Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Best Physiology Text and why

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by 8675309, Mar 18, 2001.

1. 8675309

8675309 Member

Please post what you think are the best physiology books and why
    Thank you

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ganong. I thought the text was more user friendly than...geez, I am TOTALLY blanking - you know, the OTHER guy. He goes on and on about his experiments with the dogs. I didn't really care and it didn't help me understand the material better.

There's an old book by Vick which is outstanding as well; wish he would write an updated version.

GUYTON - that's it. Didn't care for it.

4. gp

gp Member

Don't have a recommendation for what to buy - but I really don't like Berne and Levy a whole lot.

5. Doreen

Doreen Member

Attending Physician
    In my opinion, the best physiology book is the Saunders Text and Review Series (STARS) by Linda Costanzo. It is the easiest to understand. The BRS Physiology Book by Linda Costanzo is a condensed version of the STARS text.

6. Pilot

Pilot Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Our offical text is Guyton - I thought it was OK. Last year the text used was Costanza, but the admin decided it was to easy to understand ("undergrad level" was how they phrased it), so it was discarded in favor of Guyton. I have the physiology review by Costanza, and thought it helped fill in a lot of gaps left by Guyton and the instructor (especially in Cardio and Respiratory).

7. Liquid_Tension

Liquid_Tension Senior Member

Berne and Levy is sitting on my bookshelf right now, and I read a good portion of the book when I took physio. However, I was not that happy with the book. There is tons of useless facts in the book that a doctor would never need to know. The book can really drive you nuts with all the information.
    -your most overloaded Liquid

8. Dr.No

Dr.No Member

Berne and Levy sucks, in our school we referred do it as " Burn and Leave it" I relied on BRS physiology and NMS physiology, and I did pretty well in the class

9. BeeGee

BeeGee Member

Costanza's STARS REVIEW and the BRS were enough to pass, but Guyton and Hall is needed to cover the weaker areas (Cardiovascular and Renal especially). --Bee Gee

10. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member

we use Vander's "Human Physiology". But it is for a joint undergraduate/PT class. not medschool. it does talk about diseases and such though. my brother is an MS1 and thinks it's pretty good for his use.

I need a good bio engineering physio book. neccesary and sufficient condition for good: full of differential equations (for cardiac and respiration)

11. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member

oh... i forgot, why i like vanders.

lot of good pictures to explain processes.

Encourages thinking (along lines of homeostasis being the fundamental basis for physio).

study guide to test you (i never had time for that though...)

12. reproductivebiologist

Pre-Veterinary
  13. jih

jih lub-dub-AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Medical Student
    In my UG physiology (taken by BME UG, pharmacy students, and nursing students) class we used Vanders. The text was very good - everything that is complicated is fully explained by a diagram, and the presentation is excellent. It was probably my favorite textbook in undergrad. I almost aced the exams after reading the text and skipping all of the lectures.

Sent from my SM-G925V using SDN mobile

14. eteshoe

eteshoe .......

MD/PhD Student
  15. cbrons

cbrons Ratatoskr! *Roar*

Non-Student
    Check out Boron and Boeulpaep then

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. cbrons

cbrons Ratatoskr! *Roar*

Non-Student
    I want to also endorse the Dr. Najeeb lectures for physio. They are quite amazing.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

18. jih

jih lub-dub-AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Medical Student
    Damn I really need to look at dates lol