cwb

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2003
Status (Visible)
I've been volunteering at a hospital for a while now, I've been in the skilled nursing department which I find to be extremely boring. I like the patient interactions, but I don't like walking around looking for stuff to do, and I also don't like nurses treating me like I'm just a nuisance. Now I realize this is quite common (that is hospital volunteering being dull) but are there any places where you actually stay busy and don't feel like a waste of humun life while volunteering?

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
too bad you arent at a childrens hospital. the one i went to, every floor needed help with the children there.

maybe you can ask the nurses or the docs there to see if you can do something like shadow?

Brickhouse

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2003
LA2DC and back again...
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I'm in Labor and Delivery at my hospital, and although there is a lot of waiting around, when you do get to see something or help out, it's well worth it.

About the Ads

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
I really can't think of any hospital department where things are fun all the time. At the hospital I volunteer at, there's an organized patient-visiting program, so volunteers go to talk with in-patients during daytime. Some other volunteers play with kids that live on the pediatrics floor. But besides those, most other departments are rather boring.

Oh and by the way, JLee...how did you get up to 3000 posts? Which days are you actually NOT on SDN? Talk about obsession with bulletin boards! :p

blueberry

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2004
Status (Visible)
It really depends. Generally on hospital floors/normal wards I've noticed that you mostly stand around and don't do much (or only do things that are peripherally medical-related). I know some will argue that it is valuable to do things that may not be directly medically-related, I tend to argue that in that case, there'd be no difference then going to a daycare/elderly center then (i.e. waste of time). I say definitely try the ER if you want more action, or a local clinic (if the ppl at that clinic is willing to teach you stuff).

My advice is to just try out one hospital first, and try switching if you don't get anything out of it. I don't quite agree with the previous poster that you get more stuff to do at a children's hospital. That has not been my experience.

citygirl

Land of Happy Cows
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2003
San Francisco
Status (Visible)
Hospice............its the one place where its important to just sit and listen to people. The nurses don't have time for that. Not to put down nurses, they just have too much to do and too many patients.

F

ForensicPath

Emergency is fun as long as its a level 1. My suggestion would be to see if you can volunteer in the hospital morgue or at least get down there to watch an autopsy every once in a while (although a forensic autopsy would be more fun).

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by docmemi
Emergency or trauma room!!

Wait, so you had two screen names after all....? How did you get 300+ posts already for this new screen name?

docmemi

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2003
Los Angeles, Calif.
Status (Visible)
calbe, no. i had trojan2004. one of the moderators changed it for me. my old posts got transferred. i like the new name much better. memi is my nickname (btw, im a boy. its pronounced maymi).

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I really enjoyed working in the pediatric department... volunteering is so much more worthwhile if you get to interact with patients (in my opinion).

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by docmemi
calbe, no. i had trojan2004. one of the moderators changed it for me. my old posts got transferred. i like the new name much better. memi is my nickname (btw, im a boy. its pronounced maymi).

Sounds Japanese to me!
I don't know that you could do that. I would have done with with my old screen name, but oh well, doesn't matter.

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by CalBeE
Oh and by the way, JLee...how did you get up to 3000 posts? Which days are you actually NOT on SDN? Talk about obsession with bulletin boards! :p

youd be up there too if you didnt start over with your new meaty name ;).

haha im not sdn that long. i check mornings before i head for work. late nights during the week to help me go to sleep. and just randomly post as im doing stuff over the weekends. no obsession. :laugh:

just devotion to helping out the preallo thread :D

greggth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2003
www.mdapplicants.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Shadow a doctor in the emergency room. It gives you a peek at a good variety of procedures and patients.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.