Best place for a resident to live in Miami (Jackson Memorial)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deejay Khaled

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm currently in the middle of my TY year -- I'll be starting at Jackson Memorial in Miami, FL in July. Wanted to start at least considering where to live.

I'm thinking Downtown, Brickell, Edgewater or Wynwood. I was also thinking Mid/South Beach, but I've heard traffic, parking and flooding could make this a headache.

Ideals for me:
- $2K or less, newly renovated,
- Balcony view, high-rise over water
- Easy commute to hospital (<15 min). Will be bringing car.
- Close proximity to public transport

Seems like Downtown fits the bill moreso than Brickell, which is a little further, but has tons of new condominiums. Still, wanted to see if any past residents could offer advice. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Current JMH/UM resident here. In my opinion, Brickell is the most convenient. It is the only one of those listed that no matter where you live in the area you are a 5-10 minute walk from the Metro. I personally live in Brickell and I can get from my apartment door (not building door) to inside the resident room in 25 minutes. The Metro has a stop directly between the VA, UMH, and JMH. If you don't mind driving, Edgewood and Wynwood are super close to JMH as well. Wynnwood is an up and coming area, but still in a kind of shady area. The downside to parking is that, depending upon which lot you get assigned to, you could end up walking across campus to get to where you need to be. This could take you 15-20 minutes and in the summertime can be pretty miserable (as it can be 90 degrees by 7:30).