Best place for MSI (Year 4) training in EM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cure4cancer

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for a great tertiary care center anywhere in the Country to wrap up my medical school experience! I want lots of trauma, and crazy TV-type stuff (if possible)! So far I've been suggested:

1. Maryland shock and trauma in Baltimore*
2. New York Presbyterian
3. Lincoln hospital in the Bronx

I'm looking for some suggestions out west though - maybe in the California area as well before I make my pick.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would add USC-LAC overnight resus if you are looking for some TV drama stuff.

Also quite confused about the title. What year are you?

1. Shock Trauma is run by Surgery not EM at U Maryland.

2. NYP like all Manhattan hospitals sees very little trauma.

3. Lincoln would fit your criteria as would Jacobi and Kings in NYC.

4. The best places out west would be LAC/USC and Harbor/UCLA.

That being said if you really want to see some crazy **** do an elective in Detroit or New Orleans.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to Denver and get beat up.

1. Shock Trauma is run by Surgery not EM at U Maryland.

2. NYP like all Manhattan hospitals sees very little trauma.

3. Lincoln would fit your criteria as would Jacobi and Kings in NYC.

4. The best places out west would be LAC/USC and Harbor/UCLA.

That being said if you really want to see some crazy **** do an elective in Detroit or New Orleans.

Yeah, you would probably get more of what you want at Sinai Grace in Detroit. Level 2 trauma center, but ALL procedures and medical/trauma activations (codes) are run by the ED residents, with surgical backup where appropriate. Even though it is a level 2 center, trauma goes to the nearest hospital in Detroit, and Grace is in the most dangerous part of the city, so you see more trauma there than you do at Receiving, the associated Level 1 tertiary center. In a short month rotation there, saw numerous GSWs, MVAs, and even an ED thoracotomy done by the senior ED residents with supervision by the surgical attending. Would be a very demanding place to be a resident, but you will see a TON of stuff.

Hi Sorry for the confusion, 4th year Canadian student looking for an 'away' elective.
Thanks for all the tips!

Hi Sorry for the confusion, 4th year Canadian student looking for an 'away' elective.
Thanks for all the tips!

Have you taken STEP1 though? Because most rotation sites will ask you for a copy of your STEP1 score. Also, most VSAS applications went live ~2 weeks ago. Have you filled out all that paperwork?

any inner city hospital that supports a population with poverty/drugs/violence will fit the bill.
you'll see a ton but how much do you get to actually do is another question. there's a hierarchy on procedures
the military has rotations at brookdale hospital in brooklyn, it's on kings st? if I remember right. my brief stent there was 100% penetrating trauma from various sources. metal detectors at the doors with armed hospital security. EMS bay is fenced off and entrance guarded by off duty NYPD. that kinda stuff. this was >10yrs ago post 9-11 so I don't know how it is today
at that time there wasn't students/ED residents but I heard a program has developed so maybe an opportunity for you

any inner city hospital that supports a population with poverty/drugs/violence will fit the bill.
you'll see a ton but how much do you get to actually do is another question. there's a hierarchy on procedures
the military has rotations at brookdale hospital in brooklyn, it's on kings st? if I remember right. my brief stent there was 100% penetrating trauma from various sources. metal detectors at the doors with armed hospital security. EMS bay is fenced off and entrance guarded by off duty NYPD. that kinda stuff. this was >10yrs ago post 9-11 so I don't know how it is today
at that time there wasn't students/ED residents but I heard a program has developed so maybe an opportunity for you

Brookdale is probably your best bet for trauma in NYC. Manhattan is pretty safe nowadays and the other boroughs have been cleaned up quite a bit. The area Brookdale serves is probably the most dangerous in NYC.

I rotated at Lincoln specifically for the inner city/trauma experience, definitely got the inner city/county hospital experience but not much trauma- Over 14 x 12 hour shifts I saw one minor slashing, two minor GSW's and a blunt traumatic arrest....did not see any trauma procedures other than FAST. For comparison, the morning I interviewed at Brookdale they had two traumatic arrests while I was there.

Reactions: 1 user
Seattle Grace Mercy West Hospital. Absolutely crazy trauma and medical cases they get there!

Reactions: 1 users