night.

I'd probably use an ultrasound for that vein, put a 20g in, wire it and then switch it out for a foley catheter...

I'd probably use an ultrasound for that vein, put a 20g in, wire it and then switch it out for a foley catheter...

It's too bad that wasn't in the PACU. It would have been the perfect opportunity to place a 24g IV and walk away laughing hysterically...

Reactions: 1 user

where do i get 12 gauge IVs?

Covering acute pain service, was woken by this page around 4am: "Just capped Patient X's ACNC for planned removal later today. FYI looks like there was fluid leaking around the catheter under the tegaderm"

could probably do dialysis through that thing